[COMPLETE] Christianity and Liberalism, by J. Gresham Machen - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Christianity and Liberalism, by J. Gresham Machen (1881 - 1937)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/christianity-and-liberalism-by-john-gresham-machen/
The purpose of this book is not to decide the religious issue of the present day, but merely to present the issue as sharply and clearly as possible, in order that the reader may be aided in deciding it for himself...In the sphere of religion, in particular, the present time is a time of conflict; the great redemptive religion which has always been known as Christianity is battling against a totally diverse type of religious belief, which is only the more destructive of the Christian faith because it makes use of traditional Christian terminology. This modern non-redemptive religion is called “modernism” or “liberalism.”...we shall be interested in showing that despite the liberal use of traditional phraseology modern liberalism not only is a different religion from Christianity but belongs in a totally different class of religions. (Summary Adapted from Introduction)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/christianitylibe00mach_0/page/n6/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2021-07-18

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Christianity and Liberalism. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Christianity and Liberalism, by J. Gresham Machen. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Christianity and Liberalism, by J. Gresham Machen. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Christianity and Liberalism, by J. Gresham Machen."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: christianityliberalism_##_machen_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. christianityliberalism_01_machen_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on July 16th, 2021, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I'm slightly proliferating projects here but I had pre-recorded all these files before I embarked on my current solo and I had the time today to edit them so it should just be a case of upload and ready to go. End defence of proliferating projects.

A fun fact is that the archive.org copy that I recorded from was presented by the author himself to the library that scanned it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC. Be back in a bit with the MW.

EDIT: All set. If you don't get a DPL, I might do it myself. It sounds interesting. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: July 17th, 2021, 8:00 am I'll MC. Be back in a bit with the MW.

EDIT: All set. If you don't get a DPL, I might do it myself. It sounds interesting. :)
All candidates accepted! All files uploaded.

There are some who would say this was the most important Christian book of the '20s.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: July 17th, 2021, 8:00 am I'll MC. Be back in a bit with the MW.

Shall I post the prooflistening template or is this one that you'd like to have a listen to yourself?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, I see Tricia is going to PL, so that lets me off the hook for a book by the author of my beginning Greek book!
This is one that I might actually download just to listen too. :D
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Larry, if you want to split the PL'ing, I'd be happy to share with you. I'm not sure how long this will take me. :)

I've downloaded the first 4.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TriciaG wrote: July 18th, 2021, 10:25 am Larry, if you want to split the PL'ing, I'd be happy to share with you. I'm not sure how long this will take me. :)

I've downloaded the first 4.
I'm game!
I'll take the last three.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:thumbs: