COMPLETE [FORTNIGHTLY POEM] Wilderness, by Carl Sandburg - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Wilderness, by Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/wilderness-by-carl-sandburg/

Volunteers outside the USA: Carl Sandburg died in 1967. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
This fortnightly prose poem is guaranteed to locate the aboriginal poet in you! Come one come all. Please join in and find the wolf lurking within! :D (Summary by Michele Fry)
Each fortnight a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This fortnight's poem can be found here.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Begin your reading with 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning, then say
Wilderness by Carl Sandburg, read for librivox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, and/or your location.]
Then read the poem:
THERE is a wolf in me … fangs pointed for tearing gashes … a red tongue for raw meat … and the hot lapping of blood—I keep this wolf because the wilderness gave it to me and the wilderness will not let it go.

There is a fox in me … a silver-gray fox … I sniff and guess … I pick things out of the wind and air … I nose in the dark night and take sleepers and eat them and hide the feathers … I circle and loop and double-cross.

There is a hog in me … a snout and a belly … a machinery for eating and grunting … a machinery for sleeping satisfied in the sun—I got this too from the wilderness and the wilderness will not let it go.

There is a fish in me … I know I came from saltblue water-gates … I scurried with shoals of herring … I blew waterspouts with porpoises … before land was … before the water went down … before Noah … before the first chapter of Genesis.

There is a baboon in me … clambering-clawed … dog-faced … yawping a galoot’s hunger … hairy under the armpits … here are the hawk-eyed hankering men … here are the blond and blue-eyed women … here they hide curled asleep waiting … ready to snarl and kill … ready to sing and give milk … waiting—I keep the baboon because the wilderness says so.

There is an eagle in me and a mockingbird … and the eagle flies among the Rocky Mountains of my dreams and fights among the Sierra crags of what I want … and the mockingbird warbles in the early forenoon before the dew is gone, warbles in the underbrush of my Chattanoogas of hope, gushes over the blue Ozark foothills of my wishes—And I got the eagle and the mockingbird from the wilderness.

O, I got a zoo, I got a menagerie, inside my ribs, under my bony head, under my red-valve heart—and I got something else: it is a man-child heart, a woman-child heart: it is a father and mother and lover: it came from God-Knows-Where: it is going to God-Knows-Where—For I am the keeper of the zoo: I say yes and no: I sing and kill and work: I am a pal of the world: I came from the wilderness.
At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wilderness_sandburg_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3 (e.g. wilderness_sandburg_klh_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: aradlaw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm: ss). Watch this thread for proof listening notes.

When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalog page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)

Check back in a day or so for any feedback regarding your reading.

Deadline: Please submit your recording by 0600 GMT Sunday, July 25th (12:00 NOON CST)

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

And remember, anyone can suggest a poem or coordinate an upcoming Fortnightly Poetry project! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future project, please visit this thread.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by msfry on July 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Michele, the MW is up, I will wait until you see this before moving to Short Works.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Michele -

Let me start this off -

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sandburg_ps_128kb.mp3
Track length: 3:13
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded my red in tooth and claw version of Wilderness
with corrected volume.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sandburg_wj_128kb.mp3
03:45
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Fritz and Bill. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning! :)
LeeSalter

Post by LeeSalter »

ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sandburg_at_128kb.mp3
Coming in @ 3:03
Let me know if specs are ok on this. I did it a little differently. :hmm:
Warmly,
Arthur
msfry

Post by msfry »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: July 13th, 2021, 3:04 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sandburg_at_128kb.mp3
Coming in @ 3:03
Let me know if specs are ok on this. I did it a little differently. :hmm:
Warmly,
Arthur
Thanks Arthur. Volume checks out at 82dB. We shoot for 89dB. Please amplify by +7, and in future recordings on this setup, you can safely increase your mike's volume, or maybe if you use Audacity, bring your volume slider up, or bring the mike closer to your mouth, or a bit of all three. I recommend you download the Checker program, so you can check your tech specs for yourself. It's right handy.

Reload and I'll check it again.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thank you, Michele, for a nice selection! I wanted to make sure to read it before going away on vacay in a couple days

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sanburg_sws_128kb.mp3
2:53

Scotty
msfry

Post by msfry »

SWS is PL OK. Have a nice vacay! Keep your menagerie in check, and please do send us a post card. :P
brucek

Post by brucek »

msfry

Post by msfry »

BK is OK. And I am convinced that you did come from the wilderness! :lol:
speaker987

Post by speaker987 »

My weekly attempt at a Wild read- hope it sound ok! :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sandburg_dn_128kb.mp3
Length 2min 41 secs

Darrell
msfry

Post by msfry »

speaker987 wrote: July 14th, 2021, 4:52 pm My weekly attempt at a Wild read- hope it sound ok! :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wilderness_sandburg_dn_128kb.mp3
Length 2min 41 secs

Darrell
I believe I do detect a "wild" southern accent! Love it. PL OK.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »