[COMPLETE]The Boy Scouts at the Battle of Saratoga, by Herbert Carter - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Ok :D , As a PL can you suggest new books to the forum? And is it possible for me to PL a project just to get a feel of what it’s all about? Where might I find projects for PLing or where can I volunteer and pick a new book?
Ella
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

EllaTandilyan wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:08 pm Ok :D , As a PL can you suggest new books to the forum? And is it possible for me to PL a project just to get a feel of what it’s all about? Where might I find projects for PLing or where can I volunteer and pick a new book?

The best way to tell if a project needs a DPL is if you see a tilde (~) in the subject title. You can see them in this forum, plus in the Going Solo forum. But, I just picked up a new project in the Launch Pad (which is a great place to look as well), and it is a nice short group project run by silverquill (Larry). He does a great job mentoring new DPL's if you would like to check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88442
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Hi icequeen! There seem to be a lot of Tom Swift books out there, but there are more on Gutenberg that people haven’t read yet. How can I suggest “Tom Swift and his Motorcycle” and create a project?
Ella
DanielMaddux

Post by DanielMaddux »

I'd like to start reading chapters (I had my one-minute test approved). How do I make sure that I match the pronunciation of other readers when it comes to unusual names? Also, is there a way to know what voices the key characters are being read in? For example, if previous readers gave a character a low voice, but I gave them a high voice, that could be jarrring.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

DanielMaddux wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:57 am I'd like to start reading chapters (I had my one-minute test approved). How do I make sure that I match the pronunciation of other readers when it comes to unusual names? Also, is there a way to know what voices the key characters are being read in? For example, if previous readers gave a character a low voice, but I gave them a high voice, that could be jarrring.
It doesn't matter if you match what pitch other readers have given to any of the characters of the book. That is the beauty of group projects, each reader gives their own interpretation to the story. Some people use different voices, some don't, and both ways are fine. I normally don't call out people for what might be a mispronunciation of a particular word. Many English words are pronounced differently in different parts of the word, what is correct here may not be correct in England, and vice versa. The bottom line, don't over think it. Just do what you would do and don't worry about what others had done. So, what would you like to claim?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

EllaTandilyan wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:31 am Hi icequeen! There seem to be a lot of Tom Swift books out there, but there are more on Gutenberg that people haven’t read yet. How can I suggest “Tom Swift and his Motorcycle” and create a project?
Yes, there are a bunch of Tom Swift books, and a bunch that have not been made into an audiobook. Are you wanting to put together your own group project? If so, you don't need to suggest it anywhere, you just put it together and launch the project. I do suggest that you get a little bit of experience as a DPL first, and read for a few projects or do a solo project. Having a little bit of experience running your own project, which is what you do in a solo project, is the best place to start learning about running a group project. The hardest thing is managing the different readers. You have to answer questions like: How do I want the project set up and read? Can I keep up if the project gets popular? What do I do if a reader doesn't get their sections in before the deadline? Is there a deadline? I know that LibriVox is fun and exciting, but I have seen too many people who get excited, start claiming sections and starting projects all over the place, then walk away because they burn themselves out. Or they find out that running 10 group projects, DPL'ing 10 projects (with more than 50 sections that need to be listened to very quickly), running 2 Dramatic Readings and 3 solo projects doesn't leave a lot of time for school.

So, with all that said, why don't you read that Tom Swift book as a solo project? The biggest thing that you need to do first is to fix the one section you already have in here, please. We need to get your technical stuff taken care of first, before you launch yourself on a fun journey through LibriVox.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Ok, I’ll finish here, but how do I launch a project?
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Ok, I’ll finish here, but how do I launch a project? I’ll only ever do one at a time.
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

I homeschool, so the educational branch is not a big deal.......
Ella
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, just as long as school is your priority, and your homework is done ( :lol: ), then you can start your own project! (Yes, I am a mom!) OK, here is the post you need to check out, telling you how to set up a solo project. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

As far as one doing one solo project at a time, I do recommend only one at a time. I know LV is a lot of fun, but we all have to limit ourselves. There are tons of books out there, and we do take more than one copy of every book. There is plenty of time to record many books!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

Here's chapter 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/boyscoutssaratoga_09_carter_128kb.mp3 (26:19)

On the subject of school...when this year starts, I won't have much time for LV work. *sigh* That's what I get for self-mutilation by 5 AP courses a semester.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I'd also like to take section 14.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Lector1 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 2:08 pm Here's chapter 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/boyscoutssaratoga_09_carter_128kb.mp3 (26:19)

On the subject of school...when this year starts, I won't have much time for LV work. *sigh* That's what I get for self-mutilation by 5 AP courses a semester.
Oh no! You are so right about that self-mutilation! I watched both of my kids torture themselves with 5 AP classes, so much work! And then the test! :roll: I feel for you!

Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 9 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Hi Ann,

I have my chapters ready to go, but thought I would check a couple pronunciations so I can fix them before submitting for PL if necessary. I should have done that earlier :oops:

I used: "La-Gate" for Ira's name, a silent "Y" for "Schuyler", and "Le-Jay" for St. Leger. I found multiple pronunciations for St. Leger and just want to use whatever will be consistent for the rest of the book.
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-