[COMPLETE] The Wind by Dorothy Scarborough - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The Wind, by Dorothy Scarborough (1878 - 1935)

This project is now complete. All recordings can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-wind-by-dorothy-scarborough/

"prarie madness". Better summary to follow. (Summary by Ava)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b312460

Target completion date: 2021-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Literary Fiction
Keywords that describe the book: western, Texas, depression, woman, solitude, mental illness, prairie madness
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
[quote]"Prologue# of The Wind. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Wind, by Dorothy Scarborough. Section Title."[/quote]

For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The Wind, by Dorothy Scarborough. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Wind, by Dorothy Scarborough."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wind_##_scarborough_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wind_01_scarborough_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

My next solo. Somebody has expressed interest in being DPL for this book; I'll wait for her to check in.

Not sure when I can start this, we seem to have a rainy week ahead here.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah you launched it already, yes, I'd like to listen to this :)

Maybe windy days would be appropriate to record this one :mrgreen:

Let's go !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty wrote: June 27th, 2021, 1:11 am Maybe windy days would be appropriate to record this one :mrgreen:
You're not trying to drive me mad, are you? :shock:
But if you have to listen to it with the wind howling in the background... wouldn't be a healthy experience for you either, I'd guess. :hmm:

Oh well, I'll try not to have you wait too long. :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: June 27th, 2021, 1:44 amYou're not trying to drive me mad, are you? :shock:
But if you have to listen to it with the wind howling in the background... wouldn't be a healthy experience for you either, I'd guess. :hmm:
no probably not. That excerpt I saw from the silent movie was bad enough. They kept making orchestral noise for that howling wind, so the audience probably got their money's worth from it. "Silent" was not really an accurate description for that one. :lol:

I have time, not need to hurry, it's not as if I didn't have a piling up of PL work after this weekend. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, let me pile up one more... :mrgreen:
I've completed the prologue, it's short and sweet and doesn't start the story at all. Horses! 8-)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and a great start, Availle. Already I like the style of the author and looking forward to more. This is a sort of gothic story with a western-style setting and the wind as antagonist. A really creepy feeling already tingles while listening.

Perfectly narrated of course :) PL ok.

Thank you for letting me be part of this.

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Chapter 1 is up. A looong trainride. We get to know two of the characters. And the wind too, of course.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow, a strong start, already the wind is a malevolent presence in the novel. The stories that Wirtt tells Letty are not really helping her staying quiet. I didn't like the part with the dying cow, I always feel sorry if animals are hurt in books :( But it's really craftily written and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Only one cut to make:

> from 42:45 to 42:49: (p. 28) stumble and repeat can be cut: "she wouldn't notice him any more"

The rest: excellently narrated :thumbs: thanks

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Chapter 1 fixed, chapter 2 is up.

I have two more recorded, not sure how far I'll get with editing today.
It's not super windy yet. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: August 28th, 2021, 7:46 pmChapter 1 fixed, chapter 2 is up.
wow, the desolation in this place is chilling :( I think I would have been on the next train home :lol: Shows one again that one should not blindly trust the pastor ;) he definitely made the wrong call for Letty. She is getting a bit on my nerves by making herself so helpless and scared. :roll: But I start to like Lige.

Excellently narrated again, I really enjoy the style of the author too. Looking forward to more.

Chapter 1 is now PL ok.

Two small edits for Chapter 2:

> at 12:17: (p. 46) stumble and repeat: "though a little shy"
> at 42:15: (p. 63) "his eyes narrowed with a far gaze" - you say "fair". May be optional, but "far" is probably better fitting for the gaze of this cowboy used to endless desert views

Could I please ask you to leave the page number in the notes section until I have PLed ? That way I find the page faster in the book. Otherwise I always have to go to the next chapter and scroll some 20 pages back. I can remove the number once I have finished.

Thanks

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Desolation? Wait until you meet Cora...

Thanks for the edit notes, I'll have a look at these.

As for the page numbers, I can keep them in, but alternatively, there is a "Jump to section" at the left hand side. The section numbers are off by 2, so what is called "section 5" is actually chapter 3.
Just found that out myself and I'm super thrilled about this new feature. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:53 amDesolation? Wait until you meet Cora...
yes I fear she may be a dragon by the few things I heard about her.
As for the page numbers, I can keep them in, but alternatively, there is a "Jump to section" at the left hand side. The section numbers are off by 2, so what is called "section 5" is actually chapter 3.
Just found that out myself and I'm super thrilled about this new feature. :thumbs:
ah ok, I'll use that one then. Thanks

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Chapter 2 fixed and re-upped; chapter 3 added.
Here comes the family and the neighbors!

I actually already recorded up to chapter 8, but they are looong ones, so editing feels like quite the drag. Still hoping to be done recording at least by the end of the month. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: September 11th, 2021, 3:41 amChapter 2 fixed and re-upped
Chapter 2 PL ok.

Will get to Chapter 3 soon, it's next on my to-do list. I decided to work off the backlog alphabetically, so naturally with a title like "The Wind" your project was at the bottom, sorry about that.
I actually already recorded up to chapter 8, but they are looong ones, so editing feels like quite the drag.
:shock: I used to do bulk-recording but I also noticed that having so many sections to edit, staring at me reproachfully, was not something I liked. So nowadays I edit immediately after one recorded section, that way it's done and dusted and I don't have to think about it anymore.

Sonia