[COMPLETE] The Wind by Dorothy Scarborough - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Interesting how everybody has their own system with doing things on here! :lol:
No problem with the "delay", I'll be around for a while still.

As for recording/editing/repeat, I can't do that. I can only record for a few hours after 8 in the evening when everything is quiet except a few yakuza on motorcycles and the occasional ambulance or fire engine. My standard projects allow me maybe 3 sections per evening (with breaks in between); if I had to do the editing then too, I would never get anything done. I reserve the edits for rainy evenings or the weekend daytime.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: September 15th, 2021, 6:20 amAs for recording/editing/repeat, I can't do that. I can only record for a few hours after 8 in the evening when everything is quiet except a few yakuza on motorcycles and the occasional ambulance or fire engine. My standard projects allow me maybe 3 sections per evening (with breaks in between); if I had to do the editing then too, I would never get anything done. I reserve the edits for rainy evenings or the weekend daytime.
yes that was my reason for bulk-recording as well, the few hours of "alone" where I could record. For the moment though, my method of taking it slower is suiting me better.

And I listened to Chapter 3. Cora is a bitch, Bev is a push-over and Sourdough is a show-off :lol: I have assessed them all. Poor Lettie, she really should have stayed in the East. The thought of sharing a room with the children would be horrible for me.

Just found a small bit missing, it might be optional though, I think one can find out it's Cora saying these things:

> at 23:23: (p. 80) missed bit: "remarked Cora".

The rest was perfect. Thanks

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've been busy with editing!

Chapter 4 .... where we hear more about Cora and the kids, take a trip over to the neighbours, and are invited to a party.
Chapter 5 .... where we dance through the night at a real cowboy party.
Chapter 6 .... where we experience disappointment and heartbreak.
Chapter 7 .... where Cora and Letty come to blows, and so does the wind...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: September 17th, 2021, 7:41 pmChapter 4 .... where we hear more about Cora and the kids, take a trip over to the neighbours, and are invited to a party.
Cora is the kind of person that doesn't want other women around her to take away part of her glory. :roll: And Letty is too shy and naive to fight her. Poor thing. Now who of those two will she marry ? :lol:

You've been busy :shock: Chapter 4 is already PL ok. Will try to get to them all over the weekend or Monday at the latest.

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think Cora doesn't like anyone to steal her thunder. :lol: I once met somebody like that offline, in a rather small group of people. We were sitting around talking about all sorts of stuff, but she couldn't bear the conversation not involving her. A minute tops, then she had to interject and make it about herself again. Quite funny to watch, once you realise what's going on...

Anyway, thank you! No rush with PLing just because I'm on a roll here. 8-)

Speaking of which, here's
Chapter 8 .... where a rash decision is finalised and promptly regretted.
Chapter 9 .... where spring doesn't bring any flowers but an unexpected visitor instead.

Chapter 3 is fixed too.
No worries, I'm out of files to edit, now I have to start recording again. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:45 pmI once met somebody like that offline, in a rather small group of people. We were sitting around talking about all sorts of stuff, but she couldn't bear the conversation not involving her. A minute tops, then she had to interject and make it about herself again. Quite funny to watch, once you realise what's going on...
yes I think I know a few people like that as well. Since I am more the quiet listening person at any gathering, they usually don't stress me that much. I usually don't play their game though and I'm not giving them the needed attention they crave, so usually they do not seek my company anymore after a meeting or two :lol:
Chapter 3 is fixed too.
No worries, I'm out of files to edit, now I have to start recording again. :lol:
well at least I did the Spot PL on Chapter 3, it's PL ok.

I will try to do the rest tomorrow. I am a bit tired today.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 5 was a cool description of the dance gathering. And I find it a bit unbelievable that Cora would be so much in love with Bev, who doesn't seem at all her kind of type.

Only one small repeat to snip:

> at 18:39: (p. 131) repeat, can be cut once: "he chuckled"

the rest is perfect :) thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 6 was inevitable...of course those two want to marry Letty now. But how embarrassing to let her choose while they are both in the room. I bet Cora will bully her into marrying one of them now :lol: Reminds me of the situation in Paint the Wagon, if you have ever seen that movie.

Totally PL ok right away. I love all the little giggles :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 7: aha, now the wind is coming to the rescue and Lige is taking shameless advantage of Letty's fear to secure her marriage vows. :evil: Well, he seems to be the better of those two anyway, but still.... it was a bit unfair. I wonder why Sourdough didn't anticipate this, she would also have said yes to him that night :lol:

Cora must be happy now. :roll:

This time I found a few more errors:

> at 18:01: (p. 167) "their yapping, lugubrious cries" – you say "lapping"

> at 27:40: (p. 172) "very unlike their usual noise" – you say "unusual"

> at 34:02: (p. 175) "she mustn't let her fancy run away with her reason" – I think I hear "treason"

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 8: first weeks of married life. It's so heartbreaking to read about Letty's shattered dreams :( And the description of the wind and sand as evil entities is very craftily done. It's really a sort of gothic horror-story in a way. Letty is about to go mad if this continues.

Totally PL ok.

One more to go and then I'm caught up.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 9: ah yes, I was wondering when Wirtt Roddy would show up again. Letty probably would have preferred to marry him, why didn't he come earlier ? Not sure I like the guy though...too glib. And Letty's desolation goes on...

Excellently narrated again and PL ok.

A great book, I'm not sorry I signed up for the ride.

Thanks

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm very glad you like it! And I'm curious where it's going...

The next chapter is a bit long, 30 pages. (That'll take me an hour or more to record. :shock: ) but the rest are comparatively short then. only 6 to go!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've fixed the PL notes for chapter 5 and 7. Not sure I can do more right now, maybe after my appointment.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:23 pmI've fixed the PL notes for chapter 5 and 7. Not sure I can do more right now, maybe after my appointment.
perfectly patched and PL ok now for both chapters :thumbs:

Thanks, hope the appointment went well :)

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here cometh

chapter 10, where the cows go off to greener pastures (literally), and instead we get visitors. Some are welcome, some not quite so.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com