[COMPLETE] The Last Secrets by John Buchan - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

The Last Secrets, by John Buchan (1875 - 1940)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-last-secrets-by-john-buchan/
The author, John Buchan, maintains that "the main lines of the earth's architecture have been determined" during the first two decades of the twentieth century, and all that remains is but "amplifying our knowledge of the groyning and buttresses and stone-work." In this history of exploration, he tells of nine of those momentous final discoveries that placed the earth's last big secrets firmly on the map, from the mysterious "cloud city" of Lhasa, to the slopes--but not yet the summit--of Mount Everest. (Summary by Steven Seitel)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lastsecretsfinal00buchuoft/page/n7

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C); *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography/Exploration

Keywords that describe the book: exploration, discovery

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Last Secrets. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Last Secrets, by John Buchan. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Last Secrets, by John Buchan. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Last Secrets, by John Buchan."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thelastsecrets_##_buchan_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thelastsecrets_01_buchan_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Steven Seitel on July 11th, 2021, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Well, here goes. I've been interested in reading this one since TriciaG suggested it in the New Books forum. Thanks, Tricia! :D

It's a tale--no, nine tales--of triumphs and hardships and great contributions to our understanding of Earth's geography. Join me for the ride, won't you?

Steve
Last edited by Steven Seitel on June 22nd, 2021, 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. Enjoy. Sounds like a fun book.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Thanks, Dave. :D Populating the MW now.

Steve

Edit: I miscounted the number of sections, apparently. There are only nine chapters, plus the preface read separately. Can you fix? Thanks.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Edit: I miscounted the number of sections, apparently. There are only nine chapters, plus the preface read separately. Can you fix? Thanks.
Extra section deleted.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Sunrise 2020 has agreed to be DPL. Thank you, Susanne! :D

Steve
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

I’m looking forward to being part of the team and to a great story :D
==========
Susanne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Sunrise 2020 added to the team! Moving topic to Going Solo forum.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Great! Welcome all to the team and now let's have some fun! :D
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Snow-capped mountains and unknown cities....This will be fun!

PL of sections 0 and 1 is fine.
==========
Susanne
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

And deep gorges... :lol:

Chapter 02, The Gorges of the Bhramaputra
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/thelastsecrets_02_buchan_128kb.mp3 (16:28)

Steve
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Chapter 03, The North Pole is very long. I've broken it into two parts, following the printed text.

Chapter 03-1 The North Pole, Part 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/thelastsecrets_03-1_buchan_128kb.mp3 (39:51)

Dave...I don't know how to assign the reader (me) to the new section (Chapter 03-2). Can you help? Thanks. :help:

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Done!

Next to the Add Section button on the section compiler page is an Assign Reader button. You also have to go to the Project Screen page though and increase the number of sections by one (in this case to 11).
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Thanks Dave...very helpful. :D

But...I'm still confused. I used the "BC Admin" link to enter the section compiler page, and the "add section" button to add the new section. That worked fine. Then I tried the "assign reader sections" button, entered the new section number and my name. It seemed to accept it, but when I popped back into the project thread and updated, the "reader" for the new section was still blank. I'm still doing something wrong, apparently. :hmm:

By the way, I don't have permission to access to the Project Screen, or so I see when I press that button.

Can you point me to a step-by-step tutorial (or walk me through it yourself)? I should be able to do this myself next time.

Thanks, Steve