[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 17 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and this one is also PL ok, thank you, Alan. A lovely nature poem, I really liked it :9:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thank goodness. I feared you would be disappointed. Jim :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 5:28 amThank goodness. I feared you would be disappointed.
I don't think I can be disappointed so easily ;) many tried...most have failed :lol:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Yes, :lol: ! :thumbs:
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

It just so happens...that I have a lot of log knowledge. So, may I take section 2, 'The Log Driver" please?
Thanks,
Brize
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 5th, 2021, 6:42 amIt just so happens...that I have a lot of log knowledge. So, may I take section 2, 'The Log Driver" please?
you do ? how fortunate, so this section will probably be very entertaining for you. Looking forward to hearing your version 8-)

thank you for claiming, Brize !

Sonia
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Help! I am working off a quite 'rough' pdf of section 2, 'The Log Driver' and need some help with the very last word - m-a-n-e something maybe? (Frieda was totally lost with the 'Epub' version - a fourth of the letters were wrong). If anybody has a cleaner volume and can take a peek at what that final word it, I will be eternally grateful. (I struggled with other words, too, but was able to make good guesses based on inferences, etc.) It's always embarrassing to get the last sentence wrong! Thanks,
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

BrizeCrize wrote: July 5th, 2021, 11:15 amHelp! I am working off a quite 'rough' pdf of section 2, 'The Log Driver' and need some help with the very last word - m-a-n-e something maybe? (Frieda was totally lost with the 'Epub' version - a fourth of the letters were wrong). If anybody has a cleaner volume and can take a peek at what that final word it, I will be eternally grateful. (I struggled with other words, too, but was able to make good guesses based on inferences, etc.) It's always embarrassing to get the last sentence wrong!
yes the script is quite a challenge, I agree. The OCR probably has many many errors, I always work from the scanned file, magnifying it to the utmost, even though it's difficult.

Luckily I know what they are talking about here. "Peace to their manes !" is an expression from the Latin, the "manes" are the old Roman house deities, sort of your ancestors looking out for you. Here you can listen to the pronunciation: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/manes (it's the first etymology that is the correct one for this sentence)

Hope this helps :) And if that was the only word you had to guess, then you were lucky :mrgreen:

Sonia
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Kitty wrote:
Luckily I know what they are talking about here. "Peace to their manes !" is an expression from the Latin, the "manes" are the old Roman house deities, sort of your ancestors looking out for you.
Whew! That saved the day for me! "Manes" was actually my first guess, but didn't make much sense (outside of some sort of hair fetish) so I was frantically trying the other 25 letters, but wasn't even sure if I had the first four right. Latin! I should have guessed, it's always sneaking in in important places. Thanks for the help, I'll have it ready in a few days.
Brize
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Here is section 7, The Story of an Heiress. It was a bit longer than anything I've recorded before(time: 39.53), so I hope I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_07_various_128kb.mp3
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi,
I would like to do Section 4, Two Scenes From the Civil War.

JayS
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote: July 6th, 2021, 12:17 amI would like to do Section 4, Two Scenes From the Civil War.
thank you so much, Jay, this makes us fully claimed :9: and I move us over to Readers Found

And happy to have your voice in this project as well.

That means I will start prepping the next volume...stay tuned, all those who like to join again.

@FaithAnn: thank you for your section, will PL soon !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The next Rover can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=88142

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: July 5th, 2021, 3:17 pmHere is section 7, The Story of an Heiress. It was a bit longer than anything I've recorded before(time: 39.53), so I hope I didn't miss anything. Thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_07_various_128kb.mp3
thank you for this lovely tale, FaithAnn :9: I was so rooting for the reverend to get the heiress in the end and it's so sweet that it had a happy ending. Loved it.

There are a few small repetitions to cut and one sentence redo, but considering it was the longest story in this project, you really did well. :thumbs: (and I started the next Rover magazine, you may be pleased to know that plenty of sections are much shorter in that one 8-) )

Here is what needs to be corrected:

> at 9:56: (p. 268) "but a new preacher was sent to us" – there is a jump in the audio and the sentence seems incomplete. I would suggest re-recording this entire sentence and paste it here

> from 16:40 to 16:42: between "his bright smile" and "while he preached" – the pause feels much too long for a listener, definitely try to keep it under 1.5 seconds, even between paragraphs that is fully enough

> at 27:08: (p. 270) repeat "and shut me out into the void and dreary world" – can be cut once

> at 35:16: (p. 271) repeat "my brother's return and Lord E's consequent desertion" – can be cut once

> at 35:32: (p. 271) repeat "I looked back with" – can be cut

> since you reupload anyway, please use the correct filename, without leading 0 for the section this time, as we have less than 10 sections in total, we don't need a 0. rover0117_7_various_128kb

Only thing you may watch out for in future recordings is that you should watch out for extreme fluctuation in your voice/volume. You have a tendency to start off on a high note and then trail off in a softer voice. This one peak at the beginning of the sentence makes it incredibly hard to amplify the overall volume later on, so there are loud parts and soft parts and without manually correcting every peak it's nearly impossible to correct. :?

What I always do is watch the audacity waves run while I record and as soon as I see a peak (usually in the moment of excitement or at the beginning of a sentence) I stop myself, take a breath and re-start the sentence with a bit less exuberance and notice the peaks are gone. Then in the end, when the entire recording is a much more level voice, it's easy to amplify it all to about 89 dB. And as with everything: practice makes perfect, soon you will get the hang of it, of controlling the peaks better without even watching the waves roll by.

There is no need to change anything in this recording now, but it's something that you may watch out for in upcoming sections (I hope there will be plenty more)

Thanks

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Here's the new one. I re-recorded a lot of it, trying to get rid of the peaks so maybe it's better now.The repeats and the audio jumps should be gone now too.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_7_various_128kb.mp3
Time: 36.22
Thanks!
Faithann