[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 17 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Logjam cleared! Attached is section 2, 'The Log Driver...', runtime 30:51

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_2_various_128kb.mp3

Nice helpful feedback, above. BTw. So many challenges standing in the way of a satisfying recording: your voice, your brain (esp. deficiencies thereof), your stamina, the software, the environment, etc. etc. etc. So it's good the get help from experienced hands. Just today I inadvertently changed the mic to the 'built in' one and it took me a while to figure out why I sounded like I was across the street! Always something.

Let me know if I forgot anything.

Thanks, Brize
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:45 amHere's the new one. I re-recorded a lot of it, trying to get rid of the peaks so maybe it's better now.The repeats and the audio jumps should be gone now too.
thank you, Faithann, and I agree, your voice is much more level now throughout and it's more agreeable to listen now without the extreme fluctuations in volume. Excellently edited :clap:

Though I would like to ask you for future sections, to consider never to edit any parts except those that have been pointed out by the DPL in their PL notes. While I agree that here you enhanced the quality, please consider the added work this has given me. Because I need to check every part that has been corrected, as there still may have been errors in the corrections. In a section of nearly 40 minutes, this is very time-consuming. I had to re-listen from scratch as I didn't know which parts you edited and which you left as they were, and as you can see by my following notes, I did find new errors in your edited parts, so the re-listen was needed or I would have missed those new errors.

So best only to stick to the PL notes, but if ever again you decide to correct any errors not mentioned in the PL notes, please, as a courtesy to the DPL, write up the exact time stamps of all the parts that you corrected or edited (like I did with my PL notes, so you could find the places back very quickly instead of having to rummage through the entire file to find your errors). If I had had those time stamps, I could have done a spot PL which would have taken me a few minutes instead of the over 40 minutes it took me now. :? I hope you understand that it's essential to have the time stamps to lessen the work of any of your future DPLers ;)

Well, it's done now, the sound is much better and it's the outcome that counts, so let's not dwell over it too much anymore. :thumbs:

However, I did find a few more spots with repeats or errors, so could you please edit those parts still and reupload ? I guess they have been among your re-recorded sentences because these errors were not present in the previous file.

> at 2:14: (p. 267) stumble "at a boarding school of the highest fashion" – there is a jump in the last 4 words which makes it incomprehensible, I would suggest re-recording that part

> from 10:10 to 10:14: (p. 268) between "holy strain" and "it was a noble thing" – pause should be shortened to well under 2 seconds

> at 10:36: (p. 268) repeat can be cut once: "it was his to wile the wanderer back to virtue"

> at 13:35: (p. 268) "the sabbath was now my day of rest" – the first words are missing

> at 33:12: (p. 271) repeat can be cut once: "my supposed misfortunes"

Thank you

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

"Manes" was actually my first guess, but didn't make much sense (outside of some sort of hair fetish)
:lol: it would have fitted if it had been a sort of hippie-story :mrgreen:
Logjam cleared! Attached is section 2, 'The Log Driver...', runtime 30:51
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_2_various_128kb.mp3
a wonderful recording, thank you so much for taking part in this magazine :9: Your sound is really good, so I guess you had the correct microphone plugged in for this section ;) and the narration is very agreeable to listen to. I enjoyed it very much, though the tragedy of the story got to me as soon as poor Norman drowned, because then I knew the outcome of the story for the bride-to-(never)-be as well. :(

Totally PL ok !
Just today I inadvertently changed the mic to the 'built in' one and it took me a while to figure out why I sounded like I was across the street!

:shock: I hope you did not record a huge section before you noticed the sound change ! It happened to me once and I nearly screamed when I realized I had to re-record the entire story again. If you use Audacity, it's crucial to plug the microphone in BEFORE you open Audacity, only then will it recognize the microphone, else it will use the built-in unless you manually change it to your good one.

Yes, we learn new things every day. 8-)

Thanks again, and maybe I'll hear you in another Rover issue along the road one day.

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Kitty wrote: July 8th, 2021, 1:36 am
Faithann wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:45 amHere's the new one. I re-recorded a lot of it, trying to get rid of the peaks so maybe it's better now.The repeats and the audio jumps should be gone now too.
thank you, Faithann, and I agree, your voice is much more level now throughout and it's more agreeable to listen now without the extreme fluctuations in volume. Excellently edited :clap:

Though I would like to ask you for future sections, to consider never to edit any parts except those that have been pointed out by the DPL in their PL notes. While I agree that here you enhanced the quality, please consider the added work this has given me. Because I need to check every part that has been corrected, as there still may have been errors in the corrections. In a section of nearly 40 minutes, this is very time-consuming. I had to re-listen from scratch as I didn't know which parts you edited and which you left as they were, and as you can see by my following notes, I did find new errors in your edited parts, so the re-listen was needed or I would have missed those new errors.

So best only to stick to the PL notes, but if ever again you decide to correct any errors not mentioned in the PL notes, please, as a courtesy to the DPL, write up the exact time stamps of all the parts that you corrected or edited (like I did with my PL notes, so you could find the places back very quickly instead of having to rummage through the entire file to find your errors). If I had had those time stamps, I could have done a spot PL which would have taken me a few minutes instead of the over 40 minutes it took me now. :? I hope you understand that it's essential to have the time stamps to lessen the work of any of your future DPLers ;)

Well, it's done now, the sound is much better and it's the outcome that counts, so let's not dwell over it too much anymore. :thumbs:

However, I did find a few more spots with repeats or errors, so could you please edit those parts still and reupload ? I guess they have been among your re-recorded sentences because these errors were not present in the previous file.

> at 2:14: (p. 267) stumble "at a boarding school of the highest fashion" – there is a jump in the last 4 words which makes it incomprehensible, I would suggest re-recording that part

> from 10:10 to 10:14: (p. 268) between "holy strain" and "it was a noble thing" – pause should be shortened to well under 2 seconds

> at 10:36: (p. 268) repeat can be cut once: "it was his to wile the wanderer back to virtue"

> at 13:35: (p. 268) "the sabbath was now my day of rest" – the first words are missing

> at 33:12: (p. 271) repeat can be cut once: "my supposed misfortunes"

Thank you

Sonia
I'm sorry for causing problems. The first recording was a mess- my voice was not in the best shape that day and I should have waited. I won't do it again. I updated my recording software and hopefully that will help with the jumps that keep happening. Here is the fixed recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_7_various_128kb.mp3
Time:36.10
Thanks again.
Faithann
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm sorry for causing problems. The first recording was a mess- my voice was not in the best shape that day and I should have waited. I won't do it again. I updated my recording software and hopefully that will help with the jumps that keep happening. Here is the fixed recording
don't worry too much about it, you probably didn't realize the added work involved for me this way, that's why I tried to explain why it's important to put time stamps.

It's ok now and your corrections are all perfectly PL ok. :thumbs: The heiress can be put to rest. 8-)

Thank you, and I saw that I will hear you in the next Rover as well :9: You are aware that you chose another long story ? ;) I always admire people who do not shy away from longer sections.

Have a nice day still

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Kitty wrote: July 8th, 2021, 5:49 am
I'm sorry for causing problems. The first recording was a mess- my voice was not in the best shape that day and I should have waited. I won't do it again. I updated my recording software and hopefully that will help with the jumps that keep happening. Here is the fixed recording
don't worry too much about it, you probably didn't realize the added work involved for me this way, that's why I tried to explain why it's important to put time stamps.

It's ok now and your corrections are all perfectly PL ok. :thumbs: The heiress can be put to rest. 8-)

Thank you, and I saw that I will hear you in the next Rover as well :9: You are aware that you chose another long story ? ;) I always admire people who do not shy away from longer sections.

Have a nice day still

Sonia
I redid so much of this one, I don't know if time stamps would have helped much! My next section is a little shorter than this one ( but still a longer one!), but hopefully I know better what I'm doing with a longer section now, so I will take more care to get a good recording this time.
Thanks again.
Faithann
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Faithann wrote: July 8th, 2021, 7:42 amI redid so much of this one, I don't know if time stamps would have helped much!
yes, unless you re-recorded it all from scratch (which we never recommend, for obvious reasons of workload), it's always more helpful to have the time-stamps, because there will be less to check than the whole of it.

Anyway, usually it shouldn't be needed, because you only need to correct the time-stamps that are mentioned in the PL notes ;)

Sonia
Faithann

Post by Faithann »

Kitty wrote: July 9th, 2021, 12:55 am
Faithann wrote: July 8th, 2021, 7:42 amI redid so much of this one, I don't know if time stamps would have helped much!
yes, unless you re-recorded it all from scratch (which we never recommend, for obvious reasons of workload), it's always more helpful to have the time-stamps, because there will be less to check than the whole of it.

Anyway, usually it shouldn't be needed, because you only need to correct the time-stamps that are mentioned in the PL notes ;)

Sonia

Ok. I'm going to stick with PL notes from now on and make things easier for the PL and for me :). Thanks again and so sorry for causing problems!
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Kitty,
I am so sorry to be so late with this. The vaccine caused some minor voice problems which I am sure you can hear, but I was running out of time to the deadline.
Chapter 4 Two stories from the civil war.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0117_4_various_128kb.mp3
Let me know what you want redone.
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:37 pmI am so sorry to be so late with this. The vaccine caused some minor voice problems which I am sure you can hear, but I was running out of time to the deadline.
thank you, Jay and you still had plenty of time until the deadline (2 months - till 6th September !) but I am extra happy that you gave it a priority, if all is well then we can catalogue today :9:

Will PL this afternoon, so stay tuned in case there are edits. Oh and so I can update the Magic Window, it's always helpful when the readers post the length of the section.

See you soon

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:37 pmChapter 4 Two stories from the civil war.
I was expecting the American Civil War and was surprised when I realized it was set in England :lol: A wonderful story, with a good ending, though it didn't look good after the mother pleaded with Cromwell. :shock:

Absolutely beautifully narrated, Jay, it was a treat to listen to you. :9:

I only have a few small edits to request:

> from 0:40 to 0:44: between "GPR James" and "it was late" - nearly 4 seconds of silence are too long for a listener, I would cut it down to under 2 seconds definitely

> at 21:15: (p. 263) missed line (underlined part): under the pressure of misfortune and distress. Amongst the various chances"

> from 30:59 to 31:02: also here between "Henry is pardoned" and "End of section 4", the silence could be under 2 seconds

thank you, nearly ready for cataloguing 8-)

Sonia
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Sonia,
Here is the corrected file.
Time is 31:11
I was surprised also when I discovered it was not the American Civil War. But I had already committed. I have no British accent which would have made it better. Oh well.....
It was a good story, but very difficult to read with the blurry print. I had to stop a lot of times to figure out if "that letter" was an i with a smeary dot or an l or a t. Fun times!! A chapter and a game all in one.
Thank you for giving me the chance to read it and thanks for your kind words.

Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote: July 28th, 2021, 2:15 pmI have no British accent which would have made it better. Oh well.....
I did not mind the accent at all. Hey, it's good that we are not strict on accents, otherwise I, as non-native speaker of English, would not be allowed to read anything on here :lol:
It was a good story, but very difficult to read with the blurry print. I had to stop a lot of times to figure out if "that letter" was an i with a smeary dot or an l or a t. Fun times!! A chapter and a game all in one.
:? I'm glad you saw it as entertaining. I fear the bad script is deterring many readers who otherwise might have enjoyed the stories. Yes, it's definitely a challenge. :lol:

well thank you for sticking with it.

And the section is now PL ok. Wow, seamless edits. :thumbs:

And that means we are at the end of the project. Another huge round of applause :clap: and my heartfelt thanks to the 6 readers for this issue of the Rover: Greg, Brize, Alan, Jay, Faithann (who made sure that this didn't turn out an all-male recording :lol: ) and Jim !!! I enjoyed each and every story/poem.

Will catalogue now and post the link once it's through. Stay tuned.

Hope to hear you all in one of the next Rovers.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And this one is in the catalogue. Moving to Completed Projects.

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/rover-01-17-by-various/

Sonia