COMPLETE SOLO Greek Athletics by FA Wright - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Greek Athletics, by Frederick Adam Wright (1869 - 1946)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/greek-athletics-by-frederick-adam-wright/
The history of Greek athletics as it pertains to the Olympics. Describes various activities such as boxing, wrestling, etc. and accounts from witnesses, the Iliad, etc. as they pertain to famous Greeks and events. He discusses Greek views of physical appearance and fitness as they pertain to the games and society and also how and why individual city-states chose to participate (or not) in the Olympics. (Summary by Heather Eney)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/65554/65554-h/65554-h.htm

Target completion date: 2021-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Greek Athletics. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Greek Athletics, by Frederick Adam Wright. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Greek Athletics, by Frederick Adam Wright. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Greek Athletics, by Frederick Adam Wright."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: greekathletics_##_wright_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. greekathletics_01_wright_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Hi there :)

I would like lmnei (Lynda) to be the DPL on this project.

Thanks!!
Heather
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

DPL checking in! Really excited to listen to this book!

Lynda
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Lmnei wrote: June 10th, 2021, 1:02 pm DPL checking in! Really excited to listen to this book!

Lynda
:clap:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Heather,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.
Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Mary Ann -

I have been chatting with Heather as she decided on the book to solo and she already read for me in another group book project that I am BC'ing and DPL'ing that I adopted.

I will help her get started to minimize the impact on your time.

Lynda
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great. Thanks Lynda.
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Preface/Section 0
4:48
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/greekathletics_00_wright_128kb.mp3

Section 1
25:39
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/greekathletics_01_wright_128kb.mp3

I was having trouble accessing the MW, but I got it worked out :D
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Heather -

What is the trouble with the MW? LV has been grumpy a couple of times over the last few days and it was down for about 10 hours earlier this week.

I have PL'd Sections 0 - 3 and I have the following feedback -

Section 0 -

This is totally up to you - normally we do not say Section zero - we just says Preface. Both the Intro and Extro if you want to change it might sound better if you say "Preface of Greek Athletics... then the Extro at 4:42 would be End of Preface.

Section 1 - PL OK :)

Section 2 -

You did an EXCELLENT job splitting these up with no help! Just a quick note which is my fault as I probably did not catch it in your PM to me - you either use Section or Chapter Part X. You do not say Section Part X as Section numbers are unique.

0:14 - as you said Section Number 2 at the beginning you should say Chapter 2 - Part 1 here instead for the title.
7:32 – please read attribution at the end of the section from the book - Homer: Iliad, XXIII (23rd), pages 820-851,
Derby’s translation.
14:25 – please read the attribution at the end of the para Theocritus: Idyll, XXII (22nd), pages 87-111.
25:01 - please change this to Section 2 - no parts needed to be mentioned.

Section 3 -

Only feedback is the same intro/extro as above - no other edits!

00:14:5 - as you said Section Number 3 at the beginning you should say Chapter 2 - Part 2 here instead for the title.
29:03 - should say End of Section 3 (not 2 part 2)

I hope that makes sense! You did all the other parts of separating the 2 recordings perfectly!

Your recordings are a pleasure to listen to and they bring back memories of my visit to Olympia in Greece where I saw where the flame is, the ancient field where the races were run and all the "gymnastic" areas 2 years ago!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi again!

So when you have updated and uploaded your recordings, please go into the MW and set them to Ready for Spot PL.

That lets me know on my Reader Page that I need to go listen to them :)

Thanks!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Heather -

Section 0 and 3 are PL OK and there is one edit still to be done for Section 2

Section 2 -

14:25 (now at 14:33) – please read the attribution at the end of the para Theocritus: Idyll, XXII (22nd), pages 87-111.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:56 pm Hi Heather -

Section 2 -

14:25 (now at 14:33) – please read the attribution at the end of the para Theocritus: Idyll, XXII (22nd), pages 87-111.

Lynda
Hi Heather - did you set Section 2 back to Spot PL? Did you also upload the file? I cannot find the attribution recorded after the word boxing at the end of the paragraph which is now at 14:33 after your other edits. Can you please let me know where you put it? For Spot PL's we just listen to the part that was to be corrected - not the whole recording again.

Many thanks!

Lynda
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Lmnei wrote: July 9th, 2021, 1:57 pm
Lmnei wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:56 pm Hi Heather -

Section 2 -

Lynda
Hi Heather - did you set Section 2 back to Spot PL? Did you also upload the file? I cannot find the attribution recorded after the word boxing at the end of the paragraph which is now at 14:33 after your other edits. Can you please let me know where you put it? For Spot PL's we just listen to the part that was to be corrected - not the whole recording again.

Many thanks!

Lynda
I made the changes so I'll check the recording tomorrow. I have other corrections to make as well for the later ones also, so I'll re-upload! Thanks!

Heather
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Perfect!

Just let me know when you have re-uploaded the ones set to Ready for PL as I have already downloaded them to listen to them. I will not listen to those files then and wait for the updated ones.

Please do not change or upload anything set to PL OK.

Lynda