COMPLETE: The Lady in Blue by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colborn -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The Lady in Blue, by Auguste Groner (1850 - 1929), translated by Grace Isabel Colbron (1869 - 1948)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-lady-in-blue-by-auguste-groner/

A Joseph Muller Mystery originally published in 1905 in German as The Blue Lady. Translated by American writer and translator, Grace Isabel Colbron in 1922 as The Lady in Blue. A mysterious old house, an unexplained scream in the night, the death of a beautiful young girl. Was it suicide? Or something more sinister at work? (Summary by knotyouraveragejo)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://hdl.handle.net/2027/osu.32435058050006

Target completion date: 2021-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fiction, Mystery, Joe Muller, fictional Austrian police detective

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of The Lady in Blue. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Lady in Blue, by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colbron. Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter) # of The Lady in Blue, by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colbron. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Lady in Blue, by Auguste Groner, translated by Grace Isabel Colbron."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ladyinblue_##_groner_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ladyinblue_01_groner_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

haven't had a good thriller in some time, so if you'd like to have me, I'd gladly DPL for this project, Jo :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ok I had a go at the first chapter just to find out about the style of the book and so far I like it. I didn't know this author before but maybe it's a cool idea to read something in the original once. I see we have a few books in English already.

Ok the first chapter is perfectly narrated, it's a treat to listen to you. Already looking forward to the rest...I hope Tony doesn't die. :?

I have one suggestion to correct for the intro however:

> at 00:06 and at 0:23: "by Augusta Groner and Grace Isabel Colbron: wouldn't it be more accurate to say "translated by Colbron" ? Otherwise it sounds like the original was a collaboration of two authors. Also if you wish you can cut it out at 0:06, because in the full intro, the name of the author only gets mentioned in the second part

A great start !

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Sonia. Would be very happy to have you as DPL.

Thanks for the notes for Chapter 1

I know that Colburn is technically the translator, and I entered it in the database that way, but the book title page lists it as "by Augusta Groner and Grace Isabel Colbron" which is why I recorded it that way in the intro. I can change it. :)
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 2 is in the MW ready for PL, and Chapter 1 has been edited and uploaded for Spot PL.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:54 pmChapter 2 is in the MW ready for PL, and Chapter 1 has been edited and uploaded for Spot PL.
yay, both chapters are completely PL ok now. I love your speaking in character in the dialogues. :thumbs:

And my suspicion is already aroused against Tony, who may not be as innocent as she wants us to think :lol: She did everything to procure herself an alibi the night before...who is to say that the deceased was still alive when she went down to get that cup of milk ? :hmm: We only have her word for it.

Eager to know how it will unfold. It's a very good story so far.

Thanks

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Glad you are enjoying it! I agree there is probably more to Tony than meets the eye.

Chapter 3 is in the MW.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 10th, 2021, 8:42 amChapter 3 is in the MW.
:shock: whoooo, now this foreboding painting gave me a shudder. It's moved the whole tale into a gothic atmosphere. I'm hooked.

Totally PL ok again, Jo, you're making my job quite easy here. :9:

Thanks, and have a nice weekend

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Kitty wrote: June 10th, 2021, 11:41 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 10th, 2021, 8:42 amChapter 3 is in the MW.
:shock: whoooo, now this foreboding painting gave me a shudder. It's moved the whole tale into a gothic atmosphere. I'm hooked.
Good! Next chapter should be up later today...
Totally PL ok again, Jo, you're making my job quite easy here. :9:
Thanks! That's the goal. :wink:
Thanks, and have a nice weekend
You too!
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

And the plot thickens... :wink: Chapter 4 is ready for PL.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 5 is also ready for PL. :)
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tony is definitely making herself very suspect. :lol: So much so that I'm sure she was not the killer, or else the plot would have been a bit too obvious.

Both chapters are PL ok. Still going good and totally interesting.

Thank you Jo :)

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks, Sonia. :) Chapter 6 is in the MW.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah the detective shows up. He's like an Austrian Sherlock Holmes :shock: This chapter is also PL ok. :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Chapter 7 ready for PL. Yes he is a bit like Holmes, but you will hear more about his methods in this chapter. :)
Jo