[COMPLETE] Nostromo (Version 2) - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 8:55 am Wonderful! Now I’ve two sections for tomorrow’s walk and I’ll listen carefully to the description of Captain Mitchell’s half-chronometer. I must admit the dictionary definition hasn’t helped much :roll:
Alas, I'm afraid I may have misled you, Susanne! What I think is so well done is not Conrad's description of the half-chronometer as such, but rather the way Conrad tells us so much about Captain Mitchell's character by highlighting how much this (admittedly quite valuable) pocketwatch means to the old sailor — and then, of course, implicitly contrasting what matters intensely to Captain Mitchell (a watch) with what matters to Nostromo (his reputation), to Decoud (Antonia), to Georgio Viola (his concept of national liberty), to Charles Gould (um... possibly a matter of conjecture) and so on. In some ways the novel strikes me as being like a large a large classical painting that contains studies of many interesting-looking individuals gathered in one place (Sulaco), each of whose 'essence' Conrad has been at pains to capture meaningfully and strikingly and who appear have been included in the composition precisely because they do represent a wide range of possible human types, each one contrasting with another. Some effect like this is present in many novels that have a large cast of characters, but for some reason i think it's particularly strong here.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings! I have uploaded section 25: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/nostromo_25_conrad_128kb.mp3 (38:52)
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

No harm done! I spent the entire hiking day listening to Handel’s The Messiah. It’s the first time that I’ve listened to the entire master piece and it was wonderful!
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Actually, I had listened to several live performances in the past but what made today so special was that the recording was on a loop and lasted 22 kilometers :D
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: June 29th, 2021, 11:59 am Actually, I had listened to several live performances in the past but what made today so special was that the recording was on a loop and lasted 22 kilometers :D
That sounds glorious, with Handel to accompany you. My wife and I did some hiking a few years back that comprised stages about that length, so I do have some idea of what's involved from a walking point of view. As for The Messiah, it just so happens one of our sons is now a classical trumpet player by profession, and virtually every year since his college days he has played in at least one performance of The Messiah in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and sometimes several, many of which we have been privileged to listen to over the years. There are only a few passages in the whole oratorio where the trumpet even plays, but when it does, interweaving with the bass in "The Trumpets Shall Sound", it's pretty splendid. The whole composition is a marvel, and I'm not surprised it continues to be so popular, certainly in English-speaking Australia, and also in New Zealand, where our trumpet-playing son now lives.

I've just uploaded section 26: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/nostromo_26_conrad_128kb.mp3 (20:01). As it happens, I'm finding these post-silver-getaway chapters a lot more interesting to read than I was expecting. I had thought they might prove a bit of an anticlimax. I guess different people may have different views on whether they are.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

I've also enjoy these last few sections and I marvel at the determination by Charles Gould to save the mine from falling into the hands of the rebels.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 28: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/nostromo_28_conrad_128kb.mp3 (20:13)

Then after this, next three chapters will be the longest individual reads in our audiobook. Deep breath, Pete!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL of Section 28 is okay.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: July 4th, 2021, 10:34 am PL of Section 28 is okay.
Thanks Susanne.
I have just uploaded section 30: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/nostromo_29_conrad_128kb.mp3 (61:17)
I'll probably record another section tomorrow of similar length (quite long), but then won't be able to record again until Sunday at the earliest. Will probably have all sections recorded by about July 14 (ha! - Bastille Day!) or thereabouts.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

I traveled back from Spain and had such a good time in Galicia! I'll have time to review sections 29 and 30 tomorrow. I admire your stamina in recording such long sessions! How long did it take you in actual time?
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 5:22 am I traveled back from Spain and had such a good time in Galicia! I'll have time to review sections 29 and 30 tomorrow. I admire your stamina in recording such long sessions! How long did it take you in actual time?
It's wonderful that you've been able to travel at all after the year and a half we've all been having of COVID. So glad it worked out well.

I've just uploaded section 31: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/nostromo_31_conrad_128kb.mp3 (56:10). Hadn't previously taken any particular notice of that question 'how long did it take?', but for today's recording I took more careful note. What ended up being 56:10 of audio started out as a 70 minute file when I'd finished recording - so that's around 14 minutes' worth of my making mistakes and re-reading, plus several pauses while I waited for a helicopter to fly overhead or a dog to stop barking. It then took me 60 minutes to edit the file and make a few small adjustments to levels where they were peaking a bit high. Add in ten minutes, say, for uploading, adding to the Magic Window and writing this. So, 2:20 to get 56 minutes of audio ready for proof listening.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

I'm grateful for my time in Spain and hope the summer (in the northern hemisphere) will pass quietly without triggering another wave.

Thanks for timing yourself and interesting to see what time commitment these recordings actually are. :clap:

PL of sections 29 and 30 is okay and I've marked the MW :D
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL of Section 31 is okay.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

And we're on the home stretch now...
Have just uploaded section 32: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/nostromo_32_conrad_128kb.mp3 (35:49)