[COMPLETE][SOLO] Tales of Daring and Danger by G A Henty - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Tales of Daring and Danger, by G. A. Henty (1832 - 1902)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/tales-of-daring-and-danger-by-g-a-henty/
G A Henty takes us on a variety of adventures in this collection:
A daring rescue on rough seas, a military action against Chinese pirates, hunting down a tiger in India, and even a calamity in a camp of gold miners in California!
With each new encounter, you'll thrill at the daring of our heroes in the face of imminent danger.
(Summary by Keith Salis )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7870

Target completion date: 2021-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Tales of Daring and Danger. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Tales of Daring and Danger, by G. A. Henty. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Tales of Daring and Danger, by G. A. Henty. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Tales of Daring and Danger, by G. A. Henty."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: daringanddanger_#_henty_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. daringanddanger_1_henty_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Keratak on June 20th, 2021, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Keith, sounds like an adventurous endeavour, I'll MC this. Will get you a MW in a moment, stay tuned !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, MW is ready to be filled out. I put a tilde (~) in the title so people know we need a DPL still. Let's wait a few days here if we can attract one.

And please don't forget to write a summary before the project is over ;) I guess you want to read the book first before you do that.

Have fun !

Sonia
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

You know me already! Thanks, Sonia.
I look forward to working with you. We will still need a PL, eventually, right?
Keith
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Keratak wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 4:30 amYou know me already!
well I don't think we've met in a project before, but that doesn't mean I didn't see your name around the forum :)
We will still need a PL, eventually, right?
yes every project needs a PLer, you can advertise in the Listeners wanted forum if you wish. I think this kind of project will find a DPL easily. But if all else fails, I will help out, don't worry.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Keith, my name is Jim Locke, and I would like to be your DPL for this project. So I will be given access to the MW, which is where you will place your submissions. I will listen to your entries and give you a PL OK, or if you have spots that need to be fixed, I will indicate that and then send a post identifying the mistakes. You will fix them and re-submit and then I will check that all is well and change the Spot Check to the PL OK. Forgive me if you already know all of this. Looking forward to some adventures. I did note that the last story is lengthy, but am not sure if it will be a problem. Checker prefers recordings not to be longer than 60 minutes, but LV accepts up to 74 minutes. And you do have the option to divide (Part 1, Part 2, as separate entries, that sort of thing). Jim :)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thanks Jim,
I've done a number of solos so far, so yes this is familiar to me.
Usually, I try not to get hung up on word-for-word, but try to keep the meaning the same, and a pray the author doesn't use the word, "Peculiarly."
I look forward to working with you.
Keith
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sounds good. Yes, I agree that word is a most odd sounding tongue-twister. :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Keratak wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:09 amUsually, I try not to get hung up on word-for-word, but try to keep the meaning the same
while of course you can choose not to be as picky as to have it word-perfect, there is a thin line to consider though. The meaning has to be the same but it should be similar enough and not simply paraphrasing.

I can give you an extreme example, when once I PLed a fairy tale project, where one reader used a different source to read and while the meaning of the tale of course was the same, the text was too different, so in that case, I had to insist that he stick to the original source.

Example:
"Once upon a time in a far-off land, a father lived peacefully with his three sons."
He would read:
"A long time ago, far far away, a father and his three sons lived together peacefully."

You see, while the meaning is exactly the same, the source was a newly edited text and not public domain. So there we need to be careful not to deviate too much.

and thank you, Jim, for helping out in this project :9: You should have MW access now. And I will move us to Going Solo now...

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks. Jim :)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Kitty wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 11:24 pm
Keratak wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:09 amUsually, I try not to get hung up on word-for-word, but try to keep the meaning the same
while of course you can choose not to be as picky as to have it word-perfect, there is a thin line to consider though. The meaning has to be the same but it should be similar enough and not simply paraphrasing.

I can give you an extreme example, when once I PLed a fairy tale project, where one reader used a different source to read and while the meaning of the tale of course was the same, the text was too different, so in that case, I had to insist that he stick to the original source.

Example:
"Once upon a time in a far-off land, a father lived peacefully with his three sons."
He would read:
"A long time ago, far far away, a father and his three sons lived together peacefully."

You see, while the meaning is exactly the same, the source was a newly edited text and not public domain. So there we need to be careful not to deviate too much.

and thank you, Jim, for helping out in this project :9: You should have MW access now. And I will move us to Going Solo now...

Sonia
I was thinking more along the lines of 'could' instead of 'would,' 'this' instead of 'the,' and sometimes I'll switch in a strange verb that replaces another strange verb that these writers from a long time ago use. Sometimes you just miss a word, or switch a phrase around because you're in the moment of the scene, and often trying to re-record the line would be more distracting.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Keratak wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:44 pmI was thinking more along the lines of 'could' instead of 'would,' 'this' instead of 'the,'
yes, I figured you only meant such small errors, and yes, they can usually be safely ignored unless they really change the meaning, which they rarely do. Jim will let you know if anything strikes him as odd and you can decide whether to edit or leave it be then.
sometimes I'll switch in a strange verb that replaces another strange verb that these writers from a long time ago use.
this however is treading the thin line....we are recording old texts and as such the language often will be more unusual to modern ears. We still have our rule to "read what the author wrote" and editing in our own modernized version is not really allowed. Same goes for racist or sexist words that we don't say nowadays...we have to record them as written because modernizing them to sound more politically correct is changing the text too much.
Sometimes you just miss a word, or switch a phrase around because you're in the moment of the scene, and often trying to re-record the line would be more distracting.
yes "missing a word" or saying "he said" instead of "said he" because it flows better is totally acceptable, as it goes under the heading of "honest mistake". It's a difference between making an honest mistake like "could" and "would" or actually actively editing in new verbs that sound better. I would not recommend that.

Another extreme example is Shakespeare...he uses such strange verbs sometimes that don't even exist anymore nowadays, but we still read him as written in our PD source. A modernized version would become a totally different text. (that said, I'm sure the author you are reading now will not give you so much trouble with strange words).

As I said, just do your best to stick to the original text, Jim will PL and assess whether small errors can be accepted (usually they can) and anything major he will flag and then we'll see whether it needs editing or not.

Sonia
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Section 1 is ready for PL.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I see. And I will be listening very soon. Thanks. Jim :)
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

If you're interested, Section 2 is now also up, so you can get the whole story.