COMPLETE: In the Land of Cave and Cliff Dwellers - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

In the Land of Cave and Cliff Dwellers, by Frederick Schwatka (1849 - 1892)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/in-the-land-of-cave-and-cliff-dwellers-by-frederick-schwatka/

An adventurer and explorer of no mean repute, Lieutenant Frederick Schwatka leads an expedition by mule train into the forbidding Sierra Madre mountains of Mexico to one of the richest silver mining regions in the world. He offers lively (and occasionally disparaging) descriptions of the the unfamiliar flora and fauna of this often desolate region, of the cliff and cave dwellings inhabited and abandoned, and of the social customs of the various peoples he meets. He marvels at the unmatched running prowess of the Rarámuri (Tarahumari) Indians of the Barranca del Cobre--the famous Copper Canyon of Chihuahua State. He writes always with humor that keeps the narrative light and the reader smiling. (Summary by Steven Seitel)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51532

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography; *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: Tarahumare indians, Chihuahua Mexico, cave dwellings, cliff dwellings, Copper Canyon, silver mining, mule trains

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of In the Land of Cave and Cliff Dwellers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "In the Land of Cave and Cliff Dwellers, by Frederick Schwatka. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of In the Land of Cave and Cliff Dwellers, by Frederick Schwatka. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of In the Land of Cave and Cliff Dwellers, by Frederick Schwatka."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: caveandcliffdwellers_##_schwatka_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. caveandcliffdwellers_01_schwatka_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Steven Seitel on June 18th, 2021, 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Here goes! Should be fun. I'm taken with the author's good humored descriptions and willingness to avoid being sidetracked:

"Each and every member of the expedition will be heard from when anything has been done by them, and not before. When the mule Dulce kicks a hectare of daylight through the cook for spilling hot grease on his heels, I will give a description of Dulce and an obituary notice of the cook; but until then, they will remain out of the account." :lol:

How could I resist? Add in the mysteries of the forbidding Sierra Madre, the spectacular declivity of Barranca del Cobre, stubborn Mexican mules that deliberately stumble on the most dangerous parts of the trail, and native runners who can traverse hundreds of miles (one way) on foot, rest a day, and return all in the same week, and you have a story greatly to be enjoyed.

Come join the fun! :D

Steve
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Sounds interesting. Do you need a DPL? If so, I'm willing to do it.

Thanks,

M
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can MC again, Steve. MW will be along in a bit.
Jo
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Terrific, Jo...thank you once again. :D

Hi, mleigh. Yes, we do need a DPL, and so Welcome Aboard! We haven't teamed together before, so what name should I address you by? :D

It sounds like we have a team in place. Good deal.

Steve
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Here's a down payment to get us started. :)

Chapter 01, Preparing for the Expedition
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_01_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (22:01)

Steve
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Steven Seitel wrote: May 21st, 2021, 6:12 pm Terrific, Jo...thank you once again. :D

Hi, mleigh. Yes, we do need a DPL, and so Welcome Aboard! We haven't teamed together before, so what name should I address you by? :D

It sounds like we have a team in place. Good deal.

Steve
Thanks - I'm looking forward to the tale. I enjoy travel adventures. (I'm about halfway through recording an account of Shackleton's last voyage. I hope to finish by September for the 100th anniversary of the sailing.)

If you want to call me M, that is fine - it reminds me of my favorite aunt, Emma, or mleigh is fine too. It really doesn't matter.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Steven Seitel wrote: May 21st, 2021, 7:38 pm Here's a down payment to get us started. :)

Chapter 01, Preparing for the Expedition
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_01_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (22:01)

Steve
Well, you've started off right. Chapter 1 is PL OK. Can't wait to hear about the mules.

M
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Great, thank you M.

Here's the next one:

Chapter 02, Mexican Mormon Colonies
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_02_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (37:14)

Steve
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Steven Seitel wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 1:50 pm Great, thank you M.

Here's the next one:

Chapter 02, Mexican Mormon Colonies
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_02_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (37:14)

Steve
Another good chapter. PL OK.

I enjoy those little chuckles every so often. They make me think I am listening to an elderly man talking about his travels to a group of younger people, who all of a sudden is reminded of some private story and he emits a short quiet chuckle. It makes it feel personal. And, you have just the right amount - not putting it in too often, too loudly, or too long. :)

Thanks,

M
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

mleigh wrote: May 24th, 2021, 6:01 pm They make me think I am listening to an elderly man talking about his travels to a group of younger people, who all of a sudden is reminded of some private story and he emits a short quiet chuckle.
You're not far wrong on that characterization. Schwatka's deadpan sense of humor really tickles me sometimes.

This next one has some chuckle-worthy moments; but I've tried to weed out all the giggles. :lol:

Chapter 03, Along the Sonora Railway
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_03_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (36:09)

Steve
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Steven Seitel wrote: June 1st, 2021, 8:46 am
mleigh wrote: May 24th, 2021, 6:01 pm They make me think I am listening to an elderly man talking about his travels to a group of younger people, who all of a sudden is reminded of some private story and he emits a short quiet chuckle.
You're not far wrong on that characterization. Schwatka's deadpan sense of humor really tickles me sometimes.

This next one has some chuckle-worthy moments; but I've tried to weed out all the giggles. :lol:

Chapter 03, Along the Sonora Railway
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_03_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (36:09)

Steve
I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were old - it was just those chuckles that made me feel like I was listening to that kind of story.

Those jumping cholla can sure be wicked. We don't have any here, thankfully, but my family has had enough run-ins with them to last a lifetime. :)

Chapter 3 was another interesting recording and is PL OK. :thumbs:

Thanks,

M
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Thank you, M. :D

We finally meet the Mexican mules:

Chapter 04, To the Great Mexican Mining Belt
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_04_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (33:04)

Steve
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Chapter 05, In the Land of Living Cave and Cliff Dwellers
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_05_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (27:49)

An interesting amateur theory that the Tarahumari people were ancient Puebloans driven south by invading athabascans... :roll:

FWIW, I've been to Copper Canyon and interacted with the "civilized" Tarahumari. Very pleasant people.

Steve
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Steven Seitel wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 11:58 am Thank you, M. :D

We finally meet the Mexican mules:

Chapter 04, To the Great Mexican Mining Belt
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/caveandcliffdwellers_04_schwatka_128kb.mp3 (33:04)

Steve
I feel kind of sorry for those poor mules.

I have a few comments regarding this recording.
10:01 slight plosive in "nature"
10:09 loud plosive thump in the word "which"
16:24 loud noise in the silence which should be removed.

I would recommend strongly that at least the latter two be corrected as they are distracting. The first is relatively minor but I wanted to make you aware of it.

It was, on the whole, another enjoyable read. I love some of the descriptions - but those poor mules.

Thanks,

M