[COMPLETE] Billy Mink, by Thornton W. Burgess-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
loon

Post by loon »

Now for what I heard while proof listening.

1) The opening silence is a bit too long. We try to go for somewhere between 1/2 second and one full second - the silence before you start talking is about 1.25 seconds. If you remove about 1/2 second from the very beginning of the recording you will fix this.

2) The overall volume is outside of the LibriVox range. The OK range is 86-92 dB but your chapter is at 85.1 dB (as reported by the Checker program). You can fix this in one of two ways -
2a) The easy way would be to amplify the whole chapter by 1 dB. This should bring the overall level to about 86.1 dB (just inside the LibriVox allowable range). You can't simply amplify the chapter by much more than this without creating clipping in the loudest syllables - and clipping sounds bad.
2b) The slightly harder way to fix the level is first to give the chapter a bit of audio compression. There are online guides to using compression all over including https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Dynamic_Range_Compression (text) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c (video). The key here is to use only a little bit of compression, followed by enough amplification to get your chapter in the 86-92 dB range.

3) The good news is all your words and edits are just fine!

4) When you've fixed the beginning timing and overall volume upload the chapter to billymink_14_burgess_128kb.mp3 and I'll spot check the results. It's a good idea to also include the length for a chapter when you upload it - in this case that will be about 3:31.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I have restored the original chapter 1 to the MW, so that section 1 now points to the correct recording. I have not yet fixed the file name. It can wait. :)
loon

Post by loon »

Devorah - the new chapter needs fixes anyway, so when it arrives it should come in with the proper file name.

It's so good to have admins stopping by to do magical things below the waterline!
ballethorse

Post by ballethorse »

~NATALIA~
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ballethorse wrote: June 19th, 2021, 4:09 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/billymink_14_burgess_128kb.mp3
I have edited Chapter 14. :)
Thank you for the revised file and corrected name.
You did forget the file length again, however.

Rich will be by to give you a new report.
Last edited by silverquill on June 23rd, 2021, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
loon

Post by loon »

ballethorse wrote: June 19th, 2021, 4:09 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/billymink_14_burgess_128kb.mp3
I have edited Chapter 14. :)
The silence at the beginning of the chapter is fixed - thank you.

However - the overall volume of the chapter is still too low. Checker reports the chapter is at 84.7 dB (but it should be somewhere in the 86 to 92 dB range). You will still need to get the volume up some - probably with some slight compression followed by amplifying the whole chapter.

Your whole reading is just fine, now it's just a matter of getting the overall level in the right range. This is much like things go for me when I record chapters; I spend quite a bit of recording and editing time getting the correct words in the correct order, then near the end of the process I need to adjust the gain to get in the LibriVox range.
ballethorse

Post by ballethorse »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/billymink_14_burgess_128kb.mp3
I have amplified it all as much as I could without clipping. Then I went back and selected quieter spots and amplified them again. I hope that works.
It is 3:30.
~NATALIA~
loon

Post by loon »

ballethorse wrote: June 20th, 2021, 10:36 am https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/billymink_14_burgess_128kb.mp3
I have amplified it all as much as I could without clipping. Then I went back and selected quieter spots and amplified them again. I hope that works.
It is 3:30.
Yes! It came out very nicely indeed. Chapter 14 - Billy Has Good Hunting - PL OK. Thanks for the fix.

So you know, the overall volume is very close to the middle of the LibriVox range. Do those next 3 chapters like this one and I'll be totally happy.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

We have orphans.

Chapters 8-11 are now OPEN
~ Larry
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

silverquill wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 10:13 pm We have orphans.

I'll claim those sections to help finish the project!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Katgirl576 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:47 am
silverquill wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 10:13 pm We have orphans.

I'll claim those sections to help finish the project!
Sure, why not!
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

Chapter 15 - A Den of Robbers - PL OK.

Notes:

Please be careful to have a t least 1/2 second of silence before the first word in your recording. This chapter was at about .4 second but I'll let it pass.

At around 2:06 there is a double thump in the recording. It's not loud or distracting enough to mark the recording bad, but slightly distracting. Wearing headphones while you record - if your setup allows this - can help you notice when things like this happen, perhaps by bumping the microphone or suchlike. (Actually, I suspect you are using a headphone/boom microphone microphone, am I right?)

There is no need to read the chapter title at the end of the chapter. "End of chapter 15" is enough.