[COMPLETE] Mozart's Youth, by Franz Hoffmann, translated by George P. Upton - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
musicalmorsels

Post by musicalmorsels »

musicalmorsels

Post by musicalmorsels »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, thank you for the fast turn around. :D
Sections 2 & 3 are in the MW Ready for PL.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi there Joanna,

Welcome back to LV. I enjoyed listening to your two submissions. There are a few things in each that we should probably look at.

First, Chapter 2:

At the beginning, Librivox's standard is between .5 and 1 second before you start to speak. Yours is almost 2 seconds.

1:09 and although her little eight-year-old daughter Nannie There is a stumble in the middle after “her”. I played with it a little and I think that just taking out the 'large' stumble and the very small vocalization before it, will cure it just fine.

3:57.25 In alarm she hastened to ascertain the cause of the tumult. We usually don't comment on pronunciations of words. So you can fix this if you want, but it is usually pronounced “as-er-tain' “.
Your call.

7:14 The two children marched exultantly around the room There is a stumble on around. It sounds like you started to say 'across' and then caught and corrected yourself.

10:26.5 he loudly exclaimed There is a 'stumble'/repeated word between he and loudly. Again I played with it for a minute, and by some careful deleting, you can clean this up just fine.

14:03.5 and followed the little fellow into an adjoining room, You said one

16:59 and, overcome by his emotions, exclaimed: at about 17:00.5 there is a stumble and pause between 'his' and 'emotions'. Again, with a couple of deletes and shrinking the space between 'his' and 'emotions', it sounds great.

18:21.5 and raised his heart and soul to the Eternal Father in heaven. You said head

In this piece there is a lot of background noise. Checker (a wonderful tool to help us find out the volume, background noise and other information on our recordings: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker) says on this one the background noise level is over 50. We really like to keep it under 40 and best at a 25-35 range. This helps the recording sound 'clearer' to the listener. To help decrease the background noise you can use the 'noise reduction' tool in Audacity. Here is a short and simple video showing how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwppSFAuGr8 (if you can get past the accents. :lol: )

Also, in this one your volume is 86.8, which is within the acceptable LV range of 86-92 with a goal of 89, but since you will be in it anyway, if you want, you can increase it. One tool that I have found to be extremely valuable, easy and accurate is mp3Gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php) This will automatically correct you volume to near 89dB.

Now on to Chapter 3:

4:50.75 Is it really true that your little Wolfgang is such an extraordinary genius as I hear on all sides?” There is a stumble between 'it' and 'really', like you started to say 'true' and then realized there was am 'it' before 'true'.

9:04.5 and the more difficult passages did not go well at the first trial; You added 'as' between 'go' and 'well'.

10:58.5 as to astonish even his father Stumble on astonish

11:04.75 but on the contrary very exacting. Added 'very' between 'the' and 'contrary'.

11:26.5 sports of children of his age You said at.

15:29.5 this time in an accidental and somewhat amusing manner. Stumbled on accidental.

17:46.5 you are truly a little master musician Stumbled on are.

18:25.25 so little Wolfgang moved the usually flinty heart of the customs official Stumble before usually.

End. Librivox standard is a silence at the end of about 5 seconds. Yours is a little over 6.

And, oh yes, if someone hasn't already mentioned this to you, when you are editing PL suggestions it is better to start with the last one in the recording and work forward as that keeps the 'time stamps' correct. Just a thought.

Just keep up the good work. I know you aren't a true 'newbie', but we all just keep learning and making mistakes and learning more. :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to listening to more of your ambitious list of Chapters. :D

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
musicalmorsels

Post by musicalmorsels »

Hi Wayne,

I definitely appreciate your thoroughness. I did just go back and listen and I think I might end up re-recording Chapter 2. I think my neighbors kids were being rowdy and my windows and walls are unfortunately not sound proof. I'll try to record in the late evenings as opposed to the day time. I use Pro Tools but nonetheless I'll check out background noise reductions in the future.

And thank you for the suggestion to start from the last suggestions and work my way up! I also put markers in my recordings for where they need to be fixed so now I'll have double insurance when I revisit Chapter 3 this evening.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

musicalmorsels wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:07 am I did just go back and listen and I think I might end up re-recording Chapter 2.
Out of respect for the time of our PLs, we ask readers not to re-do recordings from scratch if the issues can be fixed passably through editing, unless the section is very short (say, a sonnet). I don't know whether that's the case here, but please ask for PL's permission before you make that decision. :)

Thanks!
Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

musicalmorsels wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:07 am Hi Wayne,

I definitely appreciate your thoroughness. I did just go back and listen and I think I might end up re-recording Chapter 2. I think my neighbors kids were being rowdy and my windows and walls are unfortunately not sound proof. I'll try to record in the late evenings as opposed to the day time. I use Pro Tools but nonetheless I'll check out background noise reductions in the future.

And thank you for the suggestion to start from the last suggestions and work my way up! I also put markers in my recordings for where they need to be fixed so now I'll have double insurance when I revisit Chapter 3 this evening.
As per Michael's comments, that is usually the process. One of the first recordings I did, which was about 40 minutes long, I had about 20 'corrections', so I just rerecorded it without any comment in the forum, and the PLer made the same kind of comment, and as it turned out, the second recording was not perfect and the PLer had to go in again and then note to me the corrections, then spot-check again. So, try, if you can, to correct the background noise. I am not at all familiar with Pro Tools so I can't give you any help there, but try it and then run it through Checker as see what happens. (Checker works with any mp3 file, no matter the source.)

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
RLohner

Post by RLohner »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Ryan,

WOW! That was outstanding. I love your voice and the inflections you give to the reading, giving it real meaning, and also the slight difference in the voices of different characters.

If there would be one little suggestion, at least from my point of view, that would be to slow down a little. I listened to some of your other recordings, including your 1 minute test, and this seemed to be the fastest of any I listened to. I felt a little tired after listening to it. The amazing thing to me that was with the speed you read it, I didn't hear one mistake or stumble.

Without reservation I give a whole hearted PLOK :thumbs:

Welcome to LV and I am looking forward to listening to more of your talented readings. :D

Wayne
Wayne
musicalmorsels

Post by musicalmorsels »

Kazbek wrote: May 20th, 2021, 1:17 pm
musicalmorsels wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:07 am I did just go back and listen and I think I might end up re-recording Chapter 2.
Out of respect for the time of our PLs, we ask readers not to re-do recordings from scratch if the issues can be fixed passably through editing, unless the section is very short (say, a sonnet). I don't know whether that's the case here, but please ask for PL's permission before you make that decision. :)

Thanks!
Michael
Noted and will do!

Joanna
musicalmorsels

Post by musicalmorsels »

Kalamareader wrote: May 20th, 2021, 2:30 pm
musicalmorsels wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:07 am Hi Wayne,

As per Michael's comments, that is usually the process. One of the first recordings I did, which was about 40 minutes long, I had about 20 'corrections', so I just rerecorded it without any comment in the forum, and the PLer made the same kind of comment, and as it turned out, the second recording was not perfect and the PLer had to go in again and then note to me the corrections, then spot-check again. So, try, if you can, to correct the background noise. I am not at all familiar with Pro Tools so I can't give you any help there, but try it and then run it through Checker as see what happens. (Checker works with any mp3 file, no matter the source.)

Thanks,

Wayne
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll make the corrections and then run it through the checker.
RLohner

Post by RLohner »

Thanks so much! My day job involves book groups for people with developmental disabilities, so I've gotten quite a bit of experience in reading in an engaging way for them.
JHedrick

Post by JHedrick »

Hi Larry,

I can do the appendix if you want. Would that also include the footnotes?
Jim in Ohio

I will be away from the studio from April 21st through April 28th.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
musicalmorsels

Post by musicalmorsels »

Here is the edited version of Chapter 3 (18:40)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/mozartsyouth_03_hoffman_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RLohner wrote: May 20th, 2021, 7:10 pm Thanks so much! My day job involves book groups for people with developmental disabilities, so I've gotten quite a bit of experience in reading in an engaging way for them.

I didn't get a chance to acknowledge you submission (our DPL is a go-getter :lol: ) so I want to give you my personal thanks for your wonderful contribution to this project. I hope you enjoyed it. And, bravo for your special book groups. :clap:

I hope we will hear a lot more of you here on LibriVox.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry