COMPLETE: Our Western Birds, by Elizabeth & Joseph Grinnell - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

Hello M,

I applied the notes as indicated in your post. Does the file run at the correct volume of 88.0 db?

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_18_grinnell_128kb.mp3
(5:56)

Thanks

-Jonathan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

JGVoices wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:23 pm Hello M,

I applied the notes as indicated in your post. Does the file run at the correct volume of 88.0 db?

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_18_grinnell_128kb.mp3

Thanks

-Jonathan
The volume is still showing as too low. I can get the volume up to 88.6 dB by compressing the file and then amplifying it as high as it will let me. I can go ahead up upload that if it is fine with Larry?
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Your recording is fine. I did however, notice that an "n" got left out of the filename. There are two "n"s in grinnell. I should have caught it sooner as your other recordings are also missing an "n". :oops:

Could you please correct them all and upload again.

Thanks,

M
Last edited by mleigh on May 31st, 2021, 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi M. Thank for catching the filename typo. No need for Alan to re-upload PL OK files. I can fix the filenames on the server. :)
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: May 31st, 2021, 10:18 am Hi M. Thank for catching the filename typo. No need for Alan to re-upload PL OK files. I can fix the filenames on the server. :)
Thank you,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mleigh wrote: May 31st, 2021, 10:09 am
Your recording is fine. I did however, notice that an "n" got left out of the filename. There are two "n"s in grinnell. I should have caught it sooner as your other recordings are also missing an "n". :oops:

Could you please correct them all and upload again.

Thanks,

M
Thanks to our wonderful MC, Jo, you are off the hook.

I've marked this file as PL OK.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mleigh wrote: May 31st, 2021, 11:41 am Thanks to our wonderful MC, Jo, you are off the hook.
I've marked this file as PL OK.
Thank you both :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

Ok sounds good to me if Larry is fine with it. Is that OK Larry?

Also, what might I learn from this situation to avoid having my recorded files to low in the future?

Thanks!

-Jonathan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: May 31st, 2021, 9:54 am
JGVoices wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:23 pm Hello M,

Thanks

-Jonathan
The volume is still showing as too low. I can get the volume up to 88.6 dB by compressing the file and then amplifying it as high as it will let me. I can go ahead up upload that if it is fine with Larry?
Perfectly fine, thank you.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

JGVoices wrote: June 1st, 2021, 7:49 am Ok sounds good to me if Larry is fine with it. Is that OK Larry?

Also, what might I learn from this situation to avoid having my recorded files to low in the future?

Thanks!

-Jonathan
I would say, try to keep a fairly consistent volume, you can amplify as needed after you've finished recording. The problem occurs when you've got some significant spikes that prevent you from amplifying the file too much. If you've only got a few spikes you can reduce the volume on those and then amplify. What you don't want to end of doing is compressing and amplifying too many times as that can really mess up the recording quality. (I know, I tried that once on one of my recordings - reducing the peaks ended up working much better for me.)

Anyway, your recording of 18 is now PL OK.

Thanks,

M
Jime1

Post by Jime1 »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
This is Ready for PL
Stay tuned for your report.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Jime1

Post by Jime1 »

ok;)
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

Thank you for the feedback! I will keep it in mind as I continue to record. I appreciate you working with me to get the file to where it needed to be and hope that you enjoyed my interpretation/performance of the material.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Gary