COMPLETE: Our Western Birds, by Elizabeth & Joseph Grinnell - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KateTk wrote: May 24th, 2021, 6:26 am Here is section 14
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_14_grinnell_128kb.mp3 (Length 6:44)
Thank you!
In the MW Ready for PL
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

It was very pleasant to listen to your recording of chapter 1. It is PL OK.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

KateTk wrote: May 24th, 2021, 6:26 am Here is section 14
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_14_grinnell_128kb.mp3 (Length 6:44)
This was very well read indeed. I can't think of anything else to say other than PL OK. :D

Well done,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Two more well read chapters for the day. 16 and 17 are both PL OK.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 9:05 pm
JGVoices wrote: May 18th, 2021, 11:47 am Hello!

Here is my recording of Chapter 18 (The Cedar Waxwing). Thank you for the opportunity!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_18_grinnell_128kb.mp3

-Jonathan
Looks as if I may have missed this one.
I've got it in the MW Ready for PL now.
But, we do like to have the file length posted along with the link. mm:ss
See other submissions for sample format.
I missed it too. :(

Anyway, this is the fifth beautifully read chapter I have PL'd this evening.

The volume however is too low. It should be about 12 dB higher. You'll probably want to run it through some noise reduction at that point too. I'm not sure of the best way to amplify, so hopefully one of the more experienced folks on the project will know the ideal way to do this.

Larry - Jo,

I would appreciate hearing from the BC or MC as to the best way to do this as just selecting Amplify won't work. (There are a few peaks that keep the file from being amplified sufficiently.) Is it better to take and reduce the amplification of the peaks or is there a better way. The settings I use on Normalize won't work either.

Thanks,

M
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

If it's only a few peaks, then zooming in, selecting each peak individually and deamplifying by 3 db or so, then selecting all and amplifying the whole track by the necessary amount based on Checker or Replay Gain. Taking a quick look at this one, that is what I would recommend. If there were a lot of spikes throughout the recording, then applying compression first and then amplifying is the better way. In both cases, noise reduction can be applied after the track is amplified as needed.
Jo
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
This is in the MW Ready for PL
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

Sorry about that! The file is 5:56

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_18_grinnell_128kb.mp3

I also did my best to apply noise reduction as well as amplify the file. What do you think?

Thanks!

-Jonathan
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

JGVoices wrote: May 25th, 2021, 1:58 pm Sorry about that! The file is 5:56

I also did my best to apply noise reduction as well as amplify the file. What do you think?

Thanks!

-Jonathan
The volume is still coming across as too low. I spent a little time playing with the file and got it to be in the right range for volume and there was a small amount of background noise.

Here is what I did.
1. I selected from 2:49.5-2:49.6 and used Fade In to reduce the peak.

2. I selected from 4:41.7-4:41-85 and used Fade In to reduce the peak.

3. I then ran Compressor with the following settings (I believe it is TriciaG to whom I am indebted for these Audacity settings.)
  • Threshold -20 dB
  • Noise Floor -40 dB
  • Ratio 4:1
  • Attack Time 0.10 seconds
  • Release Time 1.0 seconds
  • The two boxes are unchecked
4. I then Amplified by 7 which gave me a file at 88.0 dB.
5. I ran it through Noise Reduction to reduce the noise a little, but this is not necessary for the file.

For steps 1 and 2, Amplify could also have been used to reduce the volume of those two peaks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

(I fairly recently had a file with the same problem only I had a lot more peaks that I needed to deal with and I ended up with a file that was just barely over the minimum of 86 dB. Your file is in much better shape than mine was.)

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

KateTk wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 7:44 pm
Hi Larry!

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes! and I think it's great that you are notifying us in the MW :D

This is the new file for Chapter 29 and the new time
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_29_grinnell_128kb.mp3 (21:12)
Chapter 29 is PL OK. :thumbs:

Thanks,

M

In case anyone is interested:
The identification information for the Linnet intrigued me as it said it was also known as the House Finch. (That was never mentioned in the chapter on the Linnet.) Being a former librarian, I did some research into the name of this species and found that this bird's name was the subject of an ornithological tiff in the early 20th century. I came across a letter, I think, from an individual at the University of Colorado in the publication Condor complaining about a "group of Californians of an ornithological turn of mind" who persist in calling the House Finch a Linnet. (One of them is a certain J Grinnell.) It is an amusing little read.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Thanks, M, for the amusing anectode about the linnet. As we all know, just because one individual persists in asserting something is true that is actually not true, that doesn't make it true :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Rita
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

Hello M,

Thanks for the insight! Is their anything else that you would like me to do? I ask because "The Cedar Waxwing" still shows as having "notes" even though their does not seem to be anymore notes in regards to recording or rerecording sections.

I also do appreciate the information in regards to editing as that side of Audacity is new to me. I hope that the product I produced will meet the needs of the project. Please let me know if you need me to do anything else for you.

Sincerely,

-Jonathan
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

JGVoices wrote: May 26th, 2021, 3:50 pm Hello M,

Thanks for the insight! Is their anything else that you would like me to do? I ask because "The Cedar Waxwing" still shows as having "notes" even though their does not seem to be anymore notes in regards to recording or rerecording sections.

I also do appreciate the information in regards to editing as that side of Audacity is new to me. I hope that the product I produced will meet the needs of the project. Please let me know if you need me to do anything else for you.

Sincerely,

-Jonathan
The volume was still coming across as too low. That was at the start of my comments in the previous message. It probably got buried with my comments on fixing the volume issues in Audacity.\

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Nicely read - and PL OK.

Thanks,

M