[COMPLETE] The Gingerbread Boy And Other Stories by Laura Roundree Smith - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This was fun - I really like these! She has a great way of writing :D
Yes she does. What I will do is see what else she has written and probably open another of her story books, so stay tuned and read some more of her neat writing. Or you might think of reading one as a solo?
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

philchenevert wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:04 am
This was fun - I really like these! She has a great way of writing :D
Yes she does. What I will do is see what else she has written and probably open another of her story books, so stay tuned and read some more of her neat writing. Or you might think of reading one as a solo?
I'll definitely keep my eye out for group projects, but I've been looking into more of her work for solo projects too! :D
njipark123

Post by njipark123 »

Hello!

I am so sorry it took me a while to complete the recording.
Here is the recording for section 6!

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/gingerbreadboyandotherstories_06_roundtreesmith_128kb.mp3
5:37

Thank you!

Nancy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

njipark123 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:18 am Hello!

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/gingerbreadboyandotherstories_06_roundtreesmith_128kb.mp3
Thank you!
Nancy
No problem. Thanks a bunch. :D
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

njipark123 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:18 am Hello!

Thank you!

Nancy
Nancy, you did a great job! Section 6 is PL OK. :clap:
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Thank you, Heather. You did a wonderful job. I loved the way you transitioned from one voice to another, and so well! However, there are a few mistakes in the recordings that need your correction.

Section 7:
1). Time ≈ between 1:19.5-1:20 : MISSING "Old Mother Bear was a wonderful knitter, and soon she had another stocking nearly finished. She sang as before:
“Click, click, click, I must hurry because,
Tinkle, tinkle, tinkle, comes Santa Claus.”"
2). ≈ Right before 3:33 : MISSING "Old Mother Bear said"
3). Your recording is 94.2 db which is way louder than our recommended volume (between 87 and 91 dB, ideally 89 dB). Please LOWER the volume approximately 5.2 db to get your recording to 89 db.

Section 8:
1). Time ≈ @ 3:46-3:46.5 : REPLACE "Mother Bear" to "Mother Moon"
2). Time between @ 4:06.5-4:07 : MISSING "Shouting".
NOTE: This is a minor issue and relatively unnoticeable, so you don't have to ADD it if you don't want to.
3). Time @ 2:38.5-2:40 : Please DELETE the long silence gap.
4). Again, your recording is way louder than our recommended volume. Please LOWER the volume 3.9 db.

Section 9:
1). The volume is too loud. Please LOWER the volume 5.2 db.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

DariaAM wrote: June 5th, 2021, 8:25 pm
Thank you, Heather. You did a wonderful job. I loved the way you transitioned from one voice to another, and so well! However, there are a few mistakes in the recordings that need your correction.

Section 7:
1). Time ≈ between 1:19.5-1:20 : MISSING "Old Mother Bear was a wonderful knitter, and soon she had another stocking nearly finished. She sang as before:
3). Your recording is 94.2 db which is way louder than our recommended volume (between 87 and 91 dB, ideally 89 dB). Please LOWER the volume approximately 5.2 db to get your recording to 89 db.

Section 8:
NOTE: This is a minor issue and relatively unnoticeable, so you don't have to ADD it if you don't want to.
4). Again, your recording is way louder than our recommended volume. Please LOWER the volume 3.9 db.

Section 9:

Making the changes now. Sorry about the volume, I'm still figuring out Audacity and shouldn't have randomly made changes :(
I've made the db adjustments, but it shrinks the tracks so much that it seems to put it in a range that's too low - according to Phil Chenevert's video. I selected "amplify" and changed the db number, but is there something else that will tell me it's definitely 89 db?

Thanks!!
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Katgirl576 wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:33 am

Section 7:

Section 8:

Section 9:

Making the changes now. Sorry about the volume, I'm still figuring out Audacity and shouldn't have randomly made changes :(
I've made the db adjustments, but it shrinks the tracks so much that it seems to put it in a range that's too low - according to Phil Chenevert's video. I selected "amplify" and changed the db number, but is there something else that will tell me it's definitely 89 db?

Thanks!!
Yes! Try ReplayGain. When I first posted my 1-Minute test on LibriVox, I had the same problem. After watching one of Phil's videos, it worked.

Here is a web link and a YouTube video on how to keep your whole recording consistent at 89 db using ReplayGain.
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Section 7:

Section 8:

Section 9:

Thanks!!
Another way you can adjust your volume is to export your file and move it to desktop, drag your file to the Checker app, and click "Information". Somewhere along the info list, it will tell you your level of volume.
For example: Checker says my recording is 95 db. I would go back to my file, select the whole recording, go to amplify, and type in the top box, " -6 ".
Which means that my recording is 95 db and I am lowering it (-6 db) to get it to 89 db.

Here is the link for the Checker tool: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

DariaAM wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:24 am

Section 7:

Section 8:

Section 9:

Thanks!!
Yes! Try ReplayGain. When I first posted my 1-Minute test on LibriVox, I had the same problem. After watching one of Phil's videos, it worked.

Here is a web link and a YouTube video on how to keep your whole recording consistent at 89 db using ReplayGain.
I actually saw the ReplayGain video this morning :D Unfortunately, I now can't figure out how to install it. :(
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

Katgirl576 wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:09 am
DariaAM wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:24 am

Thanks!!

I actually saw the ReplayGain video this morning :D Unfortunately, I now can't figure out how to install it. :(
I know this is no laughing matter, but I also had confusion installing ReplayGain! :lol: I can relate.
In my post about ReplayGain, I listed a web link that explains how to install it. I don't know which version of Audacity you have, but on my PC (Windows 10), I needed to install it, whereas, my brand new MacBook Pro had the "Normalize" feature under the "Effect" pop-up menu.
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Hi Daria -

Ok, I think I've got it now! ;D I selected all, went to normalize, and set the limit to 89db :D

Here are the corrected files:

Chapter 7
7:57
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/gingerbreadboyandjoyfuljingleplaystories_07_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3

Chapter 8
5:17
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/gingerbreadboyandjoyfuljingleplaystories_08_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3

Chapter 9
6:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/gingerbreadboyandjoyfuljingleplaystories_09_rountreesmith_128kb.mp3

Thanks so much for your help!!
Heather