COMPLETE: A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/a-childs-garden-of-verses-by-robert-louis-stevenson-4/

[WILL ADD SUMMARY AND TAGS LATER] (Summary by Michael Maggs)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/files/28722/28722-h/28722-h.htm

Target completion date: 2021-09-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Children's Fiction/Poetry

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section from A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Recording by MichaelMaggs. A Child's Garden of Verses. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, say:
"Section from A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Recording by MichaelMaggs. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Child's Garden of Verses, by Robert Louis Stevenson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: childsgardenofverses_##_stevenson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. childsgardenofverses_01_stevenson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by MichaelMaggs on April 18th, 2021, 1:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Before anyone asks, I do know that this collection has been recorded a couple of times already, and that some selected poems from it were also done as a collaboration very recently. But it’s something I loved as a child, and another recording surely won’t hurt. :D
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

MichaelMaggs wrote: April 17th, 2021, 4:08 am Before anyone asks, I do know that this collection has been recorded a couple of times already, and that some selected poems from it were also done as a collaboration very recently. But it’s something I loved as a child, and another recording surely won’t hurt. :D
My father used to read them to us when we were little. :)

So, if you are looking for a DPL, I am willing to do it.

Thanks,

M
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

mleigh wrote: April 17th, 2021, 6:30 am
My father used to read them to us when we were little. :)

So, if you are looking for a DPL, I am willing to do it.

Thanks,

M
Thank you - yes please.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

I've switched the reading copy to the 1919 Lippincott edition (https://gutenberg.org/files/28722/28722-h/28722-h.htm). as it includes the dedicatory poem to his nurse, which the other edition omits.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

A favorite of many generations! I still have a 1921 hard cover edition that was originally my mom's. :) I'll MC for you Michael.

Jo
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thank you Jo!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

The plan with these is to make a recording that parents can play at bedtime to their children. Seems to me that's really the point of these verses!

The first two sections are ready for PL:

0. Dedication
1. Poems 1-11
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

MichaelMaggs wrote: April 18th, 2021, 10:54 am The plan with these is to make a recording that parents can play at bedtime to their children. Seems to me that's really the point of these verses!

The first two sections are ready for PL:

0. Dedication
1. Poems 1-11
Well read. They are both PL OK. I enjoyed the poems - some familiar, some not so much.

One comment I would make based on my personal experience is regarding the volume. While it is within the required range, it is on the low end for both recordings. I was asked to bring my volume up to ~ 88dB as that was more desired.

Thanks,

M
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Sections 2, 3 and 4 done and ready for PL, with volume now aimed at 88dB. For consistency, I've amplified sections 0 and 1 a bit, and have re-uploaded them for spot PL.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Sections 0,1, and 4 are PL OK.

Section 2
around 3:04 I hear "sheeps", it should read as "All up and down among the sheets". I'd appreciate it if you would listen to it and if it clearly sounds like "sheets" to you, let me know and I'll mark it as PL OK and chalk it up to bad ears. Otherwise, please go ahead and correct as sheep, unfortunately, doesn't really fit the theme.

Section 3
there is too much silence at the end, please remove around 2 seconds as it should be about 5 seconds of silence at the end.

I must say I am enjoying hearing these poems, reminds me of my childhood.

Thanks,

M
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

I've re-uploaded section 3 with the correct silence at the end. Sorry about that. In section 2, maybe it's my weird pronunciation but I definitely hear "sheets" as expected. I can change it if you really think I should, but to me it sounds right.

I've just finished recording the remainder, and hope to be able to edit and upload those in the next few days.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

MichaelMaggs wrote: April 26th, 2021, 8:34 am I've re-uploaded section 3 with the correct silence at the end. Sorry about that. In section 2, maybe it's my weird pronunciation but I definitely hear "sheets" as expected. I can change it if you really think I should, but to me it sounds right.

I've just finished recording the remainder, and hope to be able to edit and upload those in the next few days.
Sections 2 and 3 are both PL OK. :clap:

Thanks,

M
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Here are the final three sections, ready for PL. Hope they're OK!

(tracks 8 and 9 are not needed).

I'll have a think now about keywords and summary for cataloguing.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Jo, here's what you'll need for cataloguing:

SUMMARY
Robert Louis Stevenson’s A Child's Garden of Verses is one of the most popular and loved collections of children’s verse of the 19th century. This recital of all 64 poems is designed for children’s listening, especially sections 1–6.

KEYWORDS
counterpane, lamplighter, railway carriage, shadow, keepsake mill, child alone, garden days, envoys

I should also mention that I changed the reading edition after setting up the thread. The edition to catalogue is https://gutenberg.org/files/28722/28722-h/28722-h.htm.