[COMPLETE] In Colonial Days by Nathaniel Hawthorne - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Grieg -

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The lady that I am a guardian for passed away on April 29th so I have been a bit busy with paperwork. I am now sitting down to PL your last two sections today :)

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there!

All done!

Here is your PL Feedback - first of all congratulations on no reading issues! That is an amazing feat! I just have some technical feedback for the 2 Chapters which should not be a surprise....

Section 3
Volume is a bit too high at 93dB – please aim for around 89 dB instead.
Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end
Change from Stereo to Mono

Section 4
Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end
Change from Stereo to Mono

Looking forward to your quick spot PL's!

Lynda
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Re-uploads complete.

Sorry, I got a little ahead of myself and kept forgetting to check back.

I adjusted the final track as you requested. I was under the impression that the final track of a book needed ten seconds at the end. Is that no longer true? I haven't read the rules in almost nine years, I've been doing this so long.

I'm glad that there are no proofing issues. Like I said, I did proof the track myself. In the pro audiobook FB group I'm in, I received a lot of stick for saying 'I can proof myself'. Apparently, for most people, proofing audio is like proofing writing. As a written editor too, I know one is not going to be able to proof oneself well. With audio, it seems I have no problems. Perhaps it's my musical training: I have no issue separating the sound of my own voice from my own experience. I am thus not 'too close to the performance'. I was told off for being arrogant. I'm pleased that I was not wrong about my recordings and they are coming out well. I was worried that my understanding of proofing, editing and mastering was wrong. It turns out I have a very unusual production method.

I'm also pleased that the accent works. Yes, East coast was what I was going for. When I started learning an American accent, I went full New York. I toned it down, in order to hit 'General American'; in fact, my recordings after this are toned down more, and I can maintain that comfortably too. Yay.

I lived for a couple of years with a Canadian. Her accent was so American, the only word that I could tell the difference with was 'about', and it thus surprised me sometimes. A stronger Canadian accent, I can't grasp either.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I adjusted the final track as you requested. I was under the impression that the final track of a book needed ten seconds at the end. Is that no longer true? I haven't read the rules in almost nine years, I've been doing this so long.
Back a while ago now, sections longer than 30 minutes had a 10 second end silence. But we've changed that so all sections have 5 seconds at the end. There has been no special rule for the very last section of a book. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei wrote: April 26th, 2021, 9:59 pm PL Feedback - those were two excellent readings! Just technical feedback tonight!

Chapter 1
This recording (actually all of them) are in stereo – they need to be mono please.
The recording is also too loud – the range we accept is between 86–92 dB with a target of 89 dB and this Section is at 92.4 dB
0:05– the beginning of the intro to Section one is not read correctly – missing “Section (or Chapter) # of” before In Colonial Days.
0:13 – the end of the intro to Section one is not read correctly – missing “"In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne.” Before you say Chapter 1 Howe’s Masquerade.

If you need to see what the whole Intro is supposed to be look beneath the Magic Window (the grid where the 4 chapters are listed).

Chapter 2
This recording (actually all of them) are in stereo – they need to be mono please.
This recording, while in the range we accept is at 91.5 dB As you need to fix the stereo please also reduce the volume down to 89 dB which I presume you did with Section 1 also.

Lynda
Spot PL Feedback -
Chapter 1 -

This is the Intro for the Chapter as indicated below the Magic Window -
"Section (or Chapter) # of In Colonial Days. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Section Title."

Please ensure that the Intro for Chapter 1 matches it. Currently it does not.
30:45 - please leave just 5 seconds of silence at the end of the reading. You have 6.
Your volume is too high - it comes in at 92.3 dB where it needs to be between 86–92 dB and we aim for 89 dB. Please take 3 dB off your recording volume.

Chapter 2 - PL OK

Chapter 3 -
32:54 - please leave just 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording. You have 6.
Your volume is too high - it comes in at 92.9 dB where it needs to be between 86–92 dB and we aim for 89 dB. Please take 4 dB off your recording volume.

Chapter 4 -
25:32 - 25:40 - please move the "read by" section to 25:28 which is after "End of Chapter 4". So the Extro will then be the order listed below the Magic Window - End of Chapter 4 Read by name and information... End of Colonial Days by Nathanial Hawthorne then only 5 seconds of silence (you currently have 6).

Please let me know when you have completed your edits by setting the status of the readings back to Ready for Spot PL.

Thanks so much!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Greg -

Just checking in to see if you have managed to get to the edits yet? This book is almost done!

Lynda
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Corrected Chapter 3 uploaded.

Questions:
Chapter 1
The blurb is as printed. The only difference is that I put the author's name after the book title, which the blurb on the instructions doesn't explicitly state. Where else is the author's name supposed to go? I don't understand the problem.

Chapter 4
Is there no longer a sign off bit? You used to be able to say your name, where you're from, and include your own website. What changed? The blurb says no website. Would that be, then, the only thing that needs to be chopped off? I would think that being able to promote yourself would be a motivation to volunteer.

Edmund.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Ligeti_Grieg wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:18 am Corrected Chapter 3 uploaded.

Questions:
Chapter 1
The blurb is as printed. The only difference is that I put the author's name after the book title, which the blurb on the instructions doesn't explicitly state. Where else is the author's name supposed to go? I don't understand the problem.

Chapter 4
Is there no longer a sign off bit? You used to be able to say your name, where you're from, and include your own website. What changed? The blurb says no website. Would that be, then, the only thing that needs to be chopped off? I would think that being able to promote yourself would be a motivation to volunteer.

Edmund.
Hi Edmund - sorry for calling you Greg!

Chapter 1 - The format we are using for books has changed recently and your book is using the new format it seems. That is the format that you should be using for recording your book intro for Section 1 as all books are using that Intro now. The blurb does explicitly state the author name after the boon name - ""In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Section Title.""

Chapter 4 - The sign off bit for a Solo has been moved to the Intro for the 1st chapter and if not said in the Intro for Chapter 1, you can say it at the end of each Chapter where it indicates for the End of Recording - "[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]" Personally, I have never heard anyone mention their website in all the books/Chapters that I have PL'd so perhaps LV has taken the website example out of what you can say at the End however I see no issues in you saying your website if that is what you wish.

Lynda
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Ligeti and Grieg are composers. I put Grieg in my Facebook name and people still call me Greg. I guess no one knows who he is, so it might be time to change that. :D

I'm confused, then. You seem to have said that the issues are not issues. Maybe I'm tired. Please tell me exactly what to take out or change and I'll do so. I don't need to put the website in if it's not supposed to be there. Maybe I was mistaken. The info is on my profile, I guess, if someone felt compelled to look.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The old intro/outro did have personal website, but the new ones don't. The reasoning was to shorten the intro/outro a bit, and like you say, it's in your profile if someone wants it. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I haven't listened myself, but it sounds like the only edits needed are minor variances to the intro/outro (extra info rather than missing info), correct?

If so, I'm okay with cataloging it as-is without being word-perfect on the intro/outro.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Tricia

Volume needs to be reduced also.

Can you do that when cataloging?

If not I can download the files, reduce volume and do the 2 corrections (remove words and 5 seconds of silence) and re-upload in about 10 minutes.

Let me know.

Lynda
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I can reduce the volume at cataloging time.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Do you want me to do the other changes now or just leave them and let you catalog? They are not mission critical :)

Lynda
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The soloist is still around. Edmund - are you okay with the way things are, or do you want to make the last minor edits before cataloging?