[COMPLETE] In Colonial Days by Nathaniel Hawthorne - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804 - 1864)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/in-colonial-days-by-nathaniel-hawthorne/
A collection of British aristocrats, soldiers, gentlemen and ladies gather at the Province House inn, as the American imperial possessions crumble around them. (Summary by The Reader)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64944

Target completion date: 2021-04-26

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of In Colonial Days. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: incolonialdays_##_hawthorne_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. incolonialdays_01_hawthorne_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I'm posting these on my SoundCloud page to boost my pro book profile. Which means they should arrive strictly on time and, if I'm doing it right, should be pretty light on the prooflistening front; I'm exacting them to the same proofing, editing and mastering standards, more or less, as my pro stuff.

According to the FB page from the pro-iest of pros, one should NEVER proof oneself. I must be a genius. Either that, or I'm not. In which case, I would appreciate proofers feedback here (to see whether I can bite my thumb at them . :) )
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Happy to DPL for you!

Does the book really only have 4 Chapters?

Lynda
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not sure why this hasn't gotten an MC yet, other than that the Launch Pad was flooded with new projects for a few days. :) I'll MC for you.
Does the book really only have 4 Chapters?
Yes, it does. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

It seems to be a novella that somebody dug up recently. It's shorter than I assumed.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

I only stumbled upon it by accident.
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Like I said, I have a front cover already. Where would I post that? It seems that you can't share images on this board.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can pre-claim the cover in the CD Cover working thread. In a reply, post the project number (the number at the end of the URL when you're in the MW or when you're hovering over the link to to to the MW) and that you want to preclaim the project.

Do not post/upload the cover yet! That waits until the project is cataloged.

Instructions for the cover art (sizes, how to name the files and upload them when the project is complete) are in the first post of the CD Cover working thread: viewtopic.php?t=28785
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

All files uploaded.

I'm still a bit confused where to post the front cover image. I read the page about resizing, public domain images, etc. But I can't see in the Magic Window where to post. If it is 'Project Screen', then I do not have permission to post.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wait to upload it until the project is cataloged.

Then upload the Zip file using the uploader (like you do for audio files), and choose COVERS from the pick list rather than one of the MCs.

Post the resulting link in that working CD covers thread, along with the info about the project (the catalog page of the book, any info about the images used).
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there!

I will get these listened to over the next few evenings I hope...

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there Grieg!

Just a tip, as I did not see you adding these recordings for me to PL until I saw the post today - when adding the link and the length of the recording on the far right you also need to change the "assigned" to "Ready for PL" or they will now show up on the person who is supposed to be the DPL's window to actually go listen to them :)

This is a small project so it is not a bother however if you are doing longer solo's the DPL normally listens along as recordings are submitted.

I have fixed them in this case.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

PL Feedback - those were two excellent readings! Just technical feedback tonight!

Chapter 1
This recording (actually all of them) are in stereo – they need to be mono please.
The recording is also too loud – the range we accept is between 86–92 dB with a target of 89 dB and this Section is at 92.4 dB
0:05– the beginning of the intro to Section one is not read correctly – missing “Section (or Chapter) # of” before In Colonial Days.
0:13 – the end of the intro to Section one is not read correctly – missing “"In Colonial Days, by Nathaniel Hawthorne.” Before you say Chapter 1 Howe’s Masquerade.

If you need to see what the whole Intro is supposed to be look beneath the Magic Window (the grid where the 4 chapters are listed).

Chapter 2
This recording (actually all of them) are in stereo – they need to be mono please.
This recording, while in the range we accept is at 91.5 dB As you need to fix the stereo please also reduce the volume down to 89 dB which I presume you did with Section 1 also.

Lynda
Ligeti_Grieg

Post by Ligeti_Grieg »

Okay, no problem. I see where it is converting it into Stereo. I am using Reaper and when it renders the MP3, there's a little box I hadn't noticed.

Please continue with the other two files and I will make relevant changes in one go, ie. they will be Stereo too. Thank you.

Sooooo, how's the American accent? I'm working on it. Sound real? Can you tell I'm not American? Trying to make it pro-ready. Not asking for a big analysis or extra work as such. Just a comment. Also, if indeed it sounds real, are there any regional inflections, or is it 'General American'? I have suspicions one way or the other, but I'm just checking. Thanks.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Grieg -

I am hopefully going to get the last 2 PL'd in the next day or two....

As for American accent -- you do realize you are asking a Canadian about an American accent? In fact Tricia, the MC and I are BOTH Canadians! That said, I am currently in the USA on business so that might count! Actually, I do know the difference between Canuck and South of the Border inflections and you are doing well! I used to travel to different cities with my job as a software installer and I primarily worked in the USA. I would have thought that you were from the USA if I had to pick. and from Eastern USA to be specific.

I think that is a great idea to do all the PL feedback at one time!

Lynda