COMPLETE: Selected Lead Articles from "THE DAWN", by Louisa Lawson -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Selected Lead Articles from "THE DAWN", by Louisa Lawson (1848 - 1920)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/selected-lead-articles-from-the-dawn-by-louisa-lawson/

Gender-specific project for Female Readers, one Section per person

Louisa Lawson, the mother of Australian writer Henry Lawson, was the founder, publisher and editor of an early feminist journal in Sydney named “The Dawn”. From 1888 onwards, it played no small part in the gaining of the vote for Australian women in South Australia (1895), Western Australia (1899), New South Wales (1902), Commonwealth (1902), Tasmania (1903), Queensland (1905), and Victoria (1908).

Since the success of the “Digitise The Dawn” project, a number of Louisa Lawson’s lead articles from the journal are available PD online, including the one written in defiance of the male-dominated New South Wales Typographical Association. This union attempted to shut down The Dawn by getting up an advertising boycott and other methods, angered as they were by The Dawn’s all-woman team of editors and printers … the NSW Typographical Association objected to them employing women at all.

Louisa Lawson described one attempt at intimidation to the 'Bulletin' :
"We were just going to press, and you know how locking up isn't always an easy matter-particularly for new chums like we were. Well he stood there and said nasty things, and poor Miss Grieg-she's my forewoman-and the girls, they got as white as chalk; the tears were in their eyes. I asked him three times to go, and he wouldn't, so I took a watering pot full of water that we had for sweeping the floor, and I let him have it."

The advertising boycott in time collapsed after Louisa Lawson suggested her readers adopt the following simple expedient:
"If it is made clear to your tradesmen that you deal with them because they advertise with us, the boycott is immediately defeated."

(Summary by Son of the Exiles)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0606891h.html
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: women, australia, feminism, australian, sydney, louisa lawson

========================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

Please note that we are using the full disclaimer (see below) in all sections.
      START of recording (All Sections)
      "Selected Lead Articles from The Dawn, by Louisa Lawson. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city]"
      Say:
      Selected Lead Articles from The Dawn, by Louisa Lawson. Section [Number] + Title"

END of recording
      At the end of the section, say:
      ""End of section [number]."
      If you wish and only if you haven't already included this in the intro, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city]"
      At the end of the book (ie for reader of Section 16), say (in addition):
      "End of Selected Lead Articles from The Dawn, by Louisa Lawson."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      thedawn_##_lawson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. thedawn_01_lawson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on April 5th, 2021, 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Sixteen people have indicated in the previously published survey their interest in reading one of the sixteen articles, so we will give those indicated a while to confirm their interest by choosing an article.

We also have an MC and a DPL.

Cheers,
Chris

EDIT: All survey respondents have now been contacted.
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on April 4th, 2021, 8:38 pm, edited 13 times in total.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you for the DM! I am still interested and would be glad to read any of the sections, though my first preference would be for "The Root Of All Evil," section 8, second for "The Need of the Hour," section 9. Or if you're trying to arrange an alternation of accents--I'm from the US (New England), though sometimes taken for German/Hungarian/Romanian on the basis of accent (I have no idea why as I've never lived in any of those places).
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

JoannaHoyt wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:08 pm Thank you for the DM! I am still interested and would be glad to read any of the sections, though my first preference would be for "The Root Of All Evil," section 8, second for "The Need of the Hour," section 9. Or if you're trying to arrange an alternation of accents--I'm from the US (New England), though sometimes taken for German/Hungarian/Romanian on the basis of accent (I have no idea why as I've never lived in any of those places).
Thank you! I've signed you up for "The Root Of All Evil," section 8.

Cheers,
Chris
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Could I please claim section 3: Spurious Women?

Thanks,
Wendy
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:21 pm Could I please claim section 3: Spurious Women?

Thanks,
Wendy
Thank you, signing you up!

Cheers,
Chris
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Chris -

I would like to do the last on - The Strike Question - please!

Lynda
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

May I have Section 6 - Boycotting the 'Dawn', please?
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I be happy to be one of the remaining 2 ladies. If it is alright to go ahead and claim may I grab Section 4 “Tea and Bread-and-Butter”?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

May I claim The Divorce Extension Bill...
BettyB
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Lmnei, commonsparrow3, jennlea, BettyB ... signed up!

Thanks,
Chris
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Happy to read any. Unhappy matches and legal ties are interesting titles but any would be fine really
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

JenniferFour wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:19 pm Happy to read any. Unhappy matches and legal ties are interesting titles but any would be fine really
Signing you up for Section 2 - Unhappy Love Matches.

Thanks,
Chris
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I'll claim The Man Question, if that one is still available.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

icequeen wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 7:46 pm I'll claim The Man Question, if that one is still available.
Thank you, signing you up.

Cheers,
Chris