(Complete) Terror Out of Space by Leigh Brackett - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: April 16th, 2021, 3:31 pm Part 2 is PL OK.

Your volume is quite close to the LibriVox minimum: 86.2 dB (range is 86 - 92). Maybe boost the next chapter by a dB?
Thanks for the tip! I hadn't noticed, beyond the fact it passed the checker, but I will definitely do that going forward.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: April 16th, 2021, 3:31 pm Part 2 is PL OK.

Your volume is quite close to the LibriVox minimum: 86.2 dB (range is 86 - 92). Maybe boost the next chapter by a dB?
Much later than I intended, but Part III is ready for PL at 18:41. I got the volume up to 87.7 dB-- hopefully this is better.
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:48 pm
Much later than I intended, but Part III is ready for PL at 18:41. I got the volume up to 87.7 dB-- hopefully this is better.
The volume is fine.

Note only: at around 3:38 there is a tone in the middle of 'feeling' - it's pretty faint and not a problem -- I just wonder what caused it. ???

At around 9:16 there is a missing line: "If I come back myself," said Lundy, "I'll bring them." I hope you have it in your original recording and it just got lost in editing. Otherwise it should be re-recorded.

Good: IT/SHE is back! IT/SHE kind of dropped out during Lundy's long walk down the submerged road.

I'm marking this chapter 'See PL notes' until you find the 'if I come back myself' line.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

And a totally unrelated note: I PL'd another book with a totally different Venus - Lorelei of the Red Mist (Version 2) https://librivox.org/lorelei-of-the-red-mist-by-leigh-douglass-brackett-2/. This was started by Leigh Brackett so the world building is all hers. Then she got pulled off to write a script and the story was finished by Ray Bradbury - there's no attempt made to match writing styles. Also, there's no Lorelei anywhere in the book. Things get a little rocky there during the transition from Brackett to Bradbury.

Now I'm excited to get back to this Venus and find out how things work out for Lundy, IT/SHE, and the plant people.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: May 10th, 2021, 4:55 pm Note only: at around 3:38 there is a tone in the middle of 'feeling' - it's pretty faint and not a problem -- I just wonder what caused it. ???
Listening again, I can't quite figure it out myself, to be honest. I record down in my finished basement since (thanks to the drop ceiling) it's the only room in the house that doesn't have an echo, but I sometimes get stray noises from the utility closet. Normally I catch them... we had a heck of a rain last week, so everything was working overtime.

Thanks for the catch on 9:16-- no idea where that line went, but I've put it back in. New time is 18:47.

loon wrote: May 10th, 2021, 5:11 pm And a totally unrelated note: I PL'd another book with a totally different Venus - Lorelei of the Red Mist (Version 2) https://librivox.org/lorelei-of-the-red-mist-by-leigh-douglass-brackett-2/ [....]

Now I'm excited to get back to this Venus and find out how things work out for Lundy, IT/SHE, and the plant people.
I'm a huge Brackett fan (though not quite so much as Phil! :D ) but, while I enjoy that story for the scenery, it is definitely uneven. Enchantress of Venus features a return to the gaseous red sea, with bonus Eric John Stark... sometimes I think it's Brackett returning to the story and putting her own punctuation on it. :lol:
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:09 pm Thanks for the catch on 9:16-- no idea where that line went, but I've put it back in. New time is 18:47.
A good edit - part 3 is now PL OK.

Brackett sure can write. My favorite line so far is "his skin got cold and a size too small for him."
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

This project is taking a little longer than I anticipated, but I am winding down. Part V has been recorded-- just have to edit, and it looks like it will be the shortest of the lot.

Part IV is ready, clocking in at 15:58.

Hope you're enjoying some nice weather. Ohio has finally figured out it's summer. :lol:
loon

Post by loon »

Excellent!

Minnesota is in for a hot hot hot week. I’ll listen to part 4 when I hide inside this afternoon.
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: June 6th, 2021, 6:38 am Part IV is ready, clocking in at 15:58.
Part IV - PL OK, thanks. It's good to be back on Venus again!
loon

Post by loon »

Oops, I forgot to mark part IV OK in the Magic Window. It is now.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:16 pm Oops, I forgot to mark part IV OK in the Magic Window. It is now.
I actually switched it back to 'ready for spot PL', since I ended up fixing 'flange' at 1:23. Thanks for the heads up!
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: June 7th, 2021, 5:41 pm
loon wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:16 pm Oops, I forgot to mark part IV OK in the Magic Window. It is now.
I actually switched it back to 'ready for spot PL', since I ended up fixing 'flange' at 1:23. Thanks for the heads up!
Aha, that's it. The spot check is PL OK; you're back to 80% complete. I'm eagerly awaiting the final chapter.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: June 7th, 2021, 6:31 pm Aha, that's it. The spot check is PL OK; you're back to 80% complete. I'm eagerly awaiting the final chapter.
Thanks for the encouragement! Gave me the little extra push I needed to finish, though Part V is much shorter than I thought it would be once I edited out my flubs. Do you think it needs to be rolled into Part IV, or will it be okay by itself? We're at 10:37.
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: June 13th, 2021, 3:56 pm Thanks for the encouragement! Gave me the little extra push I needed to finish, though Part V is much shorter than I thought it would be once I edited out my flubs. Do you think it needs to be rolled into Part IV, or will it be okay by itself? We're at 10:37.
Lots of books here have chapters under 10 minutes - 10:37 is nothing to worry about. Also, the text clearly has those parts clearly marked out. Also, you are ths soloist and you get a lot of say in this decision (If I were the soloist on this book I'd happily keep the book at 5 parts).

I've had a busy day - I'll listen to part V in the morning. Sorry to do this to you, but I'm pretty fuzzy at the moment. First thing tomorrow, promise.
loon

Post by loon »

As promised - first thing in the morning.

Part V is PL OK. Congratulations - that's the book. Thanks for sharing this adventure with me!

Now lynnet can package it up and send the files off to archive dot org. There your recordings will be re-encoded at various bitrates and the LibriVox computers can add Terror Out of Space to the catalog as the newest recording. All this shoving files around might take a day. I know that can seem like forever when you're waiting for your solo to come out, but it will get there, it will, it will.

(Coffee is ready for me!)