(COMPLETE)The Gospel of Wealth by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Gospel of Wealth, by Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1919)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-gospel-of-wealth-by-andrew-carnegie/
What is the proper mode of administering great wealth? It is to address this question that steel tycoon Andrew Carnegie's famous essay "Wealth", or more commonly known as "The Gospel of Wealth" was written (in 1989). His answer – Philanthropy. Not just any philanthropy, but specifically, projects funded and overseen during the life of the magnate, for things that benefit the community and engage the public in maintaining long after the magnate is gone -- libraries, parks, universities, hospitals, medical labs, observatories, entertainment halls, swimming pools, etc. Carnegie deemed it the responsibility of every self-respecting self-made rich person in America and the world, to help the poorer classes to rise. Before he died he had built over 3,000 public libraries throughout the world, and to this day various Carnegie foundations continue his work in support of various social causes. (Summary by Michele Fry)
Source text (I will read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924001214539/page/n39/mode/1up?

Target completion date: 2021-06-00

Prooflistening level: Standard Our DPL is KevinS
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Business & Economics

Keywords that describe the book: Please leave this visible so I can add more: inheritance, capitalism, philanthropy, menascus, private property

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.The Problem of the Administration of Wealth.

For the first section, say:
"Part # # of The Gospel of Wealth, by Andrew Carnegie. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Gospel of Wealth, by Andrew Carnegie. Part 1,The Problem of the Administration of Wealth. ."
For the second and subsequent sections, I will use the shortened intro

End of recording:
Say:
"End of Part #." [Optional, and title of chapter: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Gospel of Wealth, by Andrew Carnegie."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: gospelofwealth_##_carnegie_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. gospelofwealth_01_carnegie_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC:
DPL:KevinS
Cover: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on April 14th, 2021, 8:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

May I DPL?
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: March 20th, 2021, 10:56 amMay I DPL?
Indeed! Thank you.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC. Be back in a bit with the MW.

Edit: Do you have the link to the text you're using? I see several copies of "The Gospel of Wealth and other timely essays" on Archive; I want to put the correct one in the database.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks. Here's the link.
https://archive.org/details/cu31924001214539/page/n4/mode/1up?q=no+matter+where+or

I've decided to have only 2 sections. I might have said 4.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!

You said 2, so we're good. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Part 1 is uploaded. I hope it isn't too boring for you, Kevin. I found it a bit tedious despite the many interesting points he made. I am quite disgusted with my sound quality, too. It sounds hollow or spongy. God I hope it isn't just the way I sound :shock:
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:23 pm Thanks!

You said 2, so we're good. :)
Yes now I remember saying 2. Because I can always add more but I can't subtract.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: March 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm Part 1 is uploaded. I hope it isn't too boring for you, Kevin. I found it a bit tedious despite the many interesting points he made. I am quite disgusted with my sound quality, too. It sounds hollow or spongy. God I hope it isn't just the way I sound :shock:
Looking forward to it, no matter what you say! (Wink.)

The sound is slightly, ever-so-slightly, echo-ey. Hard to put my finger on it, but you always read in such a pleasant way, I would say not to worry.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 1 PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:04 am Part 2 is uploaded. 43:19 minutes

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/gospelofwealth_02_carnegie_128bs.mp3
Great! I'll try to listen today! (The first day of mowing might get in the way of this, though.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

No big rush, Kevin. Listen at your leisure. :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 2 PL OK!

Great work!

I enjoyed the lecture, if that is the correct word for it. I can't agree with every point, but Carnegie's central message is a sound one.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate the help.

Tricia, the summary has been tweaked, key words added, and cover ready to go. You can pull the trigger whenever you are ready.