[COMPLETE] The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Tricia, this is to let you know that I have just updated the summary description of the novel in the MW. I understand you will need to update a separate database record at some point to reflect this change.
Yes - thanks for mentioning it. I'll update it in the database right now. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:32 am
Sunrise2020 wrote: March 29th, 2021, 9:19 am
I liked the opening of this chapter, when he writes about his meandering style....Telling the story to someone in a country cottage.
Yes! And here I am reading on my Kindle, or listening on my iPhone with my earbuds... but in my heart, I guess, I'm still in that country cottage. It's an image with a lot of powerful associations.

I've now uploaded section 15: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_15_ford_128kb.mp3 (35:59).

Will we get to the end before the Easter Bunny arrives? Just have to wait and see...
PL of section 15 is okay.

Such good people and so perfectly unhappy.

Unless the Easter Bunny arrives early this year or you got lots of Easter eggs to color, we should make it :-)
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TriciaG wrote: March 30th, 2021, 5:34 am
Tricia, this is to let you know that I have just updated the summary description of the novel in the MW. I understand you will need to update a separate database record at some point to reflect this change.
Yes - thanks for mentioning it. I'll update it in the database right now. :)
I like the new summary!
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded:
Section 16: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_16_ford_128kb.mp3 (20:04)
Section 17: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_17_ford_128kb.mp3 (9:10)

You may be interested to know, Susanne, that I have taken on - without quite intending to, initially - a DPL role on another novel, so I'm finding out for myself now what it's like to be in your shoes, too. I don't expect that to create any slowdowns with this or our next project though, I should add.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: March 31st, 2021, 1:05 am I have uploaded:
Section 16: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_16_ford_128kb.mp3 (20:04)
Section 17: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_17_ford_128kb.mp3 (9:10)

You may be interested to know, Susanne, that I have taken on - without quite intending to, initially - a DPL role on another novel, so I'm finding out for myself now what it's like to be in your shoes, too. I don't expect that to create any slowdowns with this or our next project though, I should add.
PL of Sections 16 and 17 is okay.

Let me know how you enjoy your new role! I've found it to be an interesting learning experience for me: I've definitely become more "choosey" and prefer novels to non-fiction. And nowadays I always listen to the reader before I make a commitment. And I'm happy to do a series of projects with a good reader . :D
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 18: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_18_ford_128kb.mp3 (19:16)

I almost managed to record the final section today as well, too, but was having a lot of trouble with aeroplane noise (which is usually only an occasional bother) - and then a neighbour started on a massive garden clean-up involving chainsaws and motor mowers that went on for the next five hours. Will hopefully record last section tomorrow.

After that, I may need to have a break of ten days or so before starting actual recording on the next project, as we're about to have our house recarpeted, and that's going to involve a fair amount of disruption, with my normal recording setup inaccessible for some of the time. I will probably put a posting up on the Launch Pad during that period, but will possibly not be recording until around 12 or 13 April or so. Am looking forward to that next challenge, though.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds like a sensible plan. 8-)
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:25 am I have uploaded section 18: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_18_ford_128kb.mp3 (19:16)

I almost managed to record the final section today as well, too, but was having a lot of trouble with aeroplane noise (which is usually only an occasional bother) - and then a neighbour started on a massive garden clean-up involving chainsaws and motor mowers that went on for the next five hours. Will hopefully record last section tomorrow.

After that, I may need to have a break of ten days or so before starting actual recording on the next project, as we're about to have our house recarpeted, and that's going to involve a fair amount of disruption, with my normal recording setup inaccessible for some of the time. I will probably put a posting up on the Launch Pad during that period, but will possibly not be recording until around 12 or 13 April or so. Am looking forward to that next challenge, though.
Section 18 was quite depressing and I can well picture poor Nancy sitting in the shadows.

Thanks for the heads-up. Nowadays I look up when I see a jet stream. It seems that there's still less flight activity than normal. Good luck with the works around the house! It'll be nice when it's done but I don't envy you the disruption. I'll use the days to listen rather than proof listen to my other favorite reader: Mark F. Smith.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:29 am
Section 18 was quite depressing and I can well picture poor Nancy sitting in the shadows.

Thanks for the heads-up. Nowadays I look up when I see a jet stream. It seems that there's still less flight activity than normal. Good luck with the works around the house! It'll be nice when it's done but I don't envy you the disruption. I'll use the days to listen rather than proof listen to my other favorite reader: Mark F. Smith.
Yes, not exactly cheerful reading — but then we were warned, I guess, from the opening sentence. And apparently FMF did intend to title this novel "The Saddest Story" but his publishers wouldn't let him, it being 1915.

To be honest, I've not listened to a lot of Mark's work, the only one I can recall for sure being (of all things!) a Conrad novella about two French military officers at loggerheads called "A Point of Honour", which I certainly enjoyed.

Well, cheerful or not (no spoilers!!) I've just uploaded section 19: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_19_ford_128kb.mp3 (23:59).
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:14 pm
Sunrise2020 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:29 am

Yes, not exactly cheerful reading — but then we were warned, I guess, from the opening sentence. And apparently FMF did intend to title this novel "The Saddest Story" but his publishers wouldn't let him, it being 1915.

To be honest, I've not listened to a lot of Mark's work, the only one I can recall for sure being (of all things!) a Conrad novella about two French military officers at loggerheads called "A Point of Honour", which I certainly enjoyed.

Well, cheerful or not (no spoilers!!) I've just uploaded section 19: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/goodsoldier_19_ford_128kb.mp3 (23:59).
PL of section 19 is okay and so we've reached the end of the Saddest Story. I enjoyed the book, it's quiet flow reminded me of a slow flowing stream in the countryside.

We met our Easter deadline and now the bunnies can come. Have a good weekend and please send me a private message when you're ready to start on the next adventure.
==========
Susanne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I see this and will work on cataloging...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-good-soldier-by-ford-madox-ford-2/
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Fabulous! How wonderful to be working with such helpful, on-the-ball colleagues as Susanne and Tricia — and volunteers, to boot! This Librivox really is a most admirable institution. I owe a big thank you to everyone who has helped to build it.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:59 am
PL of section 19 is okay and so we've reached the end of the Saddest Story. I enjoyed the book, it's quiet flow reminded me of a slow flowing stream in the countryside.

We met our Easter deadline and now the bunnies can come. Have a good weekend and please send me a private message when you're ready to start on the next adventure.
Thanks so much for your help with this, Susanne, and for your company along the way, which is really good to have. As you suggest, I'll send you a PM when ready to go again.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I must thank alanmaplestone for kindly bringing to my attention a mistake I have made consistently through my reading of this work.

At the head of every recording, and also at the tail of the last recording, I have read the name of the novel as "The Soldier's Tale" rather than "The Good Soldier". Ah me! We won't even go into how I managed to do that, but I did.... !

Clearly, I need to edit my existing recordings to fix this fault in every case.

What should be my next steps after that?

For example, do I upload the new set of files to the existing project, add a posting here to indicate this is what I have done, then update the MW to ask my DPL to do a spot check on each recording?

With any luck, I would hope to have corrected recordings ready for upload by 7 April, and possibly several days earlier than that. I am aware there will be a planned outage on 5 April.