COMPLETE: The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

H. G. Wells is how we have him in the author database and how most people would search for him in the catalog. When you entered the last name of the author when filling out the template, there should have been a dropdown to select from existing authors in the database. You should always select from the list if possible. New authors obviously won't show up and need to be entered in the template by hand.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

BTW can you confirm that you wrote the summary?
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 10th, 2021, 12:26 pm BTW can you confirm that you wrote the summary?
I did not write the summary. I am happy to change it and provide my own.

Also, about twice a word is used to describe the skin pigment of a few characters. This is not that one word, rather one a polite English gentleman might use to describe an African in 1896. Still, I am not entirely comfortable saying it. Do you have advice?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I sympathize with your discomfort, but LibriVox policy is that we record the text as written.
LibriVox and "Sensitive" Topics
Every work included in the LibriVox collection is potentially a sensitive and sacred text...depending on the reader or listener. We approach every work with respect, but we will not exclude a work because of it being potentially offensive or disrespectful. The nature of our collection is historical due to it being primarily published in 1922 and earlier, and we will be running into works that will raise questions, concerns, or conflicts (i.e. religion, slavery, woman's status in society, treatment of indigenous peoples, etc.)

We acknowledge that some of the information and perspectives presented may be offensive, or even just plain incorrect, but we're preserving history as presented by people of a specific time period without making judgements or statements about these perspectives.

May I change the text?
Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.

The answer is No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies#LibriVox_and_.22Sensitive.22_Topics

Personally, I always scan a text before I decide to read it so as not to be surprised halfway through with words or phrases that I am not comfortable recording.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

As for the summary, it needs to be in the public domain which is why I asked, and one reason we suggest that you write one yourself. We can't use summaries from Amazon, Goodreads or similar sites. It can be from a public domain book review or advertisement for the book published at the time the book was written, something taken from the book or book jacket, or you can just write it yourself. :)
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 11th, 2021, 2:04 pm I sympathize with your discomfort, but LibriVox policy is that we record the text as written.
LibriVox and "Sensitive" Topics
Every work included in the LibriVox collection is potentially a sensitive and sacred text...depending on the reader or listener. We approach every work with respect, but we will not exclude a work because of it being potentially offensive or disrespectful. The nature of our collection is historical due to it being primarily published in 1922 and earlier, and we will be running into works that will raise questions, concerns, or conflicts (i.e. religion, slavery, woman's status in society, treatment of indigenous peoples, etc.)

We acknowledge that some of the information and perspectives presented may be offensive, or even just plain incorrect, but we're preserving history as presented by people of a specific time period without making judgements or statements about these perspectives.

May I change the text?
Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.

The answer is No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies#LibriVox_and_.22Sensitive.22_Topics

Personally, I always scan a text before I decide to read it so as not to be surprised halfway through with words or phrases that I am not comfortable recording.
I did. This may have eluded me. There is really no offense meant at all and not the worst word. This is more for my edification. Thank you.
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 11th, 2021, 2:17 pm As for the summary, it needs to be in the public domain which is why I asked, and one reason we suggest that you write one yourself. We can't use summaries from Amazon, Goodreads or similar sites. It can be from a public domain book review or advertisement for the book published at the time the book was written, something taken from the book or book jacket, or you can just write it yourself. :)
This makes total sense.
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

Thirty-Nine Steps doesnt hold a candle to this.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

And so we begin --- 1-3 are PL OK.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

Having some family concerns this week. Will recommence recording next week after affairs settle.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oops! I'm sorry I didn't catch this on the first three sections, but we have a numbering issue.

The Introduction should have been numbered 00, as it is section 00 in the MW. You labeled 01, which means that the each section as it is posted in the MW is one number off.

The purpose of having introductions, prefaces, etc. put into a zero section is so that the rest of the sections match up in the MW. Chapter 1 will be section 1 in the MW.

Of course this also means that the intros are off, now.

For the introduction, the usual practice is just to start, "Introduction to (or of) [book title and author} then the reast of the long disclaimer as you have it, and end with "End of Introduction"

Then the subsequent sections can be just "Chapter 1 of [book title] etc. and closing with "End of Chapter [number]

This makes it easier and less confusing for both reader and listener.

The reading itself is PL OK, so I've marked it as such.
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I agree with all of Larry's comments above, but at this point depending on how you have handled the intros, it might be easier if I just change the numbers in the MW to match the section numbers on the filenames.
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

I’m happy to make any changes. I can’t be surprised by learning something new.

Let me know what you suggest. Can I copy audio and transport intros to the correct chapter? Or would this possibly corrupt the file? I’ve only done noise reduction.

Please let me know. I am marginally behind and still hoping to hit EOM.

Thank you for keeping on me.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

My suggestions:

1). If we can eliminate the "zero" section, so that the introduction is Section 1, and what is now the first Chapter becomes Section 2, etc. then all of your intros and outros as you have done them would match.

Jo would have to take care of the "zero" section.

2). Renumber the file names so that the introduction is 00, Chapter one 01, etc.
In that case you would have to record new intros and outros so that they would match.
Then you can just upload them with their new file numbers.

This would give the best ultimate result, but more work for you, less for Jo.
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

My vote is for Larry's option 1 as I suggested above. It's about 2 secs of my time to change the numbering in the MW. :)

Thom - to answer your question, yes you can copy and paste between files. If your sound is consistent, then it shouldn't be noticeable, but I still think it would be best to leave well enough alone at this point.

Just let me know what you decide so I know if we are changing the MW to match your file numbering.
Jo