COMPLETE: The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

The Island of Doctor Moreau, by H. G. Wells (1866 - 1946)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-island-of-doctor-moreau-by-h-g-wells-3/

In 1896 HG Wells produced the Island of Doctor Moreau. After a fateful shipwreck, a chance rescue, and offer of safe harbor, Edward Prendick must contend with a dark science. A man of science, Prendick must wrestle with the ethics of its passions. His inner struggle is illuminated by the island's outward horrors. Central to the themes are ethics, principles, and the extent of human compassion. This science fiction icon argues the true question of science: Could the cure be more dangerous than the disease? (Summary by Tom Haire )
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/159

Target completion date: 2021-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Literary Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Island of Doctor Moreau. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Island of Doctor Moreau, by H. G. Wells. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Island of Doctor Moreau, by H. G. Wells. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Island of Doctor Moreau, by H.G. Wells."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: islandofdoctormoreau_##_wells_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. islandofdoctormoreau_01_wells_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by thomhaire on March 11th, 2021, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Thom. Just to be sure you are aware, this will be version 3 of this book. I'm pointing this out, not because it is a problem for you to record your own version (it isn't :)), but in case you weren't aware of this and would prefer to pick a book that isn't already in the catalog.

https://librivox.org/search?q=island%20of%20doctor%20moreau&search_form=advanced
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 6th, 2021, 1:44 pm Hi Thom. Just to be sure you are aware, this will be version 3 of this book. I'm pointing this out, not because it is a problem for you to record your own version (it isn't :)), but in case you weren't aware of this and would prefer to pick a book that isn't already in the catalog.

https://librivox.org/search?q=island%20of%20doctor%20moreau&search_form=advanced
Thank you so much. I do acknowledge this, but to me this is training and to put some diversity into my catalog.
Is this ever an issue?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It's not an issue. I'll set this up for you. MW will be along shortly.
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

Wonderful. May I go ahead and access BC when at a computer?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, you have access to the MW as the BC so you can go ahead and fill in the section titles whenever you have time.

I'll leave the thread here for a day or two to see if a DPL volunteers before moving to Going Solo.
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 6th, 2021, 1:44 pm Hi Thom. Just to be sure you are aware, this will be version 3 of this book. I'm pointing this out, not because it is a problem for you to record your own version (it isn't :)), but in case you weren't aware of this and would prefer to pick a book that isn't already in the catalog.

I will keep this in mind in the future, and use this as a tool to create first time readings.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'd love to join you as DPL again, but I've got to finish up Thirty-nine Steps first.
This book made quite an impression on me when first read it back in high school.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

silverquill wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:39 pm I'd love to join you as DPL again, but I've got to finish up Thirty-nine Steps first.
This book made quite an impression on me when first read it back in high school.
That is greatly appreciated. I hope to do this justice.
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:20 pm It's not an issue. I'll set this up for you. MW will be along shortly.
The text link, somehow, is incorrect.

Current address: Gutenberg.org/books/159

Actual address: Gutenberg.org/Ebooks/159

Not sure why or how, but will be more careful. Can this be changed or is that necessary?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Might have been my typo. If so I apologize! I think you had the direct link to the text. We use the main PG page for the book for the catalog. I've corrected it. For future reference, you can edit your top post in the thread by clicking on the pencil icon at the top right of that post.
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Don't forget to put me in for DPL, Jo.
We finished "Thirty-Nine Steps," a wonderful rendition by this talented soloist. :wink:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm Might have been my typo. If so I apologize! I think you had the direct link to the text. We use the main PG page for the book for the catalog. I've corrected it. For future reference, you can edit your top post in the thread by clicking on the pencil icon at the top right of that post.
Will do. This is all still new, but coming along. Everyone has been so helpful.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

silverquill wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:13 pm Don't forget to put me in for DPL, Jo.
We finished "Thirty-Nine Steps," a wonderful rendition by this talented soloist. :wink:
Will do. I wasn't quite sure if you were signing on or waiting until the other book was finished.
Jo
thomhaire

Post by thomhaire »

thomhaire wrote: March 10th, 2021, 8:01 am
knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm Might have been my typo. If so I apologize! I think you had the direct link to the text. We use the main PG page for the book for the catalog. I've corrected it. For future reference, you can edit your top post in the thread by clicking on the pencil icon at the top right of that post.

I also see you changed the author's name. I entered Herbert, and it displayed that. Now its correct at HG.