COMPLETE The Story of a Modern Woman (version 2) by Ella Hepworth Dixon - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

beeber wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:22 pm Chapter 20 is ready for PL.

This chapter is the one where the author sounds most "activist" — clearly laying out in Alison's words a kind of manifesto for women. She speaks of the importance of solidarity — women working together to achieve a new and better world. This is reminiscent of the language of trade unions, and that's no coincidence. The trade union movement was surging at this time, and there was cross-fertilization of ideas and rhetoric between the labour movement and the women's movement.

Such ideas put them at odds, of course, with the Conservative establishment, and that puts Alison at odds with her mother. First of all, of course, there is a generational difference: Lady Jane, we are told, has the ideas of someone who was young in the 1850s.

But there's also a specifically political difference alluded to in this chapter. Precisely at the moment when Alison is at home declaring her manifesto of female solidarity, Lady Jane is out of the house because she's at a meeting of the "Primrose League." The Primrose League was a huge club, including both women and men (founded in the 1880s, with more than a million members by the 1890s), supporting conservative ideas and the Conservative Party. It was a rare opportunity for women to participate in public discourse, which is good, but the purpose was to fight off dangerous new ideas — ideas like trade unionism and the changing role of women. Nothing could make more clear the difference between mother and daughter.
PL of Chapter 20 is fine.

What fascinating background! The league certainly had famous members in its prime.
==========
Susanne
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 21 is ready for PL.

(I like the carefully ambiguous one-line telegram she sends to Vincent Hemming.)

Bruce
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

beeber wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:33 pm Chapter 21 is ready for PL.

(I like the carefully ambiguous one-line telegram she sends to Vincent Hemming.)

Bruce
PL of Chapter 21 is okay.

The telegram is finely crafted. What a sad day for Mary.
==========
Susanne
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 22 is ready for PL.

Five years have passed....
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

beeber wrote: April 5th, 2021, 1:31 pm Chapter 22 is ready for PL.

Five years have passed....
PL of Chapter 22 is fine.

Old friends meet again and little has changed in society.
==========
Susanne
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 23 is ready for PL.

Bruce
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

beeber wrote: April 6th, 2021, 3:08 pm Chapter 23 is ready for PL.

Bruce
PL of Chapter 23 is okay.
==========
Susanne
beeber

Post by beeber »

Chapter 24 is ready for PL.

And that's all there is! It was interesting, for me, to continue this deep dive into the fiction of 1894. (As Susanne knows, this and my previous two projects were all by and about women, and all were published in 1894.)

Of course, I want to thank Susanne, as always, for the time you spent listening to this book and for your always encouraging interest. And thanks to you, Dave, for your administrative work on the project.

Bruce
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

beeber wrote: April 7th, 2021, 3:16 pm Chapter 24 is ready for PL.

And that's all there is! It was interesting, for me, to continue this deep dive into the fiction of 1894. (As Susanne knows, this and my previous two projects were all by and about women, and all were published in 1894.)

Of course, I want to thank Susanne, as always, for the time you spent listening to this book and for your always encouraging interest. And thanks to you, Dave, for your administrative work on the project.

Bruce
PL of Chapter 24 is okay.

Bruce, thank you for letting me be part of another interesting read. I enjoyed this book and your comments :D
==========
Susanne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Off to cataloging!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/story-of-a-modern-woman-ver2--ella-dixon/

Let me know if anything is amiss. Congrats! Another fine addition to the catalog.