[COMPLETE] The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

I'm not using Audacity because it doesn't work on chromebook. I'll try to fix the background noise, and do you know any other recording options that could work on chromebook?
Isabella Garcia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84473

Twisted Wave is a good choice, but it's not free.

Apparently there's an extension you can download to get Audacity to run on a Chromebook, too.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
anlinpereira

Post by anlinpereira »

Hi there, I can do chapter 1 if you would like!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

anlinpereira wrote: March 11th, 2021, 8:55 am Hi there, I can do chapter 1 if you would like!
Hi there! This is a solo, which means one person is doing all the readings.

Go to the "Readers Wanted" forums (you're in "Going Solo" now) to find works that everyone can read. :)
anlinpereira

Post by anlinpereira »

Hi, I can proof listen chapter 1 if you would like!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hello - I can't commit to DPL, but I have a moment to help, so I'm pulling section 2 to PL :)
~Lynette * - family visiting, very slow response and PL work until the 22nd.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Actually, Isabella, if you would like, I can pick up your project on my DPL list. One of my people will be out for a few months, so there's an opening on my list right now. And welcome to LibriVox, by the way! Nice to have you onboard.

Here are PL Notes for Section 2:

Your reading is fine. No content edits are needed.

As you commented earlier (and the PL for section 1 noted), the decibels are very low. This file comes through Checker at only 67.8, and we need it to land between 86 and 92. It's an easy fix in Audacity - perhaps you can find a similar function in the software you used to make your recording.

(Have you seen this post about using Audacity on Chromebook? How to Install Audacity on Chromebook. I am not tech savvy at all, so I don't know the first thing about what it's saying. Perhaps you can make sense of it. :lol: )

In Audacity, this is how raising the decibels would be done:

• Open the recording
  • Click Control-A to select the entire track
  • From the Effects drop-down menu, select Amplify
  • Type 19 in the top box (ignore everything else)
  • Click OK

Amplifying the track reveals the background noise, so once you've fixed the decibels, you'll want to run the track through Noise Reduction.

Fixing that is an easy edit, one that most of us do on all of our recordings.

• Open your recording file, and then:
  • Zoom the track bigger so you can easily highlight the ending silence period. (Just click and drag your mouse across that stretch.)
  • In the Effects Menu, select "Noise Reduction"
  • Click on "Get Noise Profile"
  • Click Control-A to highlight the entire track.
  • Re-open the Noise Reduction effect and for now use these numbers:
    Noise Reduction: 12
    Sensitivity: 6
    Frenquency smoothing: 3
  • Click OK

Now you can re-export the file to mp3 and upload the new file the same way you did the first time. Don't forget to post again. :)

(If you haven't already done so, you might want to bump the recording volume up a little bit for your next file.)
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put you in as DPL. Lynette, and marked the 2 sections as See PL Notes.

Thanks!
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

LCaulkins wrote: March 12th, 2021, 6:01 pm Actually, Isabella, if you would like, I can pick up your project on my DPL list. One of my people will be out for a few months, so there's an opening on my list right now. And welcome to LibriVox, by the way! Nice to have you onboard.

Here are PL Notes for Section 2:

Your reading is fine. No content edits are needed.

As you commented earlier (and the PL for section 1 noted), the decibels are very low. This file comes through Checker at only 67.8, and we need it to land between 86 and 92. It's an easy fix in Audacity - perhaps you can find a similar function in the software you used to make your recording.

(Have you seen this post about using Audacity on Chromebook? How to Install Audacity on Chromebook. I am not tech savvy at all, so I don't know the first thing about what it's saying. Perhaps you can make sense of it. :lol: )

In Audacity, this is how raising the decibels would be done:

• Open the recording
  • Click Control-A to select the entire track
  • From the Effects drop-down menu, select Amplify
  • Type 19 in the top box (ignore everything else)
  • Click OK

Amplifying the track reveals the background noise, so once you've fixed the decibels, you'll want to run the track through Noise Reduction.

Fixing that is an easy edit, one that most of us do on all of our recordings.

• Open your recording file, and then:
  • Zoom the track bigger so you can easily highlight the ending silence period. (Just click and drag your mouse across that stretch.)
  • In the Effects Menu, select "Noise Reduction"
  • Click on "Get Noise Profile"
  • Click Control-A to highlight the entire track.
  • Re-open the Noise Reduction effect and for now use these numbers:
    Noise Reduction: 12
    Sensitivity: 6
    Frenquency smoothing: 3
  • Click OK

Now you can re-export the file to mp3 and upload the new file the same way you did the first time. Don't forget to post again. :)

(If you haven't already done so, you might want to bump the recording volume up a little bit for your next file.)
THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D :D :D :D
Isabella Garcia
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

So, I made another recording of chapter 1, with no background noise, all words said once, and the decibel level a little higher. Do I put another upload in this forum or in the magic box?
Isabella Garcia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Upload the new chapter using the same file name, and update the Magic Window with the new run time.

Change the status: if you recorded it all fresh, change it to "Ready for PL". If you cut out the repeats and basically just edited your existing file, change it to "Ready for Spot PL". (If it's a fresh recording, it'll need to be listened to all the way through. If it's an edit on the old file, only the edits need to be checked.)
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

I'm sorry it's been so long since I made an update. School projects and exams have taken a huge amount of my time. I have plans to get an upload and an edit out as soon as possible today.
Isabella Garcia
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

I have a question, if I can put two chapters into one part, do I need to change the intros and outros?
Isabella Garcia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you were blind and using only the intros/outros to navigate the files, how should they be said to make it easier?

I have not listened to your files. If you say "Section [number]" then you can keep doing that. If you say "Chapter [number]" then say "Chapters 6 and 7"
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hello :)

I'm sorting through all my LibriVox "stuff," and my brain was thinking, "wasn't I DPL'ing a Dorian Gray project?" So I came looking for this.

If you've been waiting for me, I'm so sorry - The project is not showing up on my Reader Page list of PL projects. Also, there's a tilde on the main post title, indicating a DPL is needed?

Whether I'm DPL or not, I've pulled Sections 1-5 to spot and PL, and I'll hit all of those over the next couple of days.

We'll get you rolling!