[COMPLETE] The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-picture-of-dorian-gray-by-oscar-wilde-3/
The Picture of Dorian Gray follows the title character as he downspirals due to gaining his wish of eternal youth. (Summary by Isabella Garcia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/174

Target completion date: 2021-07-16

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Picture of Dorian Gray. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: pictureofdoriangray_##_wilde_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. pictureofdoriangray_01_wilde_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ICGM918 on May 3rd, 2021, 6:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Isabella Garcia
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

My goal is to post most of the recordings on the weekends because during the weekdays, I have school, but I will try to get some recordings during the weekdays.
Isabella Garcia
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

you will need a different link which should be easy to find. We prefer Project Gutenberg because they do check the PD status, but we will accept actual scans which show the printing date.

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Previous recordings have used this text

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/174
Jo
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

Thank you. I'll download that version just to be safe and try to get to recording tomorrow.
Isabella Garcia
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

Excuse me, but which MC am I supposed to make it out to?
Isabella Garcia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You don't have an MC yet. Please wait until someone posts that they will MC your project before you start uploading.

For my part, I'm not prepared to MC for you at this time. So far, you have submitted a handful of recordings to group projects, but none of them have had the correct technical specifications, and I can't see any indication that you've attempted to fix them. Personally, I'd like to see you fix that issue before I would agree to MC for you. I also noticed that you said you hadn't been able to figure out how to edit. Did you ever find a solution to that?

Another MC might be more able to work closely with you to address these hurdles, but I'm not, at this time.

I wish you luck!
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

I did find a solution to editing.
As for the technical requirements, the only one I've seen so far that I haven't met is the dBs because the settings for my recorder match all the other requirements as far as I can see.
Isabella Garcia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

If you have already recorded, please check the text with the link provided by Jo above and make any changes needed to make your recording fit that text. We cannot use the Goodreads version because it may have been edited and therefore secure new copyright restrictions.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Unfortunately, I have to go for the next few hours. I'll be back this afternoon and will answer any questions you have then. :)
ICGM918

Post by ICGM918 »

Aaah! I just realized I put the wrong month for the duedate. I meant May 16th.
Isabella Garcia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not a problem on the due date. :)

Moving this to Going Solo...
mjlund

Post by mjlund »

Hello, I will PL for chapter 1 (and may do more if time allows).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you!
mjlund

Post by mjlund »

PL notes for chapter 1 !
As PL, I should point out any moments that disrupt the flow of the recording.

“The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world.”(4:40) pause + skipped words
“And why is it so?” (17:25) line repeated

Your tech aspects are good, but according to my program, your dBs fall short of the preferred range. The volume should be raised a bit. (Between 86 and 92 dBs)

Also, I'm picking up a bit of background noise. I’m not sure what program you are using to record, but with Audacity, you can utilize the “noise reduction” feature to fix this.

I hope this feedback is helpful. I’ll check this project thread if you choose to reupload with any edits :D