COMPLETE: The Workers, an Experiment in Reality - The West by Walter Wyckoff - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:50 am Sections 7 - 10 now ready - long chapters!
All PL OK!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sections 11 - 13 ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:07 am Sections 11 - 13 ready
ALL PL OK!
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

14 - 17 now ready. Slower going for me as the weather is nicer and we're finally getting out in the world! I won't make my end of April deadline, but hopefully will get there by mid-May.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

18 - 20 ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: April 25th, 2021, 8:33 am 14 - 17 now ready. Slower going for me as the weather is nicer and we're finally getting out in the world! I won't make my end of April deadline, but hopefully will get there by mid-May.
Same here. :)
And, this is school vacation week for New Hampshire. I took a day off and we took the kids to the Science Museum in Boston which they love. Sunday we drove up to Maine ending up at a covered bridge where we had a tryst 43 years ago on our second outing together. (It was a church singles group) Hadn't been back since.

And last week we greeted a new granddaughter! (We all share a house with our own quarters downstairs). So, it has been an interesting time. :D

Anyway, these are PL OK.
Thinking of his A Day with a Tramp next?
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sounds like you've been having an amazing time - and congratulations on the new granddaughter (hope you've been getting some sleep!). I'm not sure what I'll record next - I will be away for 5 weeks starting in June so will likely not start another book after this is finished until I get back. My plan is that once I'm finished with this one, I'll help out with chapters here and there on group efforts. While I'm away, I'll peruse some public domain books (maybe do the other Wyckoff) so that by the time I return I can get started. This has been a fascinating read, though, especially as I'm currently reading The Grapes of Wrath which takes place in the 30's - which means many of these people lived through both eras. I wonder how many of these farmers that Wyckoff worked for ending up losing everything and heading West?
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

21 - 24 now ready. One more chapter to go!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I got through Section 22 - all PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

And, all caught up -- 23 and 24 also PL OK.
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

25 and 26 ready - and that's a wrap! As I mentioned earlier, I won't be recording any solo books until after I get back in mid-July.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: May 12th, 2021, 8:35 am 25 and 26 ready - and that's a wrap! As I mentioned earlier, I won't be recording any solo books until after I get back in mid-July.
The physical stamina of this man astounds me.

And, in section 25 a kept hearing John Denver singing, "Goin' up Cripple Creek to see my gal." :lol: I've been to Cripple Creek, but by car.

I've marked these both PL OK, but I offer you an optional pronunciation correction. The word "placer" which refers to a surface mining for gold is actually pronounce with a short "a" instead of a long sound as one would naturally assume. Why this is so, I don't know. There is a town up in the gold country of California named Placerville, which I have visited. Should you desire to correct them, I heard this in just two places:

21:30 “a little placer deposit”
23:04 “test some placer diggings”

I have thoroughly enjoyed these two volumes and your superb reading.

Our summer plans haven't been finalized, but our daughter from California is visiting this weekend, and we hope to visit her and family the last week of July, and then I hope to make a week to ten day trip to Oregon in mid-August to visit my brothers in Oregon.

If you like pirates, I just started Daring Deeds of Famous Pirates viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87207

All the best,
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Thanks so much Larry - I've made the corrections and uploaded the new file. And yes, his physical stamina is amazing - 30 miles a day, and preferring to walk to riding on a burro! It's sad that he died so young, at age 43. I find him fascinating - there's not a lot on the internet about him, but I intend to read all that I can.

Cripple Creek - I kept singing Cripple Creek Ferry by Neil Young, and Up on Cripple Creek by The Band. It sure has a popular place in folk song lyrics!

Nice to hear that vacation plans are in the works - I sure did miss travelling last year, and as it was the 1st year of my husband's retirement, we had a lot of plans that were cancelled. So while we're fully vaccinated and have nice big healthy antibodies, we're going to make the most of it!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Seamless corrections.

I'll let Jo know we're done.
Thanks again for the enjoyable journey through these two books. :9:

Have a fantastic summer. :clap:
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations Phyllis on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/the-workers-an-experiment-in-reality-the-west-by-walter-a-wyckoff/
Jo