[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 2 November 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

racheld427 wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 10:07 pmJust spent a few hours on this and was too excited to stop, so I finished it! This was really fun but I know I have a lot of room for improvement, and I am grateful for being able to participate. Here's my name for the catalog: Rachel Diaz
I corrected your catalogue name now, better like this ? https://librivox.org/reader/15881

And wow, thank you for this very fast turn-around and what a wonderfully narrated story it was. I loved the liveliness with which you told the story, especially in the crazed exclamations of the sculptor near the end. :thumbs: Careful though, with the volume there. If you speak too loud in the excitement, there's the danger of clipping the audio and the sound may get distorted. It's ok here though, no damage done.

The narration was flawless and interesting to listen to. Congratulations to your first official PL ok for LV. :clap: Well done, and seeing that you seem to have loved the process, I'm sure we will hear from each other again in some other project, maybe even another Black Cat. :9:

If I had to suggest one thing for future improvement, it's the background noise. In some parts in the beginning there is a bit more noise than at the end. Maybe you recorded in two sessions and you were not able to uniformly clean the noise over the whole section. It is nothing you need to change for this time, the noise is not too disturbing for the listening pleasure. All is well. :)

Thank you, and I hope you have fun with many other sections. Have you seen our March Challenge ? See my signature for the link to more details. Maybe you want to jump in and help out in there till the end of the month. 8-)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
racheld427

Post by racheld427 »

Thank you for the feedback! I have been having some trouble with removing background noise. I do live in a basement so with the heater and sump pump running every so often, there will be a bit more background noise. I'll experiment some more with Audacity to try to figure out my problem.

I have also taken your advice and requested to read a chapter in one of the March Challenge's list.

And yes, the catalog name is correct.

Looking forward to another Black Cat, it was fun!

Rachel
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

racheld427 wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 9:09 amI have been having some trouble with removing background noise. I do live in a basement so with the heater and sump pump running every so often, there will be a bit more background noise. I'll experiment some more with Audacity to try to figure out my problem.
Audacity has a good noise cleaning function. If you need help on how to do it, let me know. :) It's important to find the right sample of the noise, then the cleaning will be more accurate.
I have also taken your advice and requested to read a chapter in one of the March Challenge's list.
hey cool :thumbs: thank you for helping out !
Looking forward to another Black Cat, it was fun!
if you stay bookmarked to this thread you can always follow the announcements, I will post here when I launch the next one.

Sonia
Books

Post by Books »

I have posted a sample in the weekly poetry section, will that work as my one minute test? https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/maiden_wilcox_AMH_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Books wrote: March 9th, 2021, 12:43 pmI have posted a sample in the weekly poetry section, will that work as my one minute test? https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/maiden_wilcox_AMH_128kb.mp3
well, the reason the tests are best done in the Listener Wanted forum instead of a project thread is that: 1. the project managers will not be cluttered full with tests they have to check and can instead concentrate on the actual files for their projects, and 2. the tests are all pooled in one specific area, where there are dedicated feedback givers who can help you with technical problems.

So it would have been better to have posted a regular test in the correct subforum. But since you already uploaded a file, I had a look at it, and the technical settings are ok. Only the volume is under our accepted limits. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, you only reach up to 80.5. So you would need to amplify this poem with +8 to get to a good average of about 89 dB. This is probably what the BC/DPL for the weekly poetry project will tell you to correct. :)

Another small technical detail is that you should never use capital letters in file names. So _amh_ for your initials would be required. This would not fail your test though, but for the official project it's important.

Apart from that you're good to go. Please let me know by what reader name you want to go with and I can assign you the section officially then with your reader page, unless David beats me to it in the weekly poem ;)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Section 5 recorded, must edit.

And coincidentally, the tornado here yesterday was only a mile away or so - so I knew exactly what was being described here!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Section 5. Length 20:50.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0202nov1896_5_various_128kb.mp3

Coque vent?

Thanks, Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Is Section 3 open? I do not understand what the notes in the MW mean since there is no reader apparently attached to this chapter. Please advise.

If it is open then I would like to claim it. If not, my apologies for not fully understanding its status.

Thanks!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:18 pmIs Section 3 open? I do not understand what the notes in the MW mean since there is no reader apparently attached to this chapter. Please advise.
sorry, yes the section is reserved for the time being. The reader did not yet finish the one-minute-test so I only unoficially reserved it for her. But I forgot to add it once the test was ok. Sorry for the confusion. :(

But stay bookmarked, maybe you are in luck and one story gets orphaned. Do I understand you correctly that you would take on that one in that case ?

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:33 am
GregGiordano wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:18 pmIs Section 3 open? I do not understand what the notes in the MW mean since there is no reader apparently attached to this chapter. Please advise.
sorry, yes the section is reserved for the time being. The reader did not yet finish the one-minute-test so I only unoficially reserved it for her. But I forgot to add it once the test was ok. Sorry for the confusion. :(

But stay bookmarked, maybe you are in luck and one story gets orphaned. Do I understand you correctly that you would take on that one in that case ?

Sonia
Sonia,

Absolutely! You can always call on me!

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 4:25 am Absolutely! You can always call on me!
ok it's noted, thank you, Greg :) I'm happy the Black Cats are to your liking.

Todd...I have not forgotten you, will proceed to listening now

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 19th, 2021, 1:51 pmHere is Section 5. Length 20:50.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0202nov1896_5_various_128kb.mp3
Coque vent?
what does coque vent mean ? :hmm:

Well this story is quite unbelievable :lol: it's a sort of "air variant" of the horrible incident inside the Maelstrom in Poe's short story. And the ending is so frustrating :evil: why does the author end in a cliffhanger ? Well I guess we have to imagine that he killed his fiancée by throwing her out, or am I too gruesome there ? Some tragedy must have ensued.

In any case, excellent narrative, thank you so much. Totally PL ok, of course. :thumbs:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Coque Vin would be Chicken in Wine.

Coque Vent would thus be Chicken in the Wind - no? Never mind....

I am sure that she was not killed, but rather just too shaken to continue the romance once she saw that he was hairless and deafened. Particularly if she too ended up with no hair. I think of both portraits having being taken after their miraculous survival, when the balloon remains deposited them safely on the ground in Kansas and they became a 10 days wonder what with photos and the papers, Professor Whirlwind publicity tour as protégées of the Aeronaut. And the rooster became the grandfather of the Flying Rooster Rocky in the movie Chicken Run

See? An unfinished story can open many possibilities for what might have been next!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 5:45 amCoque Vin would be Chicken in Wine.
Coque Vent would thus be Chicken in the Wind - no? Never mind....
:lol: ah ok, I was a bit slow on the uptake now...ok I get the pun. In fact it's "coq au vin" (at least in French, it may be different in English).
Particularly if she too ended up with no hair.
yikes I didn't even think about that. But she was down in the basket, maybe that preserved her hair
I think of both portraits having being taken after their miraculous survival, when the balloon remains deposited them safely on the ground in Kansas and they became a 10 days wonder what with photos and the papers, Professor Whirlwind publicity tour as protégées of the Aeronaut. And the rooster became the grandfather of the Flying Rooster Rocky in the movie Chicken Run
:mrgreen: I see you have a good imagination. :thumbs: But the guy's epileptic response triggers in my a more dramatic ending.

Sonia
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Whew!! That was a long one. I hope it's acceptable. I had to record it in separate chunks, and some days were better than others. I accept all criticism.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0202nov1896_1_various_128kb.mp3 42:32 minutes