COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 081 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Sue Anderson wrote: April 10th, 2021, 8:28 am Under the category of "good news" and wonders of the natural world, a red fox has just given birth to 5 kits under my garage! The babies are, well, what can I say? They are cute! Guess what I'll be reading about next for the SNF! Here's a short video I took yesterday: https://audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com/arts/natureandscience/unexpected-house-guests/
I love the thematic unity on your website - pictures, commentary and recordings! It's very well done.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the history of submarines Nick :D

PLOK

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Sue Anderson wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Piotrek81 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:14 pm And here's the one about the man himself

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf081_johnhuss_black_pn81_128kb.mp3 22:15
Source http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40538/40538-h/40538-h.htm#ar5
Author: John Sutherland Black
Thanks, Piotr! :D It's good to have these two related recordings in the same volume of the SNF. I'd like to have the two readings stay together in the cataloging process too, so that people can, or will, listen to both of them together. For lack of a better idea, I've titled your second recording, on John Huss, as "Hussites: John Huss, Bohemian Reformer and Martyr." That way, it will follow your first recording, which, at present, is simply titled "Hussites." If you have any thoughts on this scheme, or a better idea, please let me know. Thanks for these important historical readings for the SNF!

As you undoubtedly know, the recordings are cataloged in alphabetical order.
That'll be fine :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Piotr! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

InTheDesert wrote: April 12th, 2021, 5:28 am
I love the thematic unity on your website - pictures, commentary and recordings! It's very well done.
Thanks for your kind words! :D
Donzo

Post by Donzo »

Hi Sue,

I wanted to know how much of the book may, or should read? The Subways And Tunnels of New York By Gilbert H Gilbert....
It' my first time doing an SNF
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the lesson on why the north went to war David :D

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Donzo wrote: April 12th, 2021, 1:29 pm Hi Sue,

I wanted to know how much of the book may, or should read? The Subways And Tunnels of New York By Gilbert H Gilbert....
It' my first time doing an SNF
Hi Donzo, What chapter, or excerpt you choose to read from a book should probably be determined by these factors:

1) what interests you most;

2) does the chapter or portion of the book you want to read "stand alone," i.e. will it make sense to a listener without hearing what went before or after the part you read;

3) how many minutes of recording time will it take you to read the part of the book you are considering.

Taking these points, in reverse order: Recording Time: The SNF's definition of "short" is anywhere from 30 seconds to 74 minutes of recording time. When you are starting out with recording, I recommend you keep your recordings under 30 minutes so you won't be overwhelmed editing what you have recorded. Figure out approximately how many words per minute you read, and divide that into the approximate number of words in the chapter or section of the book you are thinking about reading.

Will it make sense to the listener? Here are two potential reads I spotted that would meet the stand-alone criteria. One would simply be a combination of the "Tribute" and the "Preface" sections, which give an overview of why the tunnels of New York are so important. A second potential read that struck me as interesting with "stand alone" qualities would be Chapter III, the "East River Gas Tunnel, which has a description of an early air lock.

What interests you most? Somebody from Brooklyn might jump on Chapter IV (Brooklyn-Manhattan Division of the New York Subway. Another person, whose interest was in engineering technology might choose Appendix C "The Use of Compressed Air in Tunneling."

Don't take on too much! Just a chapter or appendix of your choosing should work out fine for the SNF. If it will help, you are welcome to post here on the thread what you have chosen, and I will be glad to review it before you begin.

Vol. 081 is now full, but we will be opening volume 082 in a few days. Looking forward to hearing your recording,
Donzo

Post by Donzo »

Thank You Sue, I got it, very thorough explanation :clap: d :D
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Wisehive55 :thumbs:

A view of what women thought of the picture industry by insiders in 1925.

Nicely read.

one error noted.

7:57 P. 113 third column -- under Marion Fairfax after: And our audiences are about 75 percent women you forgot to read the rest of her writing and moved on to Clara Beranger

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

soupy wrote: April 12th, 2021, 4:50 pm Thanks Wisehive55 :thumbs:

A view of what women thought of the picture industry by insiders in 1925.

Nicely read.

one error noted.

7:57 P. 113 third column -- under Marion Fairfax after: And our audiences are about 75 percent women you forgot to read the rest of her writing and moved on to Clara Beranger

Craig
Yikes! Thanks, Craig. I'll add the missing text and resubmit.

Amy
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi Craig,

The revised recording has been uploaded; it's now 32.44 minutes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf081_femininemindinpicturemaking_anonymous_ad_128.mp3

Thank you!

Amy
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Amy :D

PLOK :thumbs:

And that wraps up vol. 81 :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

Sue Anderson wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:41 am
ArthurTrinchera wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Sue, thank you for such an interactive response!!
Also, what a wonderful website you have! I perused it but haven't listened to anything yet.
Arthur
Arthur, Thank you for your kind words about my website, "Sue's Audio Books." Are you Arthur Trinchera, the musician? We can add a link to a LinkedIn profile or other non-commercial website to a LibriVox catalog page--a bit of free advertising.
That's me! You looked at Linked in? I didn't think of using that as a link. Would a personal website with services offered be considered non-commercial?
I don't have a site yet but want to set one up that would cover music performance, teaching and voiceover but I have zero experience except here even though I made a demo.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: April 13th, 2021, 12:01 pm
Sue Anderson wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:41 am
ArthurTrinchera wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Sue, thank you for such an interactive response!!
Also, what a wonderful website you have! I perused it but haven't listened to anything yet.
Arthur
Arthur, Thank you for your kind words about my website, "Sue's Audio Books." Are you Arthur Trinchera, the musician? We can add a link to a LinkedIn profile or other non-commercial website to a LibriVox catalog page--a bit of free advertising.
That's me! You looked at Linked in? I didn't think of using that as a link. Would a personal website with services offered be considered non-commercial?
I don't have a site yet but want to set one up that would cover music performance, teaching and voiceover but I have zero experience except here even though I made a demo.
Hi Arthur, Good luck with with your website plans and with your current efforts to promote your music! When I Googled your name, the LinkedIn profile was at the top of the list of what Google came up with. It seems to me that you are already doing a very good job promoting your music through social media! :)

LibriVox will list the URL for a LibriVoxer's personal website which promotes their narration or voice over work, or musical talents. What LibriVox will not accept is a commercial website representing multiple individuals, or any links to ebay, Etsy, or other sites selling merchandize, even if they are owned by the reader.