COMPLETE[PLAY]Bacchides by Plautus - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 31st, 2021, 5:50 amLydus Act 1 PL OK.
Act 1 of Bacchides ready for final PL.
thank you for PLing Lydus for me, Todd :)

And I just listened to this first act and it's a good start. The beginning is a bit messy with only bits and pieces of dialogue, but the story starts soon enough. And I know it will get better in the next acts.

A few PL notes this time...I think you forgot to upload the final file. :?

> at 1:07: the voice credit for Lydus has not been inserted yet, it's still the narrator
> at 1:37: the narrator's credit for Boy can be cut, it seems he didn't get a speaking role :hmm:
> at 1:50: same for Artamo, can get cut
> from 21:20 to 24:10: (p. 158-161): all the Lydus lines are still missing.

The rest is all perfectly assembled, so I only need to Spot PL the voice credits and the final scene, if you tell me you didn't change anything else in the correct file.

Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

DRAT DRAT DRAT. I can't believe I did not upload the final file for Act 1 before saying it was ready for PL.

It is there now.

I'd really like to tell you that I only added Lydus's voice credit and lines so it would just be a Spot PL, but I fear that I might have done more. I know I changed some gaps and volumes. Oh DRAT again.

I am now even more irretrievably in your debt. I will willingly assign myself without comment to be your henpecked and bedraggled husband in any 3 plays of your choice.

Sorry, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 31st, 2021, 6:45 amI'd really like to tell you that I only added Lydus's voice credit and lines so it would just be a Spot PL, but I fear that I might have done more. I know I changed some gaps and volumes. Oh DRAT again.
awww pity...ok I will relisten to it all again, but only tomorrow...for today it is enough LV, I need to get out in the sun a bit

Too bad Lydus only showed up in the final scene or I might have asked right away :?
I am now even more irretrievably in your debt. I will willingly assign myself without comment to be your henpecked and bedraggled husband in any 3 plays of your choice.
:lol: I'll see what comes up. You can be suitably henpecked and subdued in "A night out", it's a real treat. :mrgreen: Looking forward to hearing your part there.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Lydus Act 3 PL OK.

Acts 2 and 3 ready for final PL.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And also Acts 4 and 5 are ready.

Thank, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great, I listened to all 5 acts just now. 8-) A really great performance from the entire group, absolutely enjoyable to listen to.

I'll mark acts 1, 2, 3 and 5 already PL ok.

I only have a small note for Act 4, it's optional, but my feeling is that it would be a bit more clear with this small change:

> at 17:38: (p. 188) "Mnesilochus, writing" – maybe it would be clearer if you first let Chrysalus dictate what he should write: "But father.... (up to) ... "at your house at home." Then let Mnesilochus write it all and insert the narrator at 17:49, which will separate the dictation nicely from the next sentence, once the letter is finished "Do you give me the wax..."

other than that it's perfect, I let you decide whether you want to change it. :) Perfect job, as always, Todd :thumbs:

So cool that another Plautus is done and dusted.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great idea. I made the Act 4 fix as suggest; ready for Spot PL.

I love how Chrysalus in this act compares his getting the gold to the siege of Troy, with all the participants assigned to the various persons of the siege (he himself being both Agamemnon the Greek leader and Ulysses the strategist). Note that this play was written 1000 years after Troy, and yet was considered still well known enough to use it as explanation to the audience of what they have just seen!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 1st, 2021, 3:39 amGreat idea. I made the Act 4 fix as suggest; ready for Spot PL.

I love how Chrysalus in this act compares his getting the gold to the siege of Troy, with all the participants assigned to the various persons of the siege (he himself being both Agamemnon the Greek leader and Ulysses the strategist). Note that this play was written 1000 years after Troy, and yet was considered still well known enough to use it as explanation to the audience of what they have just seen!
yes I was thinking the same thing, especially now we are doing Racine's Agamemnon, it was quite fitting to hear it again here.

Now Spot PL ok and ready for the catalogue !!!!

Thank you all, see you in the next one

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/bacchides-or-the-twin-sisters-by-titus-maccius-plautus/

Thank you all for your wonderful voices, and to Kitty as DPL for listening to everything like a gazillion times.

Thanks, Todd