[Complete] Some Passages of the Life and Death of the Right Honourable John, Earl of Rochester-lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert
Posts: 505
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » February 11th, 2021, 2:06 am

Some Passages of the Life and Death of the Right Honourable John, Earl of Rochester, by Gilbert Burnet (1643 - 1715)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/some-passages-of-the-life-and-death-of-the-right-honourable-john-earl-of-rochester-by-gilbert-burnet/

I believe that the good Bishop of Salisbury's account of the last days of <a href="https://librivox.org/author/5330?primary_key=5330" rel="nofollow">poor young Rochester</a> would, if carefully read, make more impression on the mind of a fast young man (supposing him not utterly wanting in conscience and brains) than a hundred sermons from the pulpit would effect. <br><br>
Can anything, indeed, be sadder than that one so highly gifted with intellect, courage, and good looks as Wilmot Lord Rochester, should have left a name almost proverbial for all that is most dissipated and abandoned; and that a career which might have rivalled in the reign of Charles II. that of Philip Sydney in that of Elizabeth, should (owing probably not a little to the general license of the time) have terminated in early life by a disease brought on from drink and debauchery? It is in the hope that some of these persons, if they meet with and read this book, may have their eyes opened to the reckless folly of leading what is called 'a fast life’, that I have had these pages reprinted. <br><br>
If objection be taken by the over-refined to the almost medical details recorded by Bishop Burnet, I can only say that I do not expect his work to be placed in the hands of young ladies.
(Summary by Ronald Gower, Extracted from Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924028008765/page/n6/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2021-03-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:



BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Burnet (Gilbert Burnet)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Some Passages of the Life and Death of the Right Honourable John, Earl of Rochester. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Some Passages of the Life and Death of the Right Honourable John, Earl of Rochester, by Gilbert Burnet. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Some Passages of the Life and Death of the Right Honourable John, Earl of Rochester, by Gilbert Burnet. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Some Passages of the Life and Death of the Right Honourable John, Earl of Rochester, by Gilbert Burnet."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: passagesearlofrochester_##_burnet_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. passagesearlofrochester_01_burnet_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Lynnet - lt

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on February 14th, 2021, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 13th, 2021, 7:11 am

I will set this up for you

All set. I recommend shortening the file name 8-)
Let me know if you need anything else.
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

InTheDesert
Posts: 505
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » February 14th, 2021, 11:12 am

Lynnet wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 7:11 am
I will set this up for you

All set. I recommend shortening the file name 8-)
Let me know if you need anything else.
And it's all uploaded. I'll advertise for some PL.

Do you think it would be permissible for me to use a html link in the book summary to link to the guy about whom it was written? (https://librivox.org/author/5330)

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 14th, 2021, 12:48 pm

InTheDesert wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 11:12 am
Lynnet wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 7:11 am
I will set this up for you

All set. I recommend shortening the file name 8-)
Let me know if you need anything else.
And it's all uploaded. I'll advertise for some PL.

Do you think it would be permissible for me to use a html link in the book summary to link to the guy about whom it was written? (https://librivox.org/author/5330)
I just checked, and yes, it’s ok to link to the author database in the summary, but it has to be html
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10876
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » February 15th, 2021, 9:14 am

I have downloaded the files that need pl and will listen soon. Just letting you know in case anybody else begun working on this.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 15th, 2021, 9:31 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 9:14 am
I have downloaded the files that need pl and will listen soon. Just letting you know in case anybody else begun working on this.
As that comprises all the files, I have added Rapunzelina as DPL 8-)
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 15th, 2021, 9:33 am

Lynnet wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 12:48 pm
InTheDesert wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 11:12 am
Lynnet wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 7:11 am
I will set this up for you

All set. I recommend shortening the file name 8-)
Let me know if you need anything else.
And it's all uploaded. I'll advertise for some PL.

Do you think it would be permissible for me to use a html link in the book summary to link to the guy about whom it was written? (https://librivox.org/author/5330)
I just checked, and yes, it’s ok to link to the author database in the summary, but it has to be html
I see the coding in the summary looks wrong... not my area of expertise, so can you fix it, or do I need to ask someone else?
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

InTheDesert
Posts: 505
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » February 15th, 2021, 10:21 am

Lynnet wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 9:33 am
I see the coding in the summary looks wrong... not my area of expertise, so can you fix it, or do I need to ask someone else?
It looks fine to me if you're willing to take my word for it.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10876
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » February 15th, 2021, 10:22 am

It looks wrong because the forum doesn't support html coding, but it should look ok on the catalogue page.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10876
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » February 15th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Section 0: PL OK

Section 1:
4:01 repetition of "and what by a modest behaviour natural to him"

Section 2: PL OK

Section 3:
4:20 repetition of "and are on the one hand often great temptations to the good"
7:48-7:57 repetition of "yet we may [...] for him"

Section 4:
0:31 repetition of "and never consider"

Section 5: PL OK
Section 6: PL OK
Section 7: PL OK

Section 8:
3:43 repetition of "as I will look on it"
6:52 a paragraph missing from the recording, beginning "That this dear price should be paid".

Section 9: PL OK

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 15th, 2021, 4:29 pm

InTheDesert wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 10:21 am
Lynnet wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 9:33 am
I see the coding in the summary looks wrong... not my area of expertise, so can you fix it, or do I need to ask someone else?
It looks fine to me if you're willing to take my word for it.
:thumbs:
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 15th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Rapunzelina wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 10:22 am
It looks wrong because the forum doesn't support html coding, but it should look ok on the catalogue page.
:thumbs:
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

InTheDesert
Posts: 505
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » February 16th, 2021, 5:51 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 1:22 pm
Section 0: PL OK

Section 1:
4:01 repetition of "and what by a modest behaviour natural to him"

Section 2: PL OK

Section 3:
4:20 repetition of "and are on the one hand often great temptations to the good"
7:48-7:57 repetition of "yet we may [...] for him"

Section 4:
0:31 repetition of "and never consider"

Section 5: PL OK
Section 6: PL OK
Section 7: PL OK

Section 8:
3:43 repetition of "as I will look on it"
6:52 a paragraph missing from the recording, beginning "That this dear price should be paid".

Section 9: PL OK
Thanks for the PLing! All have been rectified I think and the timestamps have stayed the same so it should be easy enough to spot check!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10876
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » February 17th, 2021, 7:12 am

Yes, spot-checked OK! :thumbs:

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22811
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » February 17th, 2021, 7:59 am

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/some-passages-of-the-life-and-death-of-the-right-honourable-john-earl-of-rochester-by-gilbert-burnet/


Congratulations on completing one of the speediest projects :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
March to the Finish Line:
We're having a big push to complete projects. Please consider helping out before you start a new project!

March to the Finish Line

Post Reply