COMPLETE [SOLO] the blue ghost mystery by Harold Godwin - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

The blue ghost mystery a Rick brant science mystery by Harold L. Goodwin (1914 - 1990).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-blue-ghost-mystery-by-harold-l-goodwin/

Volunteers outside the USA: Harold Goodwin died in 1990. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
When the ghost of a Civil War soldier, killed visiting his sweetheart across enemy lines, comes back to haunt the Virginian locals at an old mine, Rick Brant and his ex-marine colleague Scotty decide to investigate. ( John Walker)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31589
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The blue ghost mystery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The blue ghost mystery a Rick brant science mystery by Harold L. Goodwin. Chapter [number, title]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number, title] of The blue ghost mystery by Harold L. Goodwin. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Say:
      "[Chapter number, title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The blue ghost mystery a Rick brant science mystery by Harold l. Goodwi, by Harold L. Goodwin. "
    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename blueghost_##_goodwin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. blueghost_01_goodwin_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
SarahJade03

Post by SarahJade03 »

I'd love to record this for you! I am, however, very new to this website. How would I submit the recordings and what kind of file would you like it in? Also, where can I find what I am supposed to read? Thank you!! :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The first poster is reading this as a Solo, projects that need readers are in the various "readers Wanted" forums. Your best way to start would be to follow the instructions in your welcome email, we know it is hard at first to find your way round - we were all new once :D. so there has been a lot of effort setting up the welcome email and really worthwhile, the test isn't an audition, it is just a "soundcheck" to make sure your file has the right settings for us to use and it also explains how to upload your file to us and tell us when you have.
Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

John,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up and be back with some further instructions.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.
Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

We won't worry about a DPL just yet - folks often see new projects and volunteer to listen before anything is posted. If no one sees this, we will advertise once you have a section or two ready to listen to.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Moving to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy.
MaryAnn
jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

Thank you so much, MaryAnn! I am sure I will have questions, but so far so good! Looking forward to this project!
jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hmmm. Something not right with your file name. You've got an extra ._ before mp3. Can you fix that and upload again?

When two files get uploaded with the same name, the uploader renames the first file and then saves the second file. So the link to the file name always points to the last file to be uploaded with that name.

MaryAnn
jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Now that you've got a couple of sections done, it might be a good time to post an advert for a DPL over on Listeners Wanted. Directions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

Please let me know if you have any questions.

MaryAnn
jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

I am completely at sea here. Can you give me some tips? I have tried to read through the various pages nd still have little to go on. Sorry, I just don't get it.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yeah, there's a lot going on there.

You go here to pick up the template: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

Copy the template and create a new thread in Listeners Wanted. Fill in the template, and then post it in Listeners Wanted.

I've done it for you here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=85607

An admin then comes along and locks it (so any interested PLers need to post here, and not there) and sticks it to the top of the board so folks can find it when they are looking for a project to help out on.

MaryAnn