COMPLETE - The Shepherd of Hermas by Hermas - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

Anything you can do would be fantastic. Covetousness is a bit of a tongue twister for me, but I made the substitutions. The audio at 28:14 matches the text, so I didn't change anything. But yes the wording is rather awkward there.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK.

I noticed that you aren't giving section numbers at the start, only titles. There seems to be two opinions on this question.

My own thinking about it would be that there are coherent works and there are collections (even though there is some cohering feature in a collection) and the difference between is shown by whether you read the title of the whole work each time or not. ie: in this case, the question is whether you view the different parts of "The Shepherd of Hermas" as one unified whole or something that you have brought together somewhat arbitrarily. When I did all the works of Pacian of Barcelona, I was viewing it as a coherent whole and so did the text I read from, so I gave it section numbers but for Tertullian, it was independent works (apart from the part 1/2 stuff) so no section numbers, just the title of the works.

This is, of course, philosophising with no higher authority than patterns I have noticed, so potentially Trica could swoop in and give an opinion. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is, of course, philosophising with no higher authority than patterns I have noticed, so potentially Trica could swoop in and give an opinion. :)
I'm full of opinions. :lol:

The very start of the intro is for the sight impaired, those who don't have a display on their listening device or cannot see the display for some reason. They can hear straight off which file it is and "page through" them by listening.

My general thought is that if a work is such that the sections should be listened to in order and/or the listener will be chagrined to listen out of order, then use numbers. On something like an assembled collection of essays or poems that can be listened to out of order with no loss to the reader, the titles are fine to use.

Another instance is when someone is still assembling their collection of works while reading. If you use the titles, you don't have to change the intros/outros when you discover another text you want to insert between already-recorded sections. :idea:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: February 15th, 2021, 6:48 am My general thought is that if a work is such that the sections should be listened to in order and/or the listener will be chagrined to listen out of order, then use numbers. On something like an assembled collection of essays or poems that can be listened to out of order with no loss to the reader, the titles are fine to use.
This is an excellent rule of thumb.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 7 PL Notes:
~38:14 Background noise
~58:29 Background noise
~59:45 Background noise
Ending: Missing "End of Shepherd of Hermas"

The background noises are optional fixes and are your choice whether they matter enough to you to redo.
ancientchristian

OK changes made.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I guess if you're looking for a DPL at this stage, I could step in...

Section 4: PL OK
Section 7: PL OK
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If I'm not mistaken, this is then ready for cataloging. I have to work today; I'll get to this in the afternoon. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Random, very picky question:

You have "Visions" for sections 1 and 3, but "Similitude" (singular) for the last 3 sections. Do you want that plural as well?
ancientchristian

Good point. I'll leave it up to you. Either way is fine by me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:p
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-shepherd-of-hermas-by-hermas/