COMPLETE - The Shepherd of Hermas by Hermas - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » January 29th, 2021, 7:33 pm

The Shepherd of Hermas by Hermas ( - 0). Translated by Charles Taylor (1840 - 1908)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-shepherd-of-hermas-by-hermas/
The Shepherd of Hermas, is a Christian work likely from the late first half of the second century. It was considered inspired scripture by some of the early Church fathers such as Irenaeus and Origen, but not Tertullian. The Shepherd was very popular amongst Christians in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, and is found in some Bibles after the Acts of the Apostles. The book is made up of five allegorical visions granted to Hermas, a former slave. This is followed by twelve mandates or commandments, and ten similitudes, or parables. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/shepherdhermas01taylgoog/page/n8/mode/2up ; https://archive.org/details/shepherdhermas02taylgoog/page/n15/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Shepherd of Hermas. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Shepherd of Hermas, by Hermas. Translated by Charles Taylor [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Shepherd of Hermas by Hermas. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Shepherd of Hermas, by Hermas. Translated by Charles Taylor"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename shepherdofhermas_##_hermas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. shepherdofhermas_01_hermas_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ancientchristian on February 1st, 2021, 7:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » January 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

My plan is to skip the introduction and jump right into the book. Hopefully that's OK.

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » January 29th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Just so you know, it's already in the catalogue, though that's no reason not to do it.

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » January 30th, 2021, 8:34 am

InTheDesert wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 7:54 pm
Just so you know, it's already in the catalogue, though that's no reason not to do it.
There used to be a Librivox audiobook of the Lightfoot translation of this book, but when I searched for it again, I couldn't find it. I didn't even notice this one.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 31st, 2021, 2:19 pm

Hey, I just noticed you're in TO. Howdy, neighbour! 8-) I'm in Durham Region.

Are you still planning on doing this? I can't tell from your last post, although you didn't come right out and say, "Well, never mind then." :)

Did C. T. Hermas write this, or is he an editor? Translator? I assume he's not the author if it was originally written way back when. :hmm:

Yes, it's OK to skip the intro.
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » January 31st, 2021, 3:12 pm

You're from Toronto... happy stay-at-home lockdown to you... it's great for getting recording work done.

Yeah sorry, it wasn't terribly clear about if I wanted to continue, but yes I would like to give it a shot. Charles Talyor is the translator. I'll try to tidy that up.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 31st, 2021, 3:34 pm

OK, looks good. It's set up. :)
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » February 1st, 2021, 7:08 am

Tricia, these volumes are a little shorter than I thought, so I added in Volume 2. Hopefully, that's OK.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 1st, 2021, 7:35 am

Yes, that's fine. You can add sections in the Magic Window and assign them to yourself. 8-)

Moving this to Going Solo...

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » February 5th, 2021, 7:49 am

I uploaded the final section of volume 2. Shall I post an ad for a listener?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 5th, 2021, 8:00 am

Well, that was quick!

Yes, best to post an ad. :)

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » February 5th, 2021, 10:31 am

Toronto efficiency in action ... OK not really ... anyway ad posted. ...

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » February 11th, 2021, 6:38 am

Sections 1-3 are PL OK.

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » February 11th, 2021, 10:07 am

InTheDesert, thank you for picking this one up. Much appreciated.

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » February 12th, 2021, 6:17 am

I don't think I can DPL it but I'll what I can.

Section 4 PL Notes:
~21:21 & 26:30 You said something like "coveredness" for covetousness (3 syllables instead of 4) but you did it both times so it might just be a pronunciation thing. Your'e free to change it or leave it depending on what you prefer.
~28:14 You said "despite" and there was no word after it like you might have skipped a word. Just check it against the text un case it wasn't what you meant.