COMPLETE - SOLO: The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart (1876 - 1958).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-red-lamp-by-mary-roberts-rinehart/

William A. Porter, professor of English, inherits a large seaside house from his Uncle Horace. He is not fully satisfied with the explanation of his uncle's death. He moves to the lodge for the following summer with his wife and niece, and rents out the main house. Mysterious and sinister things begin to happen at night in the neighborhood. Local superstitions center around a red lamp in the house which some believe exerts a baleful influence. The professor must try to find out what is going on without himself becoming the center of suspicion. ( Zach Hoyt)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015030710050&view=1up&seq=7
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ========
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Red Lamp. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Red Lamp, by Mary Roberts Rinehart. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Red Lamp, by Mary Roberts Rinehart. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename redlamp_##_rinehart_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. redlamp_01_rinehart_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
zachh

Post by zachh »

This is a bit of an odd book structurally. 20 sections is a guess, as I understand that I can add or remove sections if needed before cataloging. The book has an introduction which is pretty short, but I think I should read it on its own. Then there are well over 200 pages of fictitious journal entries by the professor. A lot of these are 2-4 pages but some are longer or shorter. At the end of the book there is a section titled Conclusion with four chapters, numbered 1 to 4. My thought is to just record a reasonably sized chunk of the journal at a time, maybe around 20 minutes, and to title those sections with the date range they cover.

It seems to me that it may be confusing to a listener if near the end of the book they suddenly hear Chapter 1 at the beginning of Section 15 or something. Could I say, 'Section 15, Conclusion, Chapter 1' and so on? I am thinking that if I say conclusion before each chapter number that might help people to not worry that they are in the wrong part of the book. I am happy to do whatever I am advised about all of this, the foregoing are just my random ideas and I am very inexperienced in the LibriVox world.

I have a physical copy from 1925 from which I plan to do the actual reading, though I linked to the HathiTrust book above. I am not sure where I need to send pictures of the title and copyright pages, or if I can upload them to this forum somehow. If anyone can enlighten me I will get the pictures sent or posted promptly. I hope I haven't done anything while filling in the template that will make it harder for the MC. I am still learning the things to do and to not do.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Zach,

Oh, more MRR! I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

You can upload a pic of the title page to my folder. I think you have to put it in a zip file.

MaryAnn

Edit - OK, you are set. Your plan for handing the section intros sounds good. You can add sections. If you have more than you need, let me know and I'll delete the extra.
zachh

Post by zachh »

MaryAnn, thank you very much for MCing this for me. I didn't realize that I could only add chapters and would have to ask you to delete them if there are extras. I haven't ever made a zip file before but it seemed very easy (maybe too easy, I hope I did it right). If it doesn't work please let me know and I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you for your help and advice.
Zach

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/Archive.zip
zachh

Post by zachh »

I recorded the introduction today. I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to sign up to be the DPL for this book, or to PL this section. I just realized that I should have probably numbered it as Section 00, but I'm not sure. If so I can re-upload it with the correct number.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/redlamp_01_rinehart_128kb.mp3 8:25
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

zachh wrote: January 29th, 2021, 8:26 pm MaryAnn, thank you very much for MCing this for me. I didn't realize that I could only add chapters and would have to ask you to delete them if there are extras. I haven't ever made a zip file before but it seemed very easy (maybe too easy, I hope I did it right). If it doesn't work please let me know and I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you for your help and advice.
Zach

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/Archive.zip
Thank you. Copyright checked from scans and confirmed PD.

Yes, the intro should have 00 in the file number, unless you are calling it "part 1". When I read an intro, I generally introduce it as "Introduction" or "Preface" rather than say section /part ##.

You can post an advert for a DPL in the Listeners Wanted forum. Instructions are here: http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

MaryAnn
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you for confirming the PD, that is great to know. I have been thinking about the introduction and am becoming increasingly unsure how it should be categorized. I checked the introduction box on the template without thinking, because that is what it is called in the book. On the other hand, it's a fictional introduction by the fictional author of the fictional journal that makes up the bulk of the book, so I am wondering if I should just move it to section 1 since it's really an integral part of the overall narrative, and not so much an introduction to the work in the customary sense. I will be very grateful if you would advise me what I should do in this situation. I will put up a topic in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum. Thank you very much for all of your help.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

There's really no right way to do it, and since you are the BC, it's your decision. Since you asked, if it was my project, I think I would start with the intro in section 1.

I'll need to flip a switch behind the scenes to renumber the sections in the MW starting with 1 vs 0. Just let me know if you'd like me to do that.
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much for your advice and help. I've been thinking about it more today and it seems like having the introduction be section 1 would eliminate the risk of a listener deciding to skip the introduction and being confused by dropping right into the journal part of the book. If it's not too hard to flip the switch you mentioned that would be very kind of you, or if it would be easier for you I can move the information in the MW to the Section 1 line and leave 0 empty to be deleted later. I'm sorry to have caused you extra work. I should have thought about all this before I filled out the template.
HeatherLaura22

Post by HeatherLaura22 »

This is my first time doing PL. Let me know if I need to do anything else.

I listened to Section 1 the introduction and everything was good.
Intro statement was correct
Outro was correct
No long pauses
No background sounds
No repeats
5 seconds at the end of the file (it was exactly 5 seconds on the counter so it might have been closer 4, so maybe a tiny bit longer?)

~Heather
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Heather. That's perfect!

Are you interested in listening to the rest of the book for Zach as our Dedicated Proof Listener?

MaryAnn
HeatherLaura22

Post by HeatherLaura22 »

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad I could help.

I don't think I'm in a position to commit to a whole project.

~Heather
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, thank you Heather. We appreciate your stepping in to do what you can!
MaryAnn
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you Heather for PLing section 1, and thank you MaryAnn for fixing my mistake and removing section 0. I'm planning to record a couple of sections each Sunday since that's my day off.
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

I love Mary Roberts Rinehart books, and I'm confused as to why her works are not all available on Librivox. Is it because of copyrights? If anyone ever starts another project with her books, please count me in!