COMPLETE - SOLO: The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Zach - Section 6 needs no editing. I love your voice for Mr. Bethel! And I'm very impressed with your Latin :)
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Section 7 is perfect. Keep'em coming!
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Actually, I just realized that I hadn't been running your recordings through the Checker app (because they all sound fine to me). Section 6 has a level of over 41 for background noise. The optimum level (I'm told) is 24. Can you run it through the noise reduction feature, please?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jean,

FYI -- I'm not sure there is an optimal level for background noise -- it's better to listen to the file in a quiet place and see if you notice anything rather than rely on a checker measurement.

MaryAnn
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

MaryAnn - that’s good to know. I was told that on a different project I was working on. This sounded absolutely fine to me when I listened to it with headphones. So I should go ahead and mark it PL ok?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well, different people have different ideas on background noise ... but when we are coaching folks to check the one minute tests, the admins try to emphasize listening over relying solely on the noise reading through checker because sometimes it returns noise when there is none, and sometimes it returns a low reading but the file has something that needs to be cleaned out (like a high pitched whine). And listening with headphones will give you a better sense than relying on your computer speakers ...

So, yes, if it sounded fine when you listened, then mark it OK.

MaryAnn
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you both very much for your help. I use Checker to run my files through to check the volume, but I didn't know it checks for background noise too. I'll have to look into that and learn how to use it. I always run Noise Reduction once in Audacity on each file after editing, and occasionally twice if I am recording on a windy day or the heating system is unusually loud or something.

Usually I record on Sundays but today I had to collect sap in the morning and do computer stuff that I had fallen behind on for work in the afternoon, so I didn't do anything. I'm hoping to get a section done during the week. One of my favorite things about Latin is that it is a dead language, so (according to my understanding) I don't have to worry about pronouncing it correctly since nobody knows what it really sounded like anyway.
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Zach - for future reference:

To reduce background noise
1) highlight the last 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording
2) Go to Effect>Set Noise Reduction
3) Choose "Get Noise Profile"
4) Now highlight your entire recording
4) Go to Effect>Noise Reduction again
5) Click "OK"

The settings for that window should be
Noise Reduction 12
Sensitivity 6
Frequency Smoothing 0
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Zach - Sorry! I just read your message again, and realized that you said that you already know how to apply Noise Reduction. In that case, all you need to do in the Checker app is to click on the tab that says "Information." That will give you your volume level and background noise.
zachh

Post by zachh »

zachh

Post by zachh »

Sections 10 and 11 are ready for PL
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Zach - sections 8 and 9 are perfect :)
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much for proof listening, I really appreciate it. Sections 12 and 13 are ready for PL.
zachh

Post by zachh »

Section 14 is ready for PL
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

I'm happy to do it. You're exposing me to new experiences. And I love the book. Sorry I'm behind in listening. I'll catch up. I promise I didn't abandon you :)