[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 06 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChristopherAllen wrote: January 30th, 2021, 7:09 amI have posted my url for the recording... i will keep an eye out on my notifications. I am still unsure of the full process but i have made the 1 minute test and posted it. if you want it here to... https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/test_christopherallen.mp3

I am fine with going by Christopher Allen.
If there is anything else that i need to do on my end just let me know. I am super excited to get started!
I replied in the test thread to get you cleared as fast as possible 8-) excitement is cool. Only a small volume change and then you're ready to roll !!! I'll be on the lookout for it so you can start recording tonight :thumbs:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Of course! I kept looking at the example, which has two digits. Sorry. :roll:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 8:50 am Of course! I kept looking at the example, which has two digits. Sorry. :roll:
:shock: yikes ! you're right, MEA CULPA :oops: I changed it now. This has to be manually changed and I forgot it on that spot. Sorrrryyyy

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChristopherAllen wrote: January 30th, 2021, 7:09 amI am fine with going by Christopher Allen.
excellent, now your test is OK, here is your official reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/15694 where your projects will be listed.

So now you are ready to record. Please read the details for filenaming, intro/outro and title reading in the first post.

Have fun ! I'll be looking forward to hearing the story. :9:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Ok. But I still should have known better because I know how it works. Or at the least, I should have asked. But all is good. :D
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

Here's a basic question:
After reading the standard Intro, do we read the title and subtitle, or just subtitle, or just jump in to the section?
For specific example, my section 5, the poem Pray For Me has a subtitle "By Millevove, on his deathbed at Neuilly". Do I read that? Or just immediately to "Silent, remote, this hamlet..."?
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

I'm also wondering:

As I 'export' my file to save it, Audacity has a popup window that asks me to input about seven tags like Artist Name, Track Name, etc.
Since the instructions specify, when instructing how to save the file, "Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage," does that suggest to me that I should fill in the other tags besides those two? Or that I should ignore that whole window of tag options?
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

Section 7 (To Beauty) File uploaded (01:30)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_7_various_128kb.mp3

:clap: Yay! This is fun!
I'll wait for your input before I finish the others.
Thank you!
so mote it be
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

to reply to your questions:
CassiopeiaSparks wrote:Here's a basic question:
After reading the standard Intro, do we read the title and subtitle, or just subtitle, or just jump in to the section?
For specific example, my section 5, the poem Pray For Me has a subtitle "By Millevove, on his deathbed at Neuilly". Do I read that? Or just immediately to "Silent, remote, this hamlet..."?
no please read the entire title as I wrote it up in the Magic Window (I made a mention of that in my first post at the intro example "see MW" = Magic Window), so yes, also the subtitle, in fact it's not a subtitle but the author credit, and he is called "Millevoye" with a 'y' at the end, the scan is a bit bad.
As I 'export' my file to save it, Audacity has a popup window that asks me to input about seven tags like Artist Name, Track Name, etc.
Since the instructions specify, when instructing how to save the file, "Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage," does that suggest to me that I should fill in the other tags besides those two? Or that I should ignore that whole window of tag options?
yes the tags are automatically filled in later on in cataloguing, so don't add anything in the tags at all.

And thank you for your first section. I am not sure I can PL today still, but will give you feedback at the latest tomorrow !!

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:40 am Section 7 (To Beauty) File uploaded (01:30)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_7_various_128kb.mp3
:clap: Yay! This is fun!
I'll wait for your input before I finish the others.
ok since it was such a short poem and I know you are eagerly awaiting feedback, I gave this a priority. I am sure, Jim won't mind that PL yours before his this time :)

So...for your reading, it was wonderfully narrated, very sensitive and you have a knack for poetry. :9: I really loved listening to it. No errors in intro/outro :thumbs: textually everything perfect, and I can mark it PL ok. Congrats on your first section and hopefully many more to come. :)

Since you wanted constructive feedback, I would like to check out your noise cleaning though. Are you using Audacity ? How did you noise-clean your file ? Because the silences are quite clear of background noise, but while you are speaking there is some rustling which does mar the whole listening experience a bit. Not too muchh so one couldn't understand, but we are still at the beginning, so maybe we can try to find out the source of the error right away and your future files will be noise-free. Please let me know a step-by-step what you did while editing / noise-cleaning. And if you still have the "raw unedited" file, would you mind uploading it to my folder as test so I could look for myself what can be done against the noise. You have such a nice voice and diction, it would be optimal if we could enhance the pleasure by making the file cleaner.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and as promised, the new Rover is launched: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85345

Sonia
CassiopeiaSparks

ok since it was such a short poem and I know you are eagerly awaiting feedback, I gave this a priority. I am sure, Jim won't mind that PL yours before his this time :)
Thank you! (Sorry Jim!) I know you must squeeze this into a busy schedule, and I don't mean to weasel my way into the front of the line. But I am excited, and I do appreciate it.
Since you wanted constructive feedback, I would like to check out your noise cleaning though. Are you using Audacity ? How did you noise-clean your file ? Because the silences are quite clear of background noise, but while you are speaking there is some rustling which does mar the whole listening experience a bit. Not too muchh so one couldn't understand, but we are still at the beginning, so maybe we can try to find out the source of the error right away and your future files will be noise-free. Please let me know a step-by-step what you did while editing / noise-cleaning. And if you still have the "raw unedited" file, would you mind uploading it to my folder as test so I could look for myself what can be done against the noise. You have such a nice voice and diction, it would be optimal if we could enhance the pleasure by making the file cleaner.
I am all on board with figuring out how to improve right off the bat. There is a learning curve here, as I haven't used recording software before, but I'm a quick study, I promise. Are you willing and able to give some guidance? I try to read all the instruction pages, but a lot of it doesn't make sense until I encounter it directly.

I'm trying to figure out the Audacity system for saving Project files vs MP3 files vs tracks. I didn't save a "raw unedited" file, but I can do that in future, or even re-record and go from there.
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

I use Audacity to record, on my Windows 10 desktop, via a USB Corsair headset mic which unfortunately seems to have a factory defect that picks up sound very clearly yet VERY quiet, so I used the MP3Gain app to amplify my reading to an acceptable dB level. I have seen the Librivox recommendations to amplify via the Effect>Amplify... tab option within Audacity, but that doesn't seem to want to let me amplify it so far. It just greys out the OK button if I try to adjust the numbers or sliding scale.

So, step-by-step, my procedure so far has been to open a new track (should I be opening a new Project for every Section? I thought at first the Projects were more of a Folder, but now I think I'm wrong), record the Intro, Section, and Ending, (is this where I should be doing Save lossless copy of Project?) and start on the editing:
I select the whole track, go to Effect>Amplify>Manage>Factory Presets>Defaults, then OK. This bumps my volume to nearly-sufficient dB levels.
From there, I select the last five seconds of silence, go to Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile, then select the whole track and return to Effect>Noise Reduction: it sets the factors automatically at Noise reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6.00, Frequency smoothing: 3, and Noise: Reduce is selected. I leave those settings as they are, and hit OK.
Then I check for lip smacks or other obnoxious noises I can identify and cut out, before Exporting the file as MP3.
I open MP3Gain and upload the MP3 file in there, hit Track Analysis to amplify the volume to the last bit of parameters, and Track Gain to save the changes to the file. Then I open the File folder and double-check the MP3 file in Checker, before uploading.

I'll upload a Raw recording as a test, though. It would be good to find out now, if there is a better way to amplify and clean, or if my recordings are going to be fuzzy for as long as I use this headset.
so mote it be
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'm trying to figure out the Audacity system for saving Project files vs MP3 files vs tracks. I didn't save a "raw unedited" file, but I can do that in future, or even re-record and go from there.
yes let's do a test run then. How about you record the next short poem and only edit out your errors, but don't amplify or noise clean at all. Then export to mp3 and send this to my folder, calling it rovertest or sth. And I'll have a look what your original is and what we can do with it.

For the noise, you can already check that you are in the quietest part of the house and that windows are closed against traffic and no running fan or fridge nearby. :wink: because finding the source of the noise may be helpful too.

Ok need to sleep now, but I didn't want to let you wait another day, seeing that we are obviously in a different timezone.

We'll figure it out, no worries. I am not giving up if you are not.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I will reply to your second post tomorrow, need to go more into detail there.

Sonia