[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 06 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

yes let's do a test run then. How about you record the next short poem and only edit out your errors, but don't amplify or noise clean at all. Then export to mp3 and send this to my folder, calling it rovertest or sth. And I'll have a look what your originalmis and what we can do with it.
Well, I did record section 8 and sent it to you under CS_raw_test, before I read your response here. Without amplifying the volume, I can't hear it well enough to edit out errors :? It really is the strangest thing. My headset is clearly picking up the sound quite well, but it registers it as SOOO quiet.
Ok need to sleep now, but I didn't want to let you wait another day, seeing that we are obviously in a different timezone.

We'll figure it out, no worries. I am not giving up if you are not.

Sonia
:P Do sleep!! Self-care is vital. My schedule is quite sporadic right now, so I can check on this at almost any hour. And I am just getting started, no "giving up" here!! :thumbs:
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

You know what, I just realized that my computer itself has a very fine microphone built in, which picks up the volume sufficiently, so no headset necessary, and now I have another version of adjusting to learn. :roll: On the plus side, I also found the linked page (down the rabbit hole of Recording for Newbies) that gives starting settings for the Noise Reduction sliders, and an explanation of what they do. :oops: I feel very silly to put you through tutoring me. :bow:
I am also beginning to see where the sound can start distorting in strange ways if I don't know where to stop editing and nitpicking on my own recording. Things like breathing sounds, lip smacks, rustles, strong fricatives, variations on tone and volume... Yikes. Eventually I'll learn how to leave these out of the reading in the first place. But what are the "oops" you consider definitely worth clipping out, and are there any that you find less important, or even possibly add to the reading (do sighs ever enhance the storytelling, for example?)
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
so mote it be
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Well, I did record section 8 and sent it to you under CS_raw_test, before I read your response here. Without amplifying the volume, I can't hear it well enough to edit out errors :? It really is the strangest thing. My headset is clearly picking up the sound quite well, but it registers it as SOOO quiet.
:shock: 59 dB !!! I've never encountered such a low volume before.

Please check the microphone input icon on top of your Audacity waves window. Is it all the way up to the + sign ? If not, do that, it may boost your volume from the start.
I use Audacity to record, on my Windows 10 desktop, via a USB Corsair headset mic which unfortunately seems to have a factory defect that picks up sound very clearly yet VERY quiet, so I used the MP3Gain app to amplify my reading to an acceptable dB level.
Aha ! Windows 10 is most probably the reason for the low volume. I heard the sound for Audacity is very low with the new upgrade. That's one of the main reasons why I still refuse to upgrade to it :lol: I am not sure if anybody found a solution to it, but lots of people complained about it after the upgrade.

So first I amplified your file with 30 dB to get to 89 dB. Of course the noise was amplified as well in the process. But I did the normal reduction, taking a sample at the end (like you correctly do), and run the cleaning. The result after only one round of cleaning is good in my opinion. I don't hear the rustling noise anymore, do you ? https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/raw_test2.mp3 I am on a different computer today today though, so maybe that explains the difference in sound, but for me it's ok.
You know what, I just realized that my computer itself has a very fine microphone built in, which picks up the volume sufficiently, so no headset necessary
my own in-built microphone is not of a very good quality, but maybe yours is better. You can always try. But make sure there is no "noise cancelling" box ticked, because that makes the sound very tinny.
I am also beginning to see where the sound can start distorting in strange ways if I don't know where to stop editing and nitpicking on my own recording.
yes too agressive noise cleaning can distort the sound. Your settings in Audacity are quite ok I would say.
Things like breathing sounds, lip smacks, rustles, strong fricatives, variations on tone and volume... Yikes. Eventually I'll learn how to leave these out of the reading in the first place.
at least a good hint to get the plosives our of your recording is putting the microphone a bit to the side of your face/mouth, because then you don't "blow into it", but the air passes alongside it. Other than that, it's practice. For me it helped a lot watching the audacity waves appear while I read, I can immediately see spikes when I am too loud or there is a plosive. Soon you will notice a pattern, what looks how :lol: If this occurs, just let the recording run on, and redo the sentence with less loud voice for example. Later you can cut out all the "rubbish". My raw recordings are always some 30% longer than the final version where everything is cleaned out.
I have seen the Librivox recommendations to amplify via the Effect>Amplify... tab option within Audacity, but that doesn't seem to want to let me amplify it so far. It just greys out the OK button if I try to adjust the numbers or sliding scale.
that is because you don't have the box ticked "allow clipping". But it's recommended not to tick it, because distortion may occur if the clipping happens too often. Most likely though it's only because of a few peaks/spikes, where you spoke louder, maybe the first letter of a word only. If you see those spikes, you can zoom in and manually decrease them, so the waves all look a bit more uniformly. Then you can amplify it all in effects without clipping. I only ever use that function to amplify. But I am quite good at keeping my voice level by now even when I speak excitedly, it comes with practice and watching the waves appear.
But what are the "oops" you consider definitely worth clipping out, and are there any that you find less important, or even possibly add to the reading (do sighs ever enhance the storytelling, for example?)
sighs and such special effects are more done in our drama projects where we can act out as much as we want (I love it there, you should try it). In "normal" books we usually try to keep it to a minimum as we should only "read what the author wrote". That said, many readers (including me) love to read in character, especially the dialogues, so the occasional sigh my creep in. But tastes vary, what one person loves another person will hate. In the end you cannot please them all, so read the way you like your text, that's the best advice.
So, step-by-step, my procedure so far has been to open a new track (should I be opening a new Project for every Section? I thought at first the Projects were more of a Folder, but now I think I'm wrong)
oh definitely I would recommend having a special file and folder for every project. I create neat folders for each of my projects and then save my audacity files in the correct ones, so I always find back everything. For example, if I record 3 sections in the rover, I will have a folder with 3 separate files then. One for each section.
record the Intro, Section, and Ending, (is this where I should be doing Save lossless copy of Project?)
I save regularly, because I fear that I may lose the work if the computer crashes in mid-recording :? I don't know about lossless. I always save the audacity wav files and when I have edited it all I export it to mp3 and send this. Once the project is catalogued, I delete the wav.files, because they take up a lot of space.
I select the whole track, go to Effect>Amplify>Manage>Factory Presets>Defaults, then OK. This bumps my volume to nearly-sufficient dB levels.
there is a plug-in for audacity that calculates the volume you need to amplify with:

The easiest way is to install an extra plugin in Audacity that will tell you by how much the recording needs to be amplified to reach the desired volume of 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

From there, I select the last five seconds of silence, go to Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile, then select the whole track and return to Effect>Noise Reduction: it sets the factors automatically at Noise reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6.00, Frequency smoothing: 3, and Noise: Reduce is selected. I leave those settings as they are, and hit OK.
this is correct. I have Frequency smoothing 0 but yours doesn't distort as far as I can tell, so it's ok
I open MP3Gain and upload the MP3 file in there, hit Track Analysis to amplify the volume to the last bit of parameters, and Track Gain to save the changes to the file. Then I open the File folder and double-check the MP3 file in Checker, before uploading.
ah I don't use mp3gain so I cannot comment on that one. I always use replaygain straight in audacity before I export

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 12:09 pmHere is Section 2--intriguing!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_02_various_128kb.mp3
so now you have waited long enough for feedback, Jim, my apologies, but the weekend was very busy and your section was quite long ;)

But it was a great story !!! Now one can wonder, is the comet only superstition or was there something to the prophecies :hmm: An intriguing story and well written (and well narrated).

I have only two small corrections to note down. I know you want feedback on correct pronunciations, so here is a small crash-course in German :lol:

> at 10:42: (p. 85) stumble and repeat "de – der Teufel" – "de" can be cut. Also if you wish to pronounce "the devil" correctly in German, the "eu" is pronounced like the English "oi" in "soil", "toy" etc. so a bit like if written "toyfel" in English

> at 15:02: (p. 85) "success to "Der Teufel" – same here, if you wish to correct the pronunciation, which is optional of course

> yes and since you reupload anyway, you could also correct the filename (only one digit)

thanks

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 2 with the devil's blessing :lol: :

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_2_various_128kb.mp3

42:37

Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 7:26 am Here is Section 2 with the devil's blessing :lol: :
you still seem to have uploaded with "02" but no matter, the pronunciation is excellent now :thumbs: and PL ok. No need to reupload, I'll delete the number 0 from the file.

Thanks !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

It is appearing on my screen as just 2. But I will try again.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 8:24 amIt is appearing on my screen as just 2. But I will try again.
yes now it's correct. But you did not have to reupload, I could have quickly corrected it in the evening. But thanks, now all is good :)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I was right there, so it was no problem. Thanks for all! Jim :D
CassiopeiaSparks

Here's Section8 (1:42) To a Star

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_8_various_128kb.mp3

Let's see if that's any better. The Analyze plugin is a handy tool.
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

Last edited by CassiopeiaSparks on February 4th, 2021, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

And... Section 3: Independence (23:00) 8-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_3_various_128kb.mp3

wheww :!: The longer recordings do have a lot more room to trip over myself in editing. I hope I didn't make it too glitchy. In fact, I uploaded it twice because I wasn't 100% sure I gave you the right saved file, so hopefully that doesn't mess you up. (It should be 23 minutes, not 25)

Thank you for Proof Listening, giving feedback, and everything! :D
so mote it be
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote:Here's Section8 (1:42) To a Star
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_8_various_128kb.mp3
Let's see if that's any better. The Analyze plugin is a handy tool.
oh yes it is, I use it for all my sections 8-)
wonderful interpretations of both poems, I really enjoyed listening to them. :9: Now I am curious to hear how you're doing with prose :mrgreen:

I do have a couple of corrections to add for both sections though. As before, no need to re-record it all, just re-record the one faulty line and make the background noise and volume fit the rest of the original poem. The more you practice editing, the better you become and in the long run it does save a lot of time, especially in longer texts.

for Section 5:

> at 1:36: (p. 95) "tell her my life should have been hers" – you say "here" which changes the meaning slightly and also destroys the rhyme with "villagers" two lines later. Since this is a poem, I think it would benefit from correcting

> careful with the end silence. We only require a standard of 5 seconds, you are nearing 6. I wouldn't have been picky about it if it was otherwise flawless, but careful not to make them run even longer in future recordings

for Section 8:

> at 0:34: (p. 96) "deep silent orisons are gladly poured" – you make it sound like "horizons" (without the 'h') which could lead to misunderstanding. This word is stressed on the first syllable and should rhyme on the name "Morrison", see here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orison#English

> at the end you again have 6 seconds of silence instead of 5

thank you, and I will listen to your short story soon

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: February 4th, 2021, 2:33 am And... Section 3: Independence (23:00) 8-)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0106_3_various_128kb.mp3

wheww :!: The longer recordings do have a lot more room to trip over myself in editing. I hope I didn't make it too glitchy. In fact, I uploaded it twice because I wasn't 100% sure I gave you the right saved file, so hopefully that doesn't mess you up. (It should be 23 minutes, not 25)
actually it's 23:17 min. exactly. We update the MW with the exact length of the recording, to check if all is uploaded correctly.

And yes, longer prose sections are more challenging than poems for sure. And the editing takes much longer too ;)

But WOW this story was hilarious and you enhanced the pleasure by reading so funnily in character. The Irish accent was brilliantly emulated. :mrgreen: I really really enjoyed this story and it had me giggle more than once. :lol: And you made a flawless run-through with the entire text. :thumbs:

But then...(sorry :oops: ) the end silence is exceeding 7 seconds here, could you trim it down to standard 5 and reupload ? Nothing else to correct this time.

Thank you !!!! Wonderful readings all, and the noise level is much better now, you see to really have gotten the hang of it now :thumbs: I do hope to hear you in many more of the projects I'm DPL to (maybe even some future Rovers...)

Sonia
CassiopeiaSparks

Oh I'm so glad (delighted and relieved) that they worked! Especially the accent; it was worth challenging myself, but I was nervous about it.

I'll make those changes and resubmit. It's good to know that (and why) the timing precision is so important, both for the ending silence and the declaration of length at upload. I'll keep a closer eye on it in future.
> at 0:34: (p. 96) "deep silent orisons are gladly poured" – you make it sound like "horizons" (without the 'h') which could lead to misunderstanding. This word is stressed on the first syllable and should rhyme on the name "Morrison", see here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orison#English
This is good to know! I absolutely was assuming they were saying "horizons" in an old-timey british-spelling sort of way. It makes sense, knowing the latin root of 'prayer', but I wasn't familiar with orison as an english word. Very cool.
so mote it be