Post by ToddHW »

Here is Section 4. No boats.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0201oct1896_4_various_128kb.mp3

Length 20:40.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I was puzzled that the length is now shorter than the previous recording even though you should have added the second intro part. :hmm: I see there was a misunderstanding, sorry that I didn't explain more precisely. Now you are missing the first part of the intro. In the first post you see the entire wording that should have been used. This is actually what it should run up to:

Section 1 of The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 1 October 1896.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
Recording by John Walker, Kent, CT
The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 1 October 1896. Section 1: The House that Jack built, by Harold Donovan Hilton

In the first recording you missed the second part which you included in the second recording but there you deleted the first part. We need both.

Sorry for the confusion :? One last reupload and then we're good I'm sure.

Oh and a small formal detail: you have 2 seconds of silence at the beginning before you start the intro...we recommend 0.5-1 second maximum, otherwise it feels a bit long for a listener to wait for the section to start.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:02 pmHere is Section 4. No boats.
:shock: what a highlight at the end !! Now they had guts to pull this through. I must admit the whole economical angle on how banks operate was eluding me a bit throughout the story. So what I got is they didn't have enough cash and all the people somehow wanted to withdraw their money at the same day ? :hmm: That would mean bankruptcy unless they get more cash. Hence the ruse at the end. Why the people then all of a sudden didn't want their money anymore, is a mystery to me.

In any case, it was excellently narrated. I would see you in the role of Ogden if ever it was done as a stage play. :lol:

PL ok, thanks !

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

Here is Section 6:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0201oct1896_6_various_128kb.mp3

Run time is 13:54

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 5th, 2021, 1:54 am
ToddHW wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:02 pmHere is Section 4. No boats.
:shock: what a highlight at the end !! Now they had guts to pull this through. I must admit the whole economical angle on how banks operate was eluding me a bit throughout the story. So what I got is they didn't have enough cash and all the people somehow wanted to withdraw their money at the same day ? :hmm: That would mean bankruptcy unless they get more cash. Hence the ruse at the end. Why the people then all of a sudden didn't want their money anymore, is a mystery to me.
[]
Sonia
Yes, you have it correct, that is exactly what a run on a bank is. In the George Bailey movie version, he uses all the money he had saved for his world travels to pay out the withdrawals at his family's bank - no masquerading poker chips involved.

Thanks, Todd
jwalker2353

Post by jwalker2353 »

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Sonia - did I miss a new issue of the Black Cat? How will I know when you're ready for a new one? Once the last one was finished, then I don't know how I would be notified if there is a new one.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aww, what a sad story, but beautifully, nearly poetically written. And you narrated it with feeling, I loved it very much. Thank you, Greg, a wonderful final section for this project. :)

PL ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you again :) I can mark the section PL ok now.

However, two small notes for further recordings.

> please always state the length of a file when you post the link. That way we can update the MW and see whether all was correctly uploaded.

> I noticed that your first file was half a minute longer than this one, even though you had included a longer intro in the second one. This led me to suspect that you re-recorded the entire section from scratch :shock: A few spot checks confirmed that the recording sounded different at some parts. :?

This was really not necessary, as it was only an addition of the correct intro, which could have been done in less than 5 minutes. :? It was way too much work for you and also for me as PLer, as I had to listen to the entire section again to make sure that there are no other errors now (believe me, it happened before ;) ). For a section of half an hour, that is quite some added work for both of us.

Also, if you really do re-record it all again, please let the DPLers know with a note, because the section has to be relistened to from scratch to be on the safe side. But we always prefer spot correcting to new recordings (because of the added work primarily).

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

smithjeanb wrote: February 7th, 2021, 9:57 amSonia - did I miss a new issue of the Black Cat? How will I know when you're ready for a new one? Once the last one was finished, then I don't know how I would be notified if there is a new one.
Hi Jean,

yes the Black Cats are always quite quickly fully claimed. I always make an announcement in the previous thread once a new project starts, so you have to stay bookmarked to this thread, then you'll know when the new one starts. I usually start the next issue once I have all but the last section in. So I'm waiting for one more section and then I'll launch ;)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: February 8th, 2021, 2:44 am
aww, what a sad story, but beautifully, nearly poetically written. And you narrated it with feeling, I loved it very much. Thank you, Greg, a wonderful final section for this project. :)

PL ok

Sonia
Sonia,

Thank you for your kind words. I always appreciate the great material you pick and the positive feedback you share.

Have a great week!

Greg
Anita23

Post by Anita23 »

Hi,

This is the link to section 2.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0201oct1896_2_various_128kb.mp3.mp3

Length is 29:17

Have a lovely weekend
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anita23 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 1:48 pmThis is the link to section 2.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0201oct1896_2_various_128kb.mp3.mp3
Length is 29:17
thank you for your story, Anita, which you have nicely narrated. It was such a sad story though :( I really felt with the little lark.

I did find quite some repetitions in your section, so I think maybe you gave me an unedited file ? All these repeats should have been caught and cut in the editing phase, but maybe you missed these. Don't worry, it's not much to correct, even though the list looks long. Please do NOT re-record the whole section again ! (I mention this to every new reader) We highly prefer spot editing, because it's much less work for the reader and also for the PLer. The cuts are easy to make, and the few re-reads you have to do are also easy. If you need help on how to accurately edit a file, please do not hesitate to ask before you start re-recording from scratch. I would really prefer to avoid this. Chances are high you may have other mistakes in the new file ;)

Ok, here is what needs doing:

> at 0:01: you forgot the first part of the intro (see example first post): please add at the beginning: "Section 2 of The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 1 October 1896. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

> at 0:03: "Volume 2, Number 1" – you say "Number 2"

> at 0:12: "R. George Smith, Jr" – jr. means "junior"

> at 9:27: (p. 17) "Mme la Comtesse X" – this is the abbreviation of the French title "Madame"

> from 9:36-10:00: (p. 17) repeat of "With her head whirling with this rush of words, she flew to her home in the garden of the villa to divulge the discovery of this wonderful and entertaining perch to Pippo" – you can cut out one of the versions

> at 13:39: (p. 18) stumble and repeat of "I have heard it say that I had" – can be cut

> at 14:24: (p. 19) "listen D U C H E S S" – for emphasis, may be it's better to spell the letters one by one, as she mentions that it's 7 letters she exchanged her smiles for

> from 17:30-17:49: (p. 20) repeat of "Then it was rumoured that he frequented the restaurant at the Piazzale Galileo, not far from where the big David overlooks the fair city – one version can be cut

> from 20:01-20:10: (p. 21) repeat of "when it was considered safe to leave the baby lark alone for a little while – one version can be cut

> at 25:53: (p. 23) "where he also imbibed" – you say "where he was also imbibed", which changes the meaning a lot ;)

> from 28:03-28:06: (p. 24) repeat of "she rested near a table" – one version can be cut

> at 29:11: for the end disclaimer, please only say "End of Section 2" – you can cut "End of the Black Cat volume 1 number 2, 12th Sep. 1896" – this will only be said once at the end of the final section of the book

> at the end we always leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you only have 3, could you also add 2 more please ?

> since you reupload anyway, please correct the file name to: "blackcat0201oct1896_2_various_128kb" (you have included "mp3" into the name, which is not necessary, this is the file-format)

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

As always, once we are down to one section...I will launch the next project, here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=86001

5 new stories are awaiting new readers. :)

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

Hi! Just wanted to say, that if anything ends up orphaned, I'll be oh, so, very happy to adopt it. :D