[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 05 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I heard back from Janj via PM so I will quote it here to have an official record:
Janj wrote:Don't worry, I'm done of recording it, I am just working on editing it, only some circumstances happened to me, so I am late, I apologize, but I will work hard until I hand it over before the Deadline. :thumbs:
all right, since you already recorded it, I will also grant you an extension, so you can finish the editing without stress. Till 24 April, I think that should give you ample time to finish. Please let me know any updates before that. And of course, if you finish earlier, I guess we are all more than happy to catalogue this project as soon as possible. Maybe even in time to get on the March Challenge list. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Janj

Post by Janj »

:help: :help:
I tried to upload my recording with Librivox Uploader but it gives me an error
Syntax Error: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

what should I do?
[b][i][color=#FF40BF]Your voice defines your Identity[/color][/i][/b]
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Janj wrote: March 25th, 2021, 1:53 pm :help: :help:
I tried to upload my recording with Librivox Uploader but it gives me an error
Syntax Error: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

what should I do?
first, are you sure it's an mp3 file? did you export correctly into mp3 ?
second, is your file name correct? you should only use alphanumerical signs, nothing fancy like brackets or accents or anything

if those two are correct, try another browser, maybe it works there. or delete the cache of your browser and try again.

sometimes you just have to try a few times.

I log off for the night, but let me know the result of your trials. We will manage somehow. If you need more help, as in the help forum, they may know more details.

Sonia
Janj

Post by Janj »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Janj wrote: March 25th, 2021, 2:23 pmSection 6 , 54:42
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0105_6_various_128kb.mp3
Jana Shepl.
ah I'm happy it worked, Jana, so what was the problem ? Did it help to use another browser ? :hmm:

All right, first of all, congrats for your first official section for LV :clap: and kudos, because you really took a huge section to start out with :shock: In fact it was the longest story of this project. And it wasn't an easy text to read, but the story was so romantic.

Now please don't get a shock from my PL list...I know it looks like a lot (but it's only about 20 corrections) and you don't have to re-record the entire text again ! You only re-record the sentence where there is an error in a new Audacity window then you copy and paste it in the right slot.

Most of the errors are pronunciation errors. I only commented on those that change the meaning or made the sentence very hard to understand. I guess English is not your first language ? :hmm: You do sound ok but some words make it hard to follow the story. You chose a long text, it would have been much easier to start out with a short poem. :? But we'll get to the bottom of it, don't worry :)

Also if you prefer to record in your mother tongue (Arabic ?) we are always running a multilingual project where you can submit sections there. The text has to be in the public domain, but other than that there are no restrictions on the choice of your text. The current project has just been launched today ! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=86458

Ok, back to your section, here is what I would suggest to correct. The best is to start from the last note, because then the time stamps will stay the same for you:

Notes for Intro, filename and audio:

> at 0:22: "by C. Mac Farlane" – I think you say "Charlie", just say "C." like in the book

> also careful with the filenaming, you forgot the leading 0 here, since we have over 10 sections, we need to use double digits. So please rename your file with "06"

And a final important note concerning the audio. Your sound is much improved from 11 minutes onwards, and it's much clearer to understand from then on as it's not so "muffled". So whatever set-up you did while recording this bit, please stick with it. I don't know why the sound in your first 10 minutes was so muffled. Did you record differently ? Another room or microphone maybe ? In any case, the last 3/4 was much better. :thumbs:

Notes for page 73:

> at 1:02: "it is time that some of that conquering expedition should be returned to the Winged Lion" – you say "expection". Also the end of this sentence is hard to understand, I would recommend re-recording the entire sentence

> at 2:05: "nor could the flight of the gull or the albatross" – albatross is mispronounced and therefore hard to understand. See here for right stress: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/albatross#Pronunciation

> at 3:58: "and made himself heard, despite of distance" – "heard" should be rhyming on "herd" and "despite" rhymes with "might"

> at 5:21: after "seemed to smile at these testi-" you skip to the wrong column/page and continue the text from the previous story with "thirsty of her try". This goes on till 11:05 (till the sentence "the boat went over the cataract"). So all this part can get cut. I don't know how this could have happened as the text was completely different from the rest of the story :hmm: But then you correctly continue with "-monials of joy". Maybe you could glue the words "testi" and "monials" together since it's one word ;)

Notes for page 74:

> at 13:08: "as the confirmer of good tidings" – you say "tiddings", it should be the sound like in "tide"

> at 13:16: "by his deeds" – you say "deads", this should rhyme with "seeds"

> at 14:03: "the assembled multitude echoed the words of the captain" – I had trouble understanding this part, especially "words" which sounds more like "braids"

> at 14:15: "destined to be heard on many a foreign shore" – "heard" again rhymes on "herd" and for "foreign" I hear "two reign" :hmm:

> at 16:21: "rested not on her pillow" – I hear "below"

> at 16:46: "or she who had cherished" – I hear "churshed"

> at 20:40: between "place of rest" and "the appropriate banner" there are two stumbling sounds which can be cut

Notes for page 75:

> at 29:06: stumble and repeat "to every shore of the Mediterranean" – you can once cut "of the"

> at 29:42: "a pope had been the guest" – you say "apopee" – it should rhyme with "hope"

> at 31:01: "the city of the isles" – the "s" is not heard in "isles" it should rhyme with "miles"

Notes for page 76:

> at 43:25: "and I not see the loveliness" – you say "love lines" – the ending should sound like any word in -ness" (business, fitness for example) so here: "lovely-ness"

> at 45:53: stumble and repeat: "now resting on this object" – "rest" can be cut once

> at 47:12: "that had brought him thither" – the "i" should sound like in "winter" not like in "rise"

> at 48:24: "and cold sweat on his brow" – "sweat" should rhyme with "fat"

> at 53:22-53:29: I hear a lot of background noise in this part, which I would suggest, re-recording: "it would have been difficult to tell which of the two, or whether both"

I think the rest is fine as it is. Please let me know if you need any help on how to best edit. I usually do it the following way, which is quite easy I think. (if you are using Audacity)

1. record the missing sentence in a new Audacity window.
2. noise-clean and amplify this part so it sounds a bit similar to the previous recording.
3. Highlight and copy the sentence.
4. Paste the sentence in the old Audacity file with the entire text, at the time stamp that I gave you in my list
5. Listen to the sentences before and after your newly inserted part and maybe you have to manually adjust the volume a little bit still so it sounds similar.
6. Re-export to mp3 and reupload here. That's it.

And I repeat: do NOT re-record the entire text, it's too much work for you and for me to do it all a second time. ;) Just correct the spots.

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is my own submission. Yet another tragic story of a young girl who married in secret and was betrayed. Didn't we have one exactly the same only a short while ago ? Must have been en vogue at the time. :hmm:

In any case, if someone would like to PL my part, please post in the thread before you download, so the work will not be done double.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0105_01_various_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 16:20 min.

Now trying to find another part to help in the last days of the March challenge 8-)

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I am always glad to listen to you! Jim
Janj

Post by Janj »

I'm sorry
I can't fix all of that, you can open the section again
The next time I'm gonna take a short poem maybe, I apologize :oops: :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 7:00 am I am always glad to listen to you! Jim
thank you Jim

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Janj wrote: March 28th, 2021, 7:19 am I'm sorry
I can't fix all of that, you can open the section again
The next time I'm gonna take a short poem maybe, I apologize :oops: :oops:
oh I am sorry, but are you sure ? You already put so much effort into it. :(

Editing is quite important for every file. And yes, the editing process usually takes 3-4 times longer than the recording time. So a good way of starting is with a small poem, to learn the ropes. As an example, I timed the section I was recording this afternoon for this project. It took me a little bit over 2 hours to have the end result of 16 minutes. And I am already very used to editing, so for a new reader it will take longer probably. You can assess how much time you want/can input into your recording by considering this.

I don't mind opening it up again, but I hope you are not discouraged by the process. With time and practice it will be better. And maybe recording small poems, or even texts in your native language, would make matters easier for you.

Good luck

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Section 1 is absolutely perfect! You are PL OK. Jim :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 10:43 am Section 1 is absolutely perfect! You are PL OK. Jim :D
thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so, section 6 is again up for grabs, after confirmation from Jana.

Back to readers wanted

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I can do 6. Jim :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:20 am I can do 6. Jim :thumbs:
all right, that makes us fully claimed again, thank you Jim :)

not enough time today, but I will launch the next one tomorrow

Update: it's launched :mrgreen:

Sonia