COMPLETE [SOLO] The Greenstone Door Satchell, William-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Zach, chapter 19 has been uploaded. I don't know how your German is but mine is non-existent. I've done my best - here's a reading I found on Youtube - https://youtu.be/FRiKiCTyNf8 (2:56-3:15) and I have used this to try and get intonation and pronunciation. If what I have done is too hard to listen to (and I can only hope that no native german speakers listen to this book) then I'll have another go at it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/greenstonedoor_chapter_19_satchell_128kb.mp3 length 27:34
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 19 is PL OK. I don't know any German either, but I do like to listen to a recording of the Winterreise. Your reading sounds plausibly like German to my untrained ear. I suppose that if you want to get a German speaker to PL that part for you there is probably a way to do that, but I don't know for sure.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Let me interject a personal experience here. I read a Tolstoy book with a lot of french. Didn't look up pronunciations for any of it, just read it with some sort of French accent. Have gotten a review on Archive about what a great reading it was, even my french, and another that says I shouldn't be reading Tolstoy without having an excellent accent in both French and Russian. And I've had my French criticized on projects where I looked up every phrase in a software translator and tried to imitate it as best as I could.

So I wouldn't worry about the German. You're not a German speaker ... you tried, that's all we ask for. Now if you were reading on a German project, that wouldn't fly, but for an English book, it's good enough.

MaryAnn
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Thank you Maryann, I take heart in your experience and will let it be as it is.
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 20 is PL OK.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 21 is PL OK. The plot is thickening fast.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

As the recording for Chapter 22 was longer than an hour I split the chapter in to 2 parts. Both parts are uploaded and ready for PL.
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Both parts of Chapter 22 are PL OK. I will plan to listen to 23 tonight.
zachh

Post by zachh »

One very small edit for Chapter 23. There is a repeat at 20:21-23 “I know not, he replied….”
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Thanks for the pickup Zach. I've made the change.
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

23 is now PL OK.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

I'm too tired to carry on tonight. Mostly because this chapter is showing how Pakeha myth making smoothed over actual atrocities committed in Rangioawhiri - women and children were massacred here but the author has glossed over this horribly and I'm feeling rather conflicted about carrying on with the story. Oh dear! This is colonisers justifying the unjustifiable at its worst. I guess I am just reading a rather influential book which informed the attitudes of a generation or more of New Zealanders and as such it is a way to understand why injustices continued to be carried out against the Maori until the present day. But somehow I'm feeling dirty in the reading. To bed for now to ponder what the hell I am doing.
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

I think that the problem you are experiencing is one that not infrequently occurs when folks are reading for LibriVox, though I am sure it is none the less distressing for that. From what I have seen the most common method is to use the summary to express the reader's concerns about part of the content of the book they have read. I hope that you'll be able to find a way to move forward that feels suitable to you, somehow.