COMPLETE [SOLO] The Greenstone Door Satchell, William-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

The Greenstone Door by William Satchell (1861 - 1942).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-greenstone-door-by-william-satchell/
The Greenstone Door is a historical novel, set between 1830-1860’s New Zealand. The main character, Cedric Tregarthen, is remembering his past, telling the story both from his vantage point as an old man remembering, and as a young man experiencing his life. The story starts with the sack of the Te Kuma pa and the death of his father, his subsequent adoption by the trader Purcell and protection of Te Waharoa. He grows up among the Maori people, with his foster sister Puhi-Huia and his friend, Rangiora. Together the three young people penetrate to a secret limestone cave, where in their fancy the stalagmites take the shapes of men and women in some drama of the future; Rangiora and Cedric end the racial hostility of their boyhood with an oath of peace, the compact of the Tatau Pounamu, that the Greenstone Door be closed. Events then move on in history, through the troubles that followed Waitangi. We see Cedric in Auckland, meeting his love interest and observing Governor George Grey at close range. When the Waikato war breaks out, his sympathies and loyalties are divided and, in theory, we are shown both sides. (http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-SteNove-t1-body-d2-d8.html)

It is worth remembering that this book was published in 1914 and holds value as an artifact of the Pakeha(1) desire to justify their place in New Zealand and to mythologize the wars for New Zealand. In reality the conflict was ‘brutal, bloody and calculated’ (RNZ). The invasion of the Waikato between 1863 and 1864 is the biggest campaign of the New Zealand wars and marks a titanic struggle as to who will own and control New Zealand itself, conflict between Maori defending what was rightfully theirs and the imperial might of Great Britain. The outcome of the war was the confiscation of 12,000 square km2 of Waikato lands. The repercussions of this have reverberated throughout New Zealand history and “leaves the King Movement tribes with a legacy of poverty and bitterness that was partly assuaged in 1995 when the government conceded that the 1863 invasion and confiscation was wrongful and apologised for its actions”. The Waikato-Tainui tribe accepted compensation in the form of cash and some government-controlled lands totalling about $171 million – about 1 percent of the value of the lands confiscated in 1863. Queen Elizabeth II personally signed the Waikato Raupatu Claims Settlement Act 1995. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_Waikato).

Also, real atrocities were committed in one of the battles depicted in 'The Greenstone Door' at Rangiaowhia, quite apart from the bloodiness of warfare. This was a negotiated 'safe harbour' for non-combatants and people came to Rangiaowhia seeking refuge. The army attacked and killed unarmed men, women and children, both by gunfire and torching a building that they were sheltering in. 'The Greenstone Door' alludes to this torched building but never acknowledges that it was likely a church and housed women and children. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangiaowhia)

So enjoy this story, as you will, keeping in mind that it is fiction and offers a highly biased Pakeha view of the reasons for and justification of war.

For anyone wanting to know more about this history, I recommend Dr Vincent O’Malley’s book ‘The Great War for New Zealand: Waikato 1800-2000’. RNZ also have an excellent program on this subject entitled ‘NZ Wars: Stories of Tainui’ available on YouTube.

1. Pakeha – White New Zealander – usually of British extraction.
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-SatGree.html
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Greenstone Door. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Greenstone Door, by William Satchell. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Greenstone Door by William Satchell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Greenstone Door, by William Satchell. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename greenstonedoor_##_satchell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. greenstonedoor_01_satchell_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by GNOMESB on April 18th, 2021, 4:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Naomi Brewster
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Naomi,

Your source has published this under a creative commons license that requires attribution. I'm not sure how they do that when they also say it is a public domain text, unless they are referring to the fact that it is a transcribed version of a published work.

If you can access Google Books, the 1914 edition is available here: https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Greenstone_Door/i-RDAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0 Using that edition also eliminates any question about whether the 1935 reprint included any changes that would create a new copyright.

It's also available on HathiTrust here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.32106002012232

Would one of these sources work for you?

Also, where did the summary come from? I see you are attributing it to Joan Stevens. The summary needs to be public domain so if it was written after 1925, we'll need you to remove that and replace it with something else (which you can write if there's not one you like in the public domain).

MaryAnn
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Hi MaryAnn, I don't seem to be able to access is digital version via Hathitrust or Google books - Hathitrust indicates that I can't download the book from them and clicking on the 'view text-only version' takes me around in circles. Hathitrust points me to google books. Google books points me to buy a print version or search this book for quotes but doesn't seem to give me the full text. correct me if I am wrong.

I'll look online to see if I can find a generic summary of the book in public domain.

I vaguely recall that we had a similar difficulty way back in 2018 when I first proposed this project.

The NZETC creative share alike clause on use is as follows:
Creative Commons Share-Alike license
Where the original text is out of copyright it is our policy to provide the digitised version under a New Zealand Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License (CC BY-SA).

The Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license allows anyone to re-use material in our texts under the following conditions:

attribution to the source of the material is included by marking the material with the collection name ("The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection") and the link to the material as found on our website;
the re-use of the material is licensed under the same license, allowing others to further re-use the material. This means that the re-use of the material must be marked with the same Creative Commons license.
Use of the Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license allows us to make material freely available to the community for re-use, and also ensures that:

any errors in the material can be traced back to the Victoria University of Wellington Library as the originator of the digital reproduction;
such material continues to be freely available to the community after subsequent re-use.

Does this cause problems on Librivox?
Naomi Brewster
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MaryAnn
Naomi discussed this here search.php?author_id=81218&sr=posts and was given a green light. The trouble for us with both Google and Haithi is that they both decide that we can't read books which are clearly PD here because it is easier for them to just not check. This is understandable - they are in the USA but it is frustrating especially for books which are written in NZ or AUS. Maybe some one could get us a pdf and it coulld be used to PL against if you have doubts?

Anne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Naomi and Anne, I didn't realize that you had already discussed this. I think the risk of changes on a reprint are small, but I'll do some spot checks to make sure.

Naomi, I'm happy to MC this for you. I will get your MW set up as soon as I get some breakfast! Back in a bit.

MaryAnn
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Maryann, thank you. Can I get access to the magic window to enter the chapter titles?
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Naomi,

You are entered behind the scenes as the BC, so you have access to the MW. If you are having getting a "you don't have permission" message, it may mean that you are logged in using the general LV password (which we use for the uploader) rather than your personal MW password. Click to sign out and then try logging in again using your own MW password.

MaryAnn
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Naomi,

Now that you have a few chapters uploaded, it may be a good time to post an advert for a DPL over in the Listeners Wanted forum.

Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

Please let me know if you have any questions!

MaryAnn
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Thanks MaryAnn, I have done this just now.
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 26th, 2021, 4:41 pm Naomi,

Now that you have a few chapters uploaded, it may be a good time to post an advert for a DPL over in the Listeners Wanted forum.

Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

Please let me know if you have any questions!

MaryAnn
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster