COMPLETE: The American Bee Journal. Volume XVII No. 11, March 1881 by Various -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

calmoji wrote: January 19th, 2021, 5:34 pm Hi there!

Could take sections 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16?
Well, that's a lot, but if you're up for it, so am I. :wink:

Thank you for your interest.
~ Larry
Tolinky

Post by Tolinky »

Hiya!

Would I be able to lay claim to the selections from the letterbox? sections 17, 18, 19, 20

This is my first proper recording too so could I be credited as John Willcox-Beney
Many thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Tolinky wrote: January 20th, 2021, 10:22 am Hiya!

Would I be able to lay claim to the selections from the letterbox? sections 17, 18, 19, 20

This is my first proper recording too so could I be credited as John Willcox-Beney
Many thanks!
Hi, John!

Same remark as above - Well, that's a lot, but if you're up for it, so am I. (especially for your first go).

I'd suggest doing one section, but wait for you PL report before continuing just in case there are any issues we need to address.

I've added you to the LV catalog and assigned these sections to you. Just click on your name in the MW to view your catalog page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects, of which I hope there will be many.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap: :clap:
~ Larry
Tolinky

Post by Tolinky »

Woo! To celebrate, here's section 17! Some quite sad letters about beekeepers finding the winter of 1880-1 very hard for their colonies:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbeejournalmarch1881_17_various_128kb.mp3 (09:22)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Tolinky wrote: January 21st, 2021, 9:54 am Woo! To celebrate, here's section 17! Some quite sad letters about beekeepers finding the winter of 1880-1 very hard for their colonies:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbeejournalmarch1881_17_various_128kb.mp3 (09:22)
Thank you!
We'll try to have a PL report for you soon
~ Larry
calmoji

Post by calmoji »

silverquill wrote: January 19th, 2021, 10:43 pm
calmoji wrote: January 19th, 2021, 5:34 pm Hi there!

Could take sections 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16?
Well, that's a lot, but if you're up for it, so am I. :wink:

Thank you for your interest.
What can I say, when it comes to Librivox I like to be a busy bee~

I've finished reading my section and I do have a few questions about some of the content:

Section 12 "How to prevent robbing" - Author seems to be making some fairly racist remarks, should I preface the section with some kind of disclaimer like "this section contains racist statements, listener discretion advised?" It's also possible I'm misunderstanding things and looking at this content with a 2021 perspective.
While the robbers were helping themselves, the colony robbed was not discouraged, but appeared to be robbing some other, and the queen was laying eggs, to be starved as they advanced to brood; no bees appeared to be killed at the entrance, as no blacks were about; they were all Italians, and they can rob when they get started.
Section 13 "Killed by kindness" - After the editors notes there are several announcements for local bee-keepers associations. Should I be reading these as well?
☞ The North Western Wisconsin Bee-keepers Association will meet at Germania Hall, LaCrosse, Wis., on Tuesday, May 10, at 10 a.m. All interested in bee-keeping are requested to be present.

L. H. Pammel, Jr., Sec.

☞ The next meeting of the N. W. Illinois and S. W. Wisconsin Bee-Keepers' Association, will be held at H. W. Lee's, 2 miles n.w. of Pecatonica, Winnebago county, Ills., on the 17th of May, 1881.

J. Stewart, Sec.

☞ On account of unfavorable weather the convention at Monroe Centre, Ill., met on Feb. 8, and there being but few present, adjourned to the same place on March 29, 1881.

A. Rice, Pres.
Section 16 "Interesting Letter from Ceylon" - Has both some racist comments as well as some announcements. Should I include an advisory statement about the racist comments, and should I be reading the post-section announcements?
The natives are far worse than Cypriotes to get along with and accomplish anything. They seem to tell lies simply for the sake of giving an answer, where no pecuniary gain could come to them. Again, they seem to wish to avoid saying “I do not know,” when the Lord knows it would be the most appropriate thing for them to say in ninety-nine cases out of a hundred.
☞ There are five Wednesdays in March—hence, the next number sent to Semi-Monthly subscribers will be No. 14.

☞ We can supply but a few more of the back numbers to new subscribers. If any want them, they must be sent for soon.

☞ One letter sometimes makes quite a difference in the meaning of a sentence. Mr. L. James calls attention to an error in his article on page 34, in the 4th line from the bottom—the word hiving is there given as “hiding.” As the sense indicated the word required, perhaps it was not generally noticed.

☞ The past week has been noted for snow storms, not only in America but also in Europe, where a winter of unusual severity is reported, with deep snows and steady frosts for months together. This winter will have a place in history, as being among the most severe as well as of the longest duration. Not alone have the bees suffered by it, but cattle, sheep, hogs, etc., have perished by the thousand from the prevalence of blizzards and deep snows.

☞ Several bee-keepers in this vicinity are considering the feasibility of holding a convention in Detroit this spring. The law in regard to foul brood, which is about to be passed, makes an organization necessary. It is desirable to know how many would favor the enterprise. Will such please send me their address.

A. B. Weed.

No. 75 Bagg street, Detroit, Mich. e.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for your efforts and for you questions. I'd rather have letters than confusion, and should have been clearer on what to include.

Do NOT read those additional notes that you mentioned, They are not part of the articles and are just business. Usually we try to no exclusions, but there are times when we can, such as this. Footnotes, for instance, are treated on a case-by-case basis, as are things like appendices, charts, tables, etc. Sorry I was not clearer about this.

As for your question about "racist" material, I am unclear as to what your concern is. Maybe you could be more specific, because I don't see any. If you are referring to "Italian" and "Cypriotes," these refer to bees, not people, and wouldn't be interpreted as such. There are a number of articles and correspondence in this issue about Italian bees. Is there something else?

But, even if there were, we would NOT add anything to the text. This is accepted LibriVox policy

We do, from time to time, when dealing with public domain material written over a hundred years ago, or more, that reflects racial, ethical, social, religious attitudes that we might find offensive in our contemporary sensibilities. But, we read all text "as written." In disclaimers are advisories would be included in the book description which you see on the first post on the project forum. It would also appear in the book description when it is published. Public domain material of a historical nature provides us the insight we need into past perceptions. Some of the scientific books are almost hilarious! We did a whole book recently that seriously set out to prove and describe the canals and vegetation on Mars! That said, any reader or other participant is free to work or not work on any project or any part of it as they wish.

Do let me know if you have other questions or concerns.
~ Larry
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

calmoji wrote: January 21st, 2021, 6:55 pm

I've finished reading my section and I do have a few questions about some of the content:

Section 12 "How to prevent robbing" - Author seems to be making some fairly racist remarks, should I preface the section with some kind of disclaimer like "this section contains racist statements, listener discretion advised?" It's also possible I'm misunderstanding things and looking at this content with a 2021 perspective.
While the robbers were helping themselves, the colony robbed was not discouraged, but appeared to be robbing some other, and the queen was laying eggs, to be starved as they advanced to brood; no bees appeared to be killed at the entrance, as no blacks were about; they were all Italians, and they can rob when they get started.
I think you're also referring to:
Italians especially go about visiting for the purpose of plunder...
As a former beekeeper, please take my word for it that no offense is intended. Italian and Black are breeds of bees. The author is referring to different kinds of honey bees, not people. It is still commonly known that different breeds of bees are more or less aggressive, more or less protective of their hives... just like breeds of dogs or tomatoes. The Italians were named after their common source in Europe. The Blacks were named after their relatively dark color.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks, Adrian!
In the MW Ready for PL.
~ Larry
calmoji

Post by calmoji »

GraceBuchanan wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:59 am
calmoji wrote: January 21st, 2021, 6:55 pm

I think you're also referring to:
Italians especially go about visiting for the purpose of plunder...
As a former beekeeper, please take my word for it that no offense is intended. Italian and Black are breeds of bees. The author is referring to different kinds of honey bees, not people. It is still commonly known that different breeds of bees are more or less aggressive, more or less protective of their hives... just like breeds of dogs or tomatoes. The Italians were named after their common source in Europe. The Blacks were named after their relatively dark color.
Hey Grace, thanks for the reply! Your expertise are much appreciated, I'm happy to have learned something new today :)
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

calmoji wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 4:08 pm
Hey Grace, thanks for the reply! Your expertise are much appreciated, I'm happy to have learned something new today :)
Thanks for being so sensitive to interpretations and such issues. I really appreciate it. You've gotten me thinking about whether such language might be concealing racism. I'm being attentive...
My LibriVox publications

GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

My LibriVox publications

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great! Thank you!

We haven't secured a volunteer DPL yet, but if none steps forward soon, I'll PL when I am able.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry