[COMPLETE] Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual by F. Matthias Alexander-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Fewer people have time to follow along with the text than to listen for obvious oversights, so we don't require it for standard PL, but don't discourage it either. Looking at my last message, I see that I somehow managed to write "it" instead of "do" at the end -- which, if I did it in the recording, you would probably notice without looking at the text. :D

Michael
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

OK...I have listened to Section 1
There were no issues. (Good Job)
Is there a way I update the chart, or does MaryAnn do all that?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

With readers like Michael, MaryAnn generally takes a nap and waits for him to wake her up and say that all is done!

Seriously, you are the one to update the chart. In my post on the last page, I gave you instructions for setting up a password so you could get in to edit it. After you have listened, you change the status to either "See PL Notes" (if there are things to be corrected) or PL OK.

Maryann
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks, David! Take your time. :) Section 3 is ready for PL.

Michael
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

• 4:29 is a block quote. I’ll explain what I see and hear. I do not know if this is an issue, so I am noting it so everyone is aware. Basically, not every quote mark is read.
    • At the beginning – No quote read.
    • 4:58 No quote read at the beginning of the second paragraph of the quote.
    • 5:31 ‘the pulse of Being beat’ – Opening and closing quotes read.
    • 5:36 ‘no good warrant… - Opening quote Not read
    • 5:51 …beings swim in,’ - No quote read.
    • 5:57 …human sensorium.” – End quote read
    • So, what the reader hears are One opening quote and Two end quotes.
  • 5:57 – I assume footnotes are not being read?
  • 6:45 - Do I care if quote marks are not noted throughout the book?
  • 8:30 – For this quote, you do not read the opening quote mark, but you do read the ‘end quote mark.’
The reading is almost flawless. I just need to know how quote marks are going to be handled, because currently, it is not consistent.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks for the deep dive, David! For the quotes, my general approach is not to spell out quote marks, unless I feel it's really necessary. The choices are subjective, so I hope the following explanation makes sense. When there's a word or a short phrase within the quotes, I signal the quotes by intonation, unless I feel I need to be more explicit, in which case I say "quote-unquote". When there's a quoted passage, I don't spell out the quote marks when they are signaled explicitly in the text (which usually happens at the start of the passage). The example of nested quote marks you point out is a difficult one... I hope the inner quote is short enough that it's not confusing.

In this book, I read footnotes when they contain commentary, but not when they contain bibliographical information.

Let me know if this is unclear. :)

Michael
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

Kazbek wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:50 am Thanks for the deep dive, David! For the quotes, my general approach is not to spell out quote marks, unless I feel it's really necessary. The choices are subjective, so I hope the following explanation makes sense. When there's a word or a short phrase within the quotes, I signal the quotes by intonation, unless I feel I need to be more explicit, in which case I say "quote-unquote". When there's a quoted passage, I don't spell out the quote marks when they are signaled explicitly in the text (which usually happens at the start of the passage). The example of nested quote marks you point out is a difficult one... I hope the inner quote is short enough that it's not confusing.

In this book, I read footnotes when they contain commentary, but not when they contain bibliographical information.

Let me know if this is unclear. :)

Michael
Makes sense to me. Just wanted to clarify.
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

15:20 –
What was read: “…inventions are not to end UP by making us…”
What is written: “…inventions are not to end by making us…”

This could possibly change the intent.

Thoughts?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks, I'll fix that. When in doubt, please go ahead and mention it. If I decide to leave something as is, I won't be shy about saying it. :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Section 3 is ready for spot PL (15:17-15:23, p. 44 replaced). The next section will probably come towards the end of the week.

Thanks!
Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Section 4 is ready for PL.
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

Kazbek wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm Section 4 is ready for PL.
  • 1:37
    • What I heard, “, whilst many others of those new instincts…”
    • What is written, “, whilst many of those new instincts…”
    • I don’t feel it changes the intent, but it’s not my call.
  • 23:01
    • What I heard, “building-up of a serious of specific…”
    • What is written, “building-up of a series of specific…”
    • Possible change of intent.
  • 42:44
    • What I heard, “; indeed, failure is almost certain to result,…”
    • What is written, “; indeed, failure will be almost certain to result,…”
    • Possible change of intent.
Great work.
The hardest part for me is the "mind-wandering :? " as I listen. But, as one who has studied psychology, this does get somewhat interesting. :D
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

Just curious:

Is the decision of where to stop recording for Section 4 mainly dictated by the length of the recording?

and

Michael, In your notes of Section 4, you mention p. 50. I assume that means page 50. Where are you getting that page number? In my document, you stopped on page 28. Is this just a difference in our pdf readers?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

FDPuthuff wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:05 pm Great work.
Thank you, David! I've changed the phrases you pointed out.
The hardest part for me is the "mind-wandering :? " as I listen. But, as one who has studied psychology, this does get somewhat interesting. :D
I can sympathize, especially if you haven't taken AT lessons. Some parts of this book give a valuable perspective of what is taught in modern AT, while others are outdated and have fallen by the wayside. I personally find even the latter mildly interesting for historical reasons, because Alexander managed to come up with a good thing that was well ahead of his time. Having spoken most of my life with a severe stutter despite trying various other things, I wouldn't be able to do this if he didn't go out on a ledge in his day. :)
Is the decision of where to stop recording for Section 4 mainly dictated by the length of the recording?
In a way. We have a limit of 72 minutes, and I prefer to keep sections shorter than that, if I have to break up an internal book division anyway. The chapters after part 1 will all fit in a single section.
Michael, In your notes of Section 4, you mention p. 50. I assume that means page 50. Where are you getting that page number? In my document, you stopped on page 28. Is this just a difference in our pdf readers?
Oh, I guess so. Mine is counting pages from the start of the scan, and it sounds like yours is synchronized with the printed page numbers. Since I'm putting page numbers in the MW for your convenience, I'll switch to book pagination.

Michael
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

Kazbek wrote: January 31st, 2021, 8:42 am
Oh, I guess so. Mine is counting pages from the start of the scan, and it sounds like yours is synchronized with the printed page numbers. Since I'm putting page numbers in the MW for your convenience, I'll switch to book pagination.

Michael
Either way. I have started tracking my page numbers in my notes, so I am now good either way.

Whatever is easiest for you.