[COMPLETE] Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual by F. Matthias Alexander-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual by F. Matthias Alexander (1869 - 1955) and others.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/constructive-conscious-control-by-fm-alexander/
F. Matthias Alexander was an Australian actor, author and educator, who is best known as the inventor of Alexander Technique, a method for "unlearning" acquired habits of movement and posture that are harmful or suboptimal, and allowing natural, healthy patterns of body use to emerge in their place. Alexander Technique is now taught by specially trained instructors through in-person lessons around the world, and is particularly popular among musicians and other performance artists. In this 1923 book, considered by many to be his best, Alexander explains the principles of his technique and the theory behind it. It includes an introduction by the American philosopher and educator John Dewey, who studied the technique with Alexander. (Summary by Kazbek)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com/books?id=oQtVAAAAMAAJ
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual, by F. Matthias Alexander. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual by F. Matthias Alexander. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual, by F. Matthias Alexander. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename constructive_##_alexander_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. constructive_01_alexander_128kb.mp3)
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  5. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Kazbek on March 20th, 2021, 7:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

This 1942 reprint is the earliest I could find. It gives a copyright of 1923. The same scan is also available in full view at HathiTrust:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89053361036&view=1up&seq=9

I prefer to download it from Google Books.

Michael
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

This copy available at HathiTrust from the Univ of Illinois is the second printing in November 1923.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiuc.1151770&view=1up&seq=8
Jo
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:17 pm This copy available at HathiTrust from the Univ of Illinois is the second printing in November 1923.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiuc.1151770&view=1up&seq=8
This one is a little weird. Earlier in the scan, it says this scan is in copyright, which is why I didn't even scroll down to check the publication date. On closer inspection, I believe it's because it was still in copyright when they scanned it in 2010. They were justifying scanning a copyrighted work with their reference to 17 U.S. Code § 107 (fair use). In any case, I really prefer a downloadable copy. I find it more difficult to read from the HathiTrust viewer in my setup.

Michael
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Michael,

I'd be happy to MC this for you, but before I set it up, I'd like to get input from the other admins on using the 1942 reprint. So if you can sit tight for a bit ...

MaryAnn
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, MaryAnn. If there's an issue, I'd like to understand what it is, because I've been advising other readers that a scan is ok to use if it's in full view at HathiTrust, based on comments by admins I read in the forums. It's a legally well-equiped organization that has won a landmark copyright case.

Added: https://www.hathitrust.org/copyright-review

Michael
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, we're good to go, and I'll get your MW set up.

I thought it was odd that two other reprints were not full view at Google while this one was ... Not sure if Google picks up the copyright status from Hathi, or if Hathi picks it up from Google, but in any event, this reprint is fine.

MaryAnn
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:32 am OK, we're good to go, and I'll get your MW set up.

I thought it was odd that two other reprints were not full view at Google while this one was ... Not sure if Google picks up the copyright status from Hathi, or if Hathi picks it up from Google, but in any event, this reprint is fine.

MaryAnn
Great, thanks for checking! The scan at HathiTrust is the one digitized by Google, and it was checked by HathiTrust's copyright review program. I'm not sure if Google has its own copyright review program. If there are versions of the book that seem like they're PD but aren't in full view at HathiTrust, perhaps it's because they haven't reviewed them yet.

Michael
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Just as a point of information, there seems to be a fine copy available at archive.org.
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.506893/page/n3/mode/2up
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

KevinS wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:37 am Just as a point of information, there seems to be a fine copy available at archive.org.
Another masterstroke of typo-proof searching, Kevin! :) The Google scan is working for me, but thanks for checking!

Michael
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kazbek wrote: January 20th, 2021, 11:24 am
KevinS wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:37 am Just as a point of information, there seems to be a fine copy available at archive.org.
Another masterstroke of typo-proof searching, Kevin! :) The Google scan is working for me, but thanks for checking!

Michael
I thought it might better serve as the e-text for the catalog.
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

I would be happy to be a Listener on this project.

This would be my first project, so I may need to be spoon-fed a little, but I am ready to go. 8-)

FDPuthuff (David)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Welcome to LibriVox David! We are glad that you are here, and excited to work with you on this project.

I've added you as a DPL - Dedicated Proof Listener for this project.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

[Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.]

You may have already seen it, Michael has requested "standard" prooflistening, and this post explains what that entails: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

If you have any trouble getting into the MW, or any questions along the way, please ask. PLing is a nice way to get your feet wet, but be careful, LV can easily turn into somewhat of an addiction!

MaryAnn
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

FDPuthuff wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:24 pm I would be happy to be a Listener on this project.

This would be my first project, so I may need to be spoon-fed a little, but I am ready to go. 8-)

FDPuthuff (David)
Thank you, David! It's great to have you on board. :) MaryAnn has posted links to our standard instructions. Besides that, if you happen to notice any deviations from the text that change its meaning, or if any mispronunciations jump out at you, I would appreciate hearing about it. What kind of deviations you may notice depends on whether you decide to follow along with the text, which you don't have to it.

I look forward to working with you!

Michael
FDPuthuff

Post by FDPuthuff »

Thank you for having me.

Even though I have read the FAQs and all that, it is still odd to be able to do this and only have to read along at the beginning and the end.

I guess my mindset coming in was word perfect.

OK. Here we go.