[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 04 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SimonaLovin wrote: February 13th, 2021, 5:13 pmI have uploaded section 6, Chess Play.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_6_smith_128kb.mp3
I had a listen to it all now, Simona and it was a wonderful story with a nice moral at the end. :9: I was also rooting for the more quiet Florence throughout the game.

Your reading is very agreeable to listen to, nicely paced and enunciated. :thumbs: Textually also all is perfect, so it could be marked ok on the first go. However, maybe you want to clean up a little bit the background rumbling which is quite disturbing and does mar the listening pleasure a little bit.

Do you use Audacity ? It is very easy to clean up the noise there. Please do the following:

> select a small portion where you don't speak and where there is noise. I found a good spot to get a sample from: if you enlarge the view with the magnifiying glass you can take a sample from 0:18, between "recording by Simona Lovin" and "the rover volume 1"
> go to Effect (uppper menu bar): choose "Noise Reduction"
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect --> Noise Reduction
> now select OK

Just reupload with the same file name and the old file will be replaced by the new one.

The best of course is to try and find the source of this noise. Maybe an electrical appliance running nearby (fridge, fan) ? Maybe you could turn that off while recording or put your recording gear further away from the source.

In any case, a wonderful debut reading and already I hope to hear many more sections from you :)

Thank you

Sonia
NarratorKD

Post by NarratorKD »

Kitty wrote: February 14th, 2021, 2:54 am
NarratorKD wrote:Alright, I did my best to get it to sound consistent, but I had some issues.
the corrections were brilliantly inserted to my ears, I don't hear a difference in sound. Very well done. :thumbs:
I think I raised the volume enough (still trying to figure out why the numbers don't show the way others speak of them, so it's still a learning curve for me!)
I am not sure what you did, but the volume is still the same. :hmm: Are you using Audacity ? Here is the step-by-step what you should do, to this your current file:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 5 in the upper box (called: amplification dB). Change nothing in the lower box !
> press ok

This should get you to a good average of about 89 dB.

To check your volume level before you upload the file to LV you can use the Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker Run your mp3 file through and it will tell you the volume. In your case it was 83.9 dB. So you can easily calculate how far off you are till 89 dB: (89-84 = 5) So the number you have to input in the Amplify box should be 5. It's quite a handy program and I use it on all my files :)
adjusted the silence between a few of the paragraphs
:? ah thank you for notifying me, but as soon as you change even a small bit (even only silences) it is helpful to give the PLer the exact time stamps, because we have to Spot check that not some part of the text is also cut out by mistake. (it already happened to files, so we are cautious). Now since you didn't give me exact spots to check, I had to err on the side of caution and relisten to it all. It does save time to the PLer to give exact spots of all the corrections done. That is why usually you should only correct the Spots that are mentioned in the PL notes.

No worries this time, I listen to it all and all is well :) So only the volume needs changing, nothing else ! Could you reupload one final time please ?
I loved reading this! Give me some good, old fashioned gothic stories and I'm in heaven!
excellent, maybe I'll hear you again in another Rover story. :9: Have you seen the latest issue that still has some sections open ? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85345 Not sure if they are ghost stories, but they sound interesting nonetheless :)

Sonia

Alright, I think I got it all this time! I used the Checker program, and it passed all the specs. :D Hopefully you won't have to help me out yet again! Thank you for all your patience as I learn!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_5_smith_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NarratorKD wrote: February 17th, 2021, 2:38 pmAlright, I think I got it all this time! I used the Checker program, and it passed all the specs. :D Hopefully you won't have to help me out yet again! Thank you for all your patience as I learn!
you're welcome, and you did really well for your first recording. The learning curve is normal for everybody, I haven't forgotten my first attempts :? and they didn't sound as nice as yours.

And now all is PL ok. Yes the Checker is a great program, I use it on every mp3 file before I upload, it helps me find the technical errors before I release my recordings for PL.

Thanks !

Now only waiting for Simona's noise-cleaning. I will wait another day or two to see if she can come it to do them... but the project is very close to cataloguing. :9:

Sonia
NarratorKD

Post by NarratorKD »

Do I need to post the link anywhere else now, or is my bit on it all wrapped up?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NarratorKD wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:11 amDo I need to post the link anywhere else now, or is my bit on it all wrapped up?
no you're done for this project :thumbs: where did you think you had to upload it again ? :hmm:

I am only waiting for one final correction from Simona, and then I will launch the cataloguing process. Since it's only a small noise-cleaning correction, I will do that tomorrow if she hasn't logged in by then. No point in holding up the project for longer. For the weekend you can show your first project around to friends and family (bragging rights :mrgreen:)

Sonia
NarratorKD

Post by NarratorKD »

Kitty wrote: February 18th, 2021, 12:17 pm
NarratorKD wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:11 amDo I need to post the link anywhere else now, or is my bit on it all wrapped up?
no you're done for this project :thumbs: where did you think you had to upload it again ? :hmm:

I am only waiting for one final correction from Simona, and then I will launch the cataloguing process. Since it's only a small noise-cleaning correction, I will do that tomorrow if she hasn't logged in by then. No point in holding up the project for longer. For the weekend you can show your first project around to friends and family (bragging rights :mrgreen:)

Sonia
I just wanted to be certain, since I'm still figuring out ask the steps! 😁👍
Awesome! I'm excited!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok Simona hasn't logged in anymore and since the noise cleaning was a minor adjustment to her file and otherwise all was perfect, I corrected it myself and reuploaded and checked a second time. All is well and PL ok now and I will proceed to catalogue the project. No point in holding it up any longer.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful and interesting narrations. This project has been realized by 6 readers: Hanna, Jim, Kate, Katrina, Simona and Alan :clap: it is a cool mix of voices. :9:

I will post the link back as soon as it's in the catalogue.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DONE !

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/rover-01-04-by-various/

moving over to Completed :)

Sonia
SimonaLovin

Post by SimonaLovin »

Sonia,

Thank you for listening to section 6 and providing feedback. I have addressed the noise aspect as you suggested. I think the hum comes from my own laptop, which is pretty old. The revised recording has been uploaded to: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0104_6_smith_128kb.mp3.

Please let me know if anything else is needed. Thanks again!
Simona
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SimonaLovin wrote: February 27th, 2021, 6:08 pmI have addressed the noise aspect as you suggested. I think the hum comes from my own laptop, which is pretty old.
oh there you are, Simona. Thank for the cleanup, but as I didn't hear back from you, I didn't want to hold up the project too long anymore, see here: viewtopic.php?p=1856636#p1856636
It was only a minor adjustment, so I quickly did it myself and catalogued the project. No worries. You can see the link to the finished product a few posts above this one.

If you care to join other Rover magazines, there is Number 7 currently open for claims. Maybe I'll see you there. :)

This project here is now in Completed and usually not updated anymore.

Sonia
SimonaLovin

Post by SimonaLovin »

Thank you, Sonia!!! :clap:

Best,
Simona